First Post

Hello Falcon Faithful, I am new to the boards but i have been coming here for years. They have been a bit more logical than the MV7 days but i am not here to talk about the past. There is nothing i love more than to talk about my falcons. I was born in 88 but i have been a fan since 87 (doesnt make much sense i know). But i look forward to healthy falcons discussions in the near future. As always, GO FALCONS

But i look forward to healthy falcons discussions in the near future. As always, GO FALCONS

We need to know your stance on several players before you can join the club. Sort of like determining whether or not you are a Falcon message board republican vs Democrat

1) Jamaal Anderson

2) Erik Coleman

3) Justin Blalock

4) Micheal Jenkins

5) William Moore

6) Brent Grimes

7) Brian Williams

Be careful and put a lot of thought into this before answering. I guarantee you will thank me later! :P

Edited by peoriabird

We need to know your stance on several players before you can join the club. Sort of like determining whether or not you are a Falcon message board republican vs Democrat

1) Jamaal Anderson

2) Erik Coleman

3) Justin Blaylock

4) Micheal Jenkins

5) William Moore

6) Brent Grimes

7) Brian Williams

Be careful and put a lot of thought into this before answering. I guarantee you will thank me later! :P

1) Jamaal is not Chris Doleman we all know that by now. But that does not mean he does not have value (assuming he is on our team). At this point he is an overgrown (height wise) DT. He can be useful disrupting passes from QBs who like to push the ball down the middle of the field like Drew Brees. At this point if JA got 5 sacks i would be satisfied just because that would be way more than he has given us over three years

2) Erik is solid but can be replaced, simple as that. Im not saying hand the job to William Moore, but we need more out of Erik. He was suppose to be our best DB going into last year. Every time we needed a play it was not Erik Coleman making it. Not using that against him because playmaking is not his game. If playmaking is William Moore's game (as it was his junior year) and he beats him out then so be it.

3) Blalock is solid. He is not Steve Hutchinson by any means but he does his job. Of course we would like a Pro Bowler at the position but truth be told he is better than over half of Starting OG's playing his position.

4) I can write a book on this guy. I will say he is a classy veteran on our team but not the number 2 we need to go with someone like Roddy on the other side. Its not that he doesnt have the ability but he does not put it together on a game to game basis. One game he looks like Johnnie Taylor (See Oakland game 2008) and the next he looks like Peerless Price (Bears game 2009 along with a bunch of others). Consistency is his problem and it is even more troubling that he is going into his 7th season. He is no longer a young developing receiver, he is what he is at this point. We can do better, but when he decides to play we have one heck of a WR duo.

5) The jury is still out on William. Havent seen him play one meaningful snap but we have to see. He has a nose for the ball and can lay the wood but a lot of those players have come through the league and failed miserably. We have to see what we have in this kid before we hand him the keys to the car (SS spot)

6) I really would not be nervous to have Brent starting opposite Dunta come week 1. He is a flat out ballhawk with unique atletic ability for his size (see New Orleans pick off of Brees). We keep underestimating what the change at secondary coach (Tim Lewis) can do for our young secondary. He might not be the biggest but he has the heart of a lion. After all, there are a lot of big CBs in the league but how many of them have the athletic ability of Grimes?

7) Solid when he was in there but not irreplaceble. He deserves a spot on our team but if he gets beat out in TC then so be it. At 31 (when the season starts), he is nothing more than a stop gap (if that). Played well when before the injury last year but we cannot place our fortunes on a CB coming off such a severe injury, oppose to two CBs (Grimes and Owens) who finished the season so strong.

1) Jamaal is not Chris Doleman we all know that by now. But that does not mean he does not have value (assuming he is on our team). At this point he is an overgrown (height wise) DT. He can be useful disrupting passes from QBs who like to push the ball down the middle of the field like Drew Brees. At this point if JA got 5 sacks i would be satisfied just because that would be way more than he has given us over three years

2) Erik is solid but can be replaced, simple as that. Im not saying hand the job to William Moore, but we need more out of Erik. He was suppose to be our best DB going into last year. Every time we needed a play it was not Erik Coleman making it. Not using that against him because playmaking is not his game. If playmaking is William Moore's game (as it was his junior year) and he beats him out then so be it.

3) Blalock is solid. He is not Steve Hutchinson by any means but he does his job. Of course we would like a Pro Bowler at the position but truth be told he is better than over half of Starting OG's playing his position.

4) I can write a book on this guy. I will say he is a classy veteran on our team but not the number 2 we need to go with someone like Roddy on the other side. Its not that he doesnt have the ability but he does not put it together on a game to game basis. One game he looks like Johnnie Taylor (See Oakland game 2008) and the next he looks like Peerless Price (Bears game 2009 along with a bunch of others). Consistency is his problem and it is even more troubling that he is going into his 7th season. He is no longer a young developing receiver, he is what he is at this point. We can do better, but when he decides to play we have one heck of a WR duo.

5) The jury is still out on William. Havent seen him play one meaningful snap but we have to see. He has a nose for the ball and can lay the wood but a lot of those players have come through the league and failed miserably. We have to see what we have in this kid before we hand him the keys to the car (SS spot)

6) I really would not be nervous to have Brent starting opposite Dunta come week 1. He is a flat out ballhawk with unique atletic ability for his size (see New Orleans pick off of Brees). We keep underestimating what the change at secondary coach (Tim Lewis) can do for our young secondary. He might not be the biggest but he has the heart of a lion. After all, there are a lot of big CBs in the league but how many of them have the athletic ability of Grimes?

7) Solid when he was in there but not irreplaceble. He deserves a spot on our team but if he gets beat out in TC then so be it. At 31 (when the season starts), he is nothing more than a stop gap (if that). Played well when before the injury last year but we cannot place our fortunes on a CB coming off such a severe injury, oppose to two CBs (Grimes and Owens) who finished the season so strong.

Great answers! I agree with all of your points! Welcome aboard! You might have trouble with some posters like FFS1970 but I'll have your back!

1) Jamaal Anderson

2) Erik Coleman

3) Justin Blalock

4) Micheal Jenkins

5) William Moore

6) Brent Grimes

7) Brian Williams

i'd like to tackle these as well:

jamaal anderson

my take is this guy is not what we thought he was when we drafted him. we wanted a pass rusher. he is not that. but he is a good d-lineman. not worth a top 10 pick, but so is many handfuls of previous players that have been drafted in the top 10. what he is is a versatile lineman capable of defending the run and penetrating the line of scrimmage. he is well worth a roster spot contrary to many opinions on this board.

erik coleman

more of a FS, he had a fantastic year in 2008. 2009 he dropped off a little due to playing SS. i think he will start again at SS until (if) william moore takes that spot and coleman becomes the primary backup at both FS and SS. even though decoud played lights out at FS in 2009, i don't find it out of the realm of possibility that coleman could take FS back if moore does in fact take SS. coleman is a valuable asset to our secondary and can play either safety position well.

justin blalock

i think this guy has been about what you'd expect of a 2nd round guard. i don't hear is name called a whole lot, so that tells me he's doing something right. however, ryan did see a lot of pressure up the middle of the pocket, so he likely needs to improve his pass protection. i'd say blalock is serviceable but could be upgraded.

michael jenkins

previous assessment i agree with. he is too inconsistent in receiving but excels at down field blocking.

william moore

potential is a dangerous word and that's all you have with this guy right now. this year he needs to prove his worth because smith and co. will not stand for another injury plagued season out of this guy.

brent grimes

plays much bigger than his size. he'd be an all pro if he was 5'10". however, his athleticism is off the charts and i'd be okay with him starting opposite dunta.

brian williams

a stop-gap roster spot. he provides valuable veteran leadership, but i don't see him being a significant contributor this year. he likely will have lost a step due to the knee injury, and my guess is he'll be a nickel back. he will likely not be on the roster in 1-2 years in my opinion.

i'd like to tackle these as well:

jamaal anderson

my take is this guy is not what we thought he was when we drafted him. we wanted a pass rusher. he is not that. but he is a good d-lineman. not worth a top 10 pick, but so is many handfuls of previous players that have been drafted in the top 10. what he is is a versatile lineman capable of defending the run and penetrating the line of scrimmage. he is well worth a roster spot contrary to many opinions on this board.

erik coleman

more of a FS, he had a fantastic year in 2008. 2009 he dropped off a little due to playing SS. i think he will start again at SS until (if) william moore takes that spot and coleman becomes the primary backup at both FS and SS. even though decoud played lights out at FS in 2009, i don't find it out of the realm of possibility that coleman could take FS back if moore does in fact take SS. coleman is a valuable asset to our secondary and can play either safety position well.

justin blalock

i think this guy has been about what you'd expect of a 2nd round guard. i don't hear is name called a whole lot, so that tells me he's doing something right. however, ryan did see a lot of pressure up the middle of the pocket, so he likely needs to improve his pass protection. i'd say blalock is serviceable but could be upgraded.

michael jenkins

previous assessment i agree with. he is too inconsistent in receiving but excels at down field blocking.

william moore

potential is a dangerous word and that's all you have with this guy right now. this year he needs to prove his worth because smith and co. will not stand for another injury plagued season out of this guy.

brent grimes

plays much bigger than his size. he'd be an all pro if he was 5'10". however, his athleticism is off the charts and i'd be okay with him starting opposite dunta.

brian williams

a stop-gap roster spot. he provides valuable veteran leadership, but i don't see him being a significant contributor this year. he likely will have lost a step due to the knee injury, and my guess is he'll be a nickel back. he will likely not be on the roster in 1-2 years in my opinion.

Nice to see some more moderates on this boards. Nice assessments.

Guest Regular Guy

Welcome! If TATF (Talk About The Falcons) gets to be too insane for ya, come on down to ABF (Anything But Football). That's where a lot of us hang out during the off season!