This topic has probably appeared before, but do you pull for other SEC teams

Xnex

I would imagine that the vast majority of fans here are also SEC fans, especially Dawg fans. But We have fans of several schools who post he on occassion, some of which are not SEC schools. Ever since SC joined the conf. I have supported other SEC schools in games against teams outside the SEC with rare exception. I also know that the familiar chant of "SEC, SEC" can usually be heard making its way around a stadium or arena whenever an SEC school is involved. But I don't think those arenas are full of fans from other SEC teams, it's just that whichever SEC team is involved in that particular game will always make sure they let the world know that they are a member of the SEC. And whenever I hear that chant at games it makes me proud for some reason and I am pleased that the SEC team in question is doing well in that game.

My questions are:

1) Do most of the posters on this board feel the same way about pulling for the conference team in most instances?

2) Is there a particular SEC team that you absolutely cannot pull for no matter who they are playing, ala "If UF is playing the Taliban, I MIGHT have to pull for the Taliban"?

since my team really hasn't beaten an SEC team enough to create any hatred, I might be able to pull for other SEC teams when fans of original SEC teams may have develped hate for other teams. But if Clemson were to waltz into the SEC I think I could support them when they played outside the conference.

3) Do you think fans of teams in other conferences feel the same way about their conferences or is this particular behavior nearly exclusive to the SEC, or am I mistaken and most SEC fans would rather die than pull for another SEC team?

4) If your SEC team could not win a particular title, but all other SEC teams were in the running for it, which one of the schools would you pull for? I believe Vandy would get the most votes in this scenerio since they have mainly been a non threat to most of the schools here, and thus they would curry the most favor with other SEC fans. Heck SC might even get some support on this one because we have largely been unable to really compete in either football or basketball.

5) How ready are you for summer to get over with just so practice and games can get started?

My questions are:

1) Do most of the posters on this board feel the same way about pulling for the conference team in most instances? In most instances yes, but there are a few teams outside of the SEC that I do like & pull for (i.e. I'm a Kansas basketball fan & pull for them against most any SEC teams not named Georgia)

2) Is there a particular SEC team that you absolutely cannot pull for no matter who they are playing, ala "If UF is playing the Taliban, I MIGHT have to pull for the Taliban"?

UF, I don't think there is any "MIGHT" about it if the gaytors were to play the Taliban. Tennessee & Alabama, I'd probably pull for a tie between them and the Taliban.

3) Do you think fans of teams in other conferences feel the same way about their conferences or is this particular behavior nearly exclusive to the SEC, or am I mistaken and most SEC fans would rather die than pull for another SEC team? I don't think pulling for other teams in inter-conference games is exclusive to the SEC. I can't see Ohio St. pulling for Michigan in the NC game, but they might pull for Iowa or Penn St. if they were playing for the NC.

4) If your SEC team could not win a particular title, but all other SEC teams were in the running for it, which one of the schools would you pull for? I believe Vandy would get the most votes in this scenerio since they have mainly been a non threat to most of the schools here, and thus they would curry the most favor with other SEC fans. Heck SC might even get some support on this one because we have largely been unable to really compete in either football or basketball. Auburn for me. I've got so many friends & family that went there and/or are fans. I grew up 40 miles from there, so they are my 2nd favorite SEC team.

5) How ready are you for summer to get over with just so practice and games can get started? Can't even put it into words.

The only rationale for the persistent "conference pride" that I can halfway understand is that if a team is perceived to be in a tough conference, then that can help them in the BCS beauty contest.

But in sports where championships are actually settled on the field it makes no sense to me. I will never understand how a UGA fan can be happy when Florida wins a national championship.

I've always been a die hard UGA fan and I always will be. I graduated from UGA in 2008 and loved every minute of it. As far as other SEC schools, I root for anybody playing against Florida.

When it comes to bowl season, I root for all of the SEC teams. Except for Florida.

Eh, outside of UGA I'll usually root for Vanderbilt in just about every game they play (except when they play us) every other game is conditional for the most part.. I'll root for SEC schools most of the time when they're playing out of conference schools, with the exception of Florida and most of the time Tennessee and recently Arkansas.. but yeah, there is a good bit of SEC pride in me.

But in sports where championships are actually settled on the field it makes no sense to me. I will never understand how a UGA fan can be happy when Florida wins a national championship.

Me neither. I didn't even want Bama to win. But I'll be more than happy to throw SEC dominance in other people's faces. :lol:

It actually pained me to see Florida beat Cincy. I mean... I have respect as a fan and blah blah blah... but I do not ever like to see Florida win.

What's funny to me is that as much of a rivalry as UF has with UGA and FSU... a lot of Gator fans care most about beating Tennessee every year. Then again, I think everyone hates UT. :lol:

I generally do pull for the conference. Even if I completely despise the team, I will usually pull for any SEC school. There are exceptions, but for the most part...yeah.

I would probably hope UF and UT would win. But I would also hope their mascots would get violated, their QB would suffer broken bones (hey, they have all spring and summer to heal..no big loss), and possibly even tornado warnings and flash floods for their fans. Is that wrong? I don't care.

Other conferences feel the same, just not to the same degree. SEC fans are rabid about their football.

I recently have trouble hating Alabama. I like the football team, but hate Nick Saban. But I don't mind them all that much. Auburn would be another team that never bothered me. I liked Tuberville, and the UGA vs AUB game is always one of the best games on the schedule. If a black hole formed and we had to throw a few schools in to stop it, I would gladly volunteer UT, UF, SC, KY. LSU has been thru enough. They get a stay of execution. Put the Saints in their place.

I pull for whoever put UGA in the best position to be successful. As much as it pains me, even if it means that I have to pull for UF or Tenn. I will. I think I just puked in my mouth a little!

yep there is only 1 reason i hope a rival wins is if it helps out uga.. other than that I hope they lose every game they play in every sport.