A little Falcons chat on nfl.com

HashMark

Hitesh, Atlanta12:03 PM ETHey Pat, Can the Falcons challenge the Saints for the NFC South Crown? Did the Falcons do enough in the draft and offseason to make that happen?

Pat Kirwan, NFL.comI think they are capable of challenging the Saints. I'm a big fan of Matt Ryan and his receivers. My concerns are for your run defense and maybe the pass rush. But I would not be suerprised if you take them right to the end of the season for the division title. Pat Kirwan, NFL.comThe addition of Dunta Robinson at CB gives the Falcond a chance to slow down the Saints' offense. Last year you did score 50 total points in two games against the Saints. So if you can slow their scoring machine, you're right in it.

Look at how well our run defense performed later on in the season. In fact, look at how we shut down the #1 rushing team in the league in their house. I'm not worried about our run defense. Our defense needs to work on the pass defense and causing turnovers. Our offense needs to work on making explosive plays and turnovers. I think we can do both.

Look at how well our run defense performed later on in the season. In fact, look at how we shut down the #1 rushing team in the league in their house. I'm not worried about our run defense. Our defense needs to work on the pass defense and causing turnovers. Our offense needs to work on making explosive plays and turnovers. I think we can do both.

Glad that Kirwin is sweet on the Falcons ... but he did fall back to a common ill-conceived perception of the Falcons.

The Falcons run defense was not a weakness last year.

I would like to point out as well ... that the Falcons will be helped by Robinson plus 4 top draft picks this year (Jerry, Moore, Weatherspoon, Peters) with Franks a potential contributor.

Glad that Kirwin is sweet on the Falcons ... but he did fall back to a common ill-conceived perception of the Falcons.

The Falcons run defense was not a weakness last year.

I would like to point out as well ... that the Falcons will be helped by Robinson plus 4 top draft picks this year (Jerry, Moore, Weatherspoon, Peters) with Franks a potential contributor.

I try explaining that to haters and they just wont listen. They'll soon see. I expect for our top picks on defense to rise to the pressure. I got a feeling Moore will have a tremendous season and really push Coleman for the starting role. With rotation Smitty wants to use on the d-line I expect Jerry to have a major impact without needing as bad as we did last season, that is why we got Peters correct?

I was surprised he brought up the run D too. That's not the problem at all, lack of pass rush and bad corner play killed us last year.

Sorry Sucs and Panties, but you guys pretty much out of the race before it gets started.

i'm also pretty sure that it will be us or the saints. but since our playoff appearance in '08 i'm no too confident in counting out (i hope this term does exist in english) teams that early.

Hitesh, Atlanta12:03 PM ETHey Pat, Can the Falcons challenge the Saints for the NFC South Crown? Did the Falcons do enough in the draft and offseason to make that happen?

Pat Kirwan, NFL.comI think they are capable of challenging the Saints. I'm a big fan of Matt Ryan and his receivers. My concerns are for your run defense and maybe the pass rush. But I would not be suerprised if you take them right to the end of the season for the division title. Pat Kirwan, NFL.comThe addition of Dunta Robinson at CB gives the Falcond a chance to slow down the Saints' offense. Last year you did score 50 total points in two games against the Saints. So if you can slow their scoring machine, you're right in it.

We lost to them last year by a total of 11 pts. I agree! Better defense and we're much better than them. Oh and perhaps winning on the road helps a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'll split with New Orleans this year. Even if we don't win the division and the Saints win one more game then us (or even if we finish with the same record and they win the tiebreaker), I still think we can get a wildcard spot.

There's nothing wrong with our run D... ????

Can't wait for the season to start.

I think with the addition of Robinson in FA pass defense has been and will be and has been our biggest off season focus our run D got off to rough start last year but came on strong at the end.Pass Rush has always been a question but we are looking for big things from Peters Jerry and Babs inside to free up JA 55.Sid and Biermann on the outside.I'm hoping BVG blitz's more this year especially on early downs.

What week do we play the Saints the first time? I think with the addition of Robinson and Weatherspoon to this defense we should slow them down. Especially if its a few weeks into the season that way they both settle into their new positions and build some chemistry with their new teammates.

What week do we play the Saints the first time? I think with the addition of Robinson and Weatherspoon to this defense we should slow them down. Especially if its a few weeks into the season that way they both settle into their new positions and build some chemistry with their new teammates.

3rd week, 9/26. The addition of Spoon is going to do wonders. It was the short, intermediate passes, screens to Bush, Shockey, and Thomas that killed us. Obviously we need to be concerned about the big play, but better coverage from our LBs and Secondary, we win both games easy.

Obviously Spoon isn't the single antidote, but between him, the improved secondary, and the continued maturity of our young players, we are a force to contend with.

Edited by paulitik

3rd week, 9/26. The addition of Spoon is going to do wonders. It was the short, intermediate passes, screens to Bush, Shockey, and Thomas that killed us. Obviously we need to be concerned about the big play, but better coverage from our LBs and Secondary, we win both games easy.

Obviously Spoon isn't the single antidote, but between him, the improved secondary, and the continued maturity of our young players, we are a force to contend with.

Awe yes yes!! The screens! The screens! Saints used it to perfection on most of their opponents. We must

Stop the screen. I can't highlight that enough