Another UF player arrested

unconquered.

Florida Gators wide receiver Frankie Hammond arrested, charged with DUI

Blood alcohol level well over legal limit.

GAINESVILLE – University police arrested Frankie Hammond early Sunday morning on DUI and liquor possession charges after the Florida wide receiver was allegedly speeding, swerving and driving with open bottles of Crown Royal whiskey in his car.

Hammond, 20, has been suspended from all team activities, according to team spokesman Steve McClain. He was booked at 4:47 a.m. and released from Alachua County jail Sunday afternoon on his own recognizance, according to the jail front office.

UPD officer Samuel Delucca detected Hammond driving faster than 45 miles per hour in a 20-mph zone while swerving on Gale Lemerand Drive on the UF campus at 2:09 a.m., according to a police report provided by Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

The "uncoordinated" Hammond – with slurred speech, bloodshot and "glassy" eyes -- failed his sobriety field tests and registered breath samples of 0.188 and 0.191, according to the report. The legal limit for blood alcohol content is 0.08.

Police found two open 750-ml bottles of Crown Royal whiskey in Hammond's tan Mercury, according to the report, one in the back seat and one in the trunk.

The Sentinel left a message for UPD spokesman Jeff Holcomb for more details on the case.

Hammond is at least the 28th Gator to be arrested in the Urban Meyer era. The team's last DUI came on Dec. 1, when defensive end Carlos Dunlap fell asleep at the wheel four days before the Southeastern Conference Championship Game.

The last Gator arrested was former UF defensive tackle Gary Brown in February for misdemeanor battery charges.

Hammond, a rising redshirt sophomore from Hollywood Hallandale, entered the summer expecting to be a major part of Florida's rebuilt receivers core. Hammond caught four passes for 57 yards as a reserve last season.

The general consensus Im seeing from most Gator fans on most of our boards is just kick him off the team. We are all growing tired of this song and dance and are ready for some harsher treatment of these guys t get the dang point across. I for one am OVER it!

The general consensus Im seeing from most Gator fans on most of our boards is just kick him off the team. We are all growing tired of this song and dance and are ready for some harsher treatment of these guys t get the dang point across. I for one am OVER it!

With CU M as coach? We are more likely to see him suspended for a half then kicked off the team ;)

We all know that kids are going to make bad errors in judgment, but what's interesting to see is how those in charge respond and discipline kids when they make those judgment errors. Meyer is one of the coaches who doesn't seem to be a strict disciplinarian. He seems to set the example to the UF kids that winning is the most important thing. They are special since they are athletes and do not have to face consequences for their actions as long as they can win, or help the team win, on the field.

Not saying it's definitely the case, just what it seems to be.

I will point out that the last 2 players that have gotten into trouble have been kicked off the team by Urban. The last being former 5 star DT Gary Brown. I belive hes trying to set a new standard with these young men but it should have already happened before it came to this.

I will point out that the last 2 players that have gotten into trouble have been kicked off the team by Urban. The last being former 5 star DT Gary Brown. I belive hes trying to set a new standard with these young men but it should have already happened before it came to this.

I hope he is trying to set a new standard, not just because it's UF, all coaches should be. Many young athletes have a sense of entitlement and a belief that rules/laws don't apply to them. In large part that's due to coaches and those in positions of authority overlooking and sweeping under the rug problems and issues that these athletes have. I believe that coaches, high school, AAU, & college, all have a responsibility to make these athletes not only better players, but better men (and women) as well.

Oh well another day another arrest (regardless of team) and for a DUI for that matter which is soo dang dangerous, when will these guys figure it out. You know it's not due to coaches not talking to the kids and trying to help them see how important it is to make good decisions. Hammond is fortunate with that blood alcohol level that high that he didn't kill anyone. I have seen a lot of Gator fan's comment on this and they almost all echo jgator's comments in this thread. They are like many fan bases and just want this to end and enough is enough. I ask again when will these kids stop making these type of dumb decisions? As a fan and I can imagine as a coaching staff you just hit your head up against the wall.

I just dont understand especially in a town like Gainsville or Athens or any college town how first these kids cant find someone to catch a ride home with or why their friends let them drive home. I do know in Dunlaps case his friends took him home and left him there and he made the choice to leave after everyone was gone. I mean you dont want to take a kids college experience away but its getting to the point where the coaches are going to have to tell these kids they cant go out and drink because they aren't smart enough to make a responsible choice for themselves an the safety of others.

• 3 weeks later...

so any update on this? i saw this thread on gatorcountry.

question on frankie

it seems since it happened on campus there are a different set of rules regarding punishment.

Yeah I read that thread last night. As with any job or school, if you commit a crime on the premises, it's more than likely going to come with harsher punishments. I definitely think a suspension is in order, and not one of those soft little one half suspensions or slap-on-the-wrist suspensions either. I'm talking 2-3 games.

Carlos Dunlap was the poster child of how not to conduct yourself only a few months ago, and then you're going to go do the same thing after your whole team comes together and creates a motto of "No prima donnas, no rock stars"? You really couldn't just drink at home, or wait until you're of legal age? The stupidity of people sometimes amazes me, especially when someone on your team just committed the same crime that had a huge impact on the SEC Championship Game.

But, they're kids, what are you gonna do I guess?

Yeah I read that thread last night. As with any job or school, if you commit a crime on the premises, it's more than likely going to come with harsher punishments. I definitely think a suspension is in order, and not one of those soft little one half suspensions or slap-on-the-wrist suspensions either. I'm talking 2-3 games.

Carlos Dunlap was the poster child of how not to conduct yourself only a few months ago, and then you're going to go do the same thing after your whole team comes together and creates a motto of "No prima donnas, no rock stars"? You really couldn't just drink at home, or wait until you're of legal age? The stupidity of people sometimes amazes me, especially when someone on your team just committed the same crime that had a huge impact on the SEC Championship Game.

But, they're kids, what are you gonna do I guess?

I agree on the suspension comment.. IMO it needs to be more than a slap on the wrist. I am sure meyer and the staff have continually impressed on the players to not screw up like frankie did and to do this so shortly after what happened with dunlap just says he isn't making sound judgments/decisions. They are indeed young, but most know the difference between right and wrong even though it's hard to believe it with some of the decisions they make. I just don't understand how these kids just can't wait to drink. They have decades worth of drinking or if you drink just stay in.

It still has to be ruled on by the school judiciary committee. Once that ruling is made then Urban will go from there. I believe you might see a 6 game suspension or something in that neighborhood but the whole team has been feeling the wrath of this having to do stadiums everyday and not early in the morning either. They have really had to suffer through it even the new incoming freshmen and needless to say it hasnt made Hammond very popular with his teammates.

It still has to be ruled on by the school judiciary committee. Once that ruling is made then Urban will go from there. I believe you might see a 6 game suspension or something in that neighborhood but the whole team has been feeling the wrath of this having to do stadiums everyday and not early in the morning either. They have really had to suffer through it even the new incoming freshmen and needless to say it hasnt made Hammond very popular with his teammates.

That's awesome. Urban needs to keep that policy. One of them does something stupid, then they all get punished.

These guys need to look out for each other.

thanks for the info. On the suspension it will be interesting to see what meyer does there, but peer pressure from teammates is one of the biggest factors in keep guys in line.