FedEx offers 10M per year to BCS Conference to add Memphis

Unknøwn

FedEx reportedly is prepared to deliver big bucks to any BCS conference willing to add the University of Memphis.

FedEx’s chief executive, Fred Smith, has told conferences his company would pay one of them up to $10 million a year if they invite Memphis, CBSSports.com reported Saturday.

An anonymous source described as close to the Memphis athletic program told CBSSports.com: "It could be $10 million every year for a conference to use however it sees fit. When you think of the big picture, it could be the equivalent of a five-year, $50 million contract or a 10-year, $100-million contract. Fred is talking about a massive amount of money."

FedEx is based in Memphis. Cannon Smith, son of the company’s CEO, is a quarterback for Memphis. He sat out last season after transferring from Miami.

FedEx recently severed its ties after 21 years as a sponsor of the Orange Bowl. That could have freed up the money FedEx is talking about spending as an incentive to get a BCS conference to take Memphis, a source told CBSSports.com.

Memphis is a member of Conference USA. Last season, the Tigers went 2-10 and finished at the bottom of Conference USA’s East Division.

Now they have no relevance in football but a move to the ACC/Big East wouldn't be entirely stupid do to their recent history in basketball they are a power and I will take 10 million a year as a conference to help pad my better teams records and make big money with another entrant in the basketball tourney.

However the entire idea that we are now bribing conferences to take schools shows how values are no longer a part of college football at all.

Edited by pured-hallfan

Now they have no relevance in football but a move to the ACC/Big East wouldn't be entirely stupid do to their recent history in basketball they are a power and I will take 10 million a year as a conference to help pad my better teams records and make big money with another entrant in the basketball tourney.

However the entire idea that we are now bribing conferences to take schools shows how values are no longer a part of college football at all.

The only way Memhis is going to make it to a major conference is to "bribe" someone. They are a Tier 4 academic university. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there in the rankings, not much better than a Junior College (no offense to Junior Colleges meant).