Enough with the get TO chants and other "I want us to get this and that free agent stuff

jes2400

I read yet another post where some one suggested we get Terrel Owens, also some suggesting we get other free agents. First with TO. If he's such a commodity why hasn't any of the other 31 teams been lighting up his phone? There are other teams out there with far more pressing needs at WR , and they're not even looking hard at him. That should tell you something. As far as other free agents are concerned, the poster suggested a couple FA's could put us over the top. No, developing the fine young talent we have with guidance and mentoring from our vets and staying injury free will put us over the top. Signing a lot of stars won't guarantee a championship. Look at the Redskins and baseball's Mets. Every year the Skins get some of the biggest names out there and yet can't even make the playoffs. The Mets are constantly trying to out do the Yankees in signing people and always miss the post season. Even if we could buy a Superbowl, I wouldn't want to. I don't want to just win a Superbowl, I want to do that and have a great team for years to come. A couple of teams did buy a Title, but with disasterous results. Remember when the 49'ers signed Deion, Ken Norton, and all some other big names with deferred contracts? They won a Superbowl, but it basically destroyed the franchise. They're just now starting to be relevent again. The Marlins also did it in baseball and almost immediatly got rid of a chunk of their roster. I have a lot of confidence in this organization they know what they're doing. I didn't feel like that during the Smiths and Ken Herock era. Just be patient, this team's gonna be good.

Edited by jes2400

I read yet another post where some one suggested we get Terrel Owens, also some suggesting we get other free agents. First with TO. If he's such a commodity why hasn't any of the other 31 teams been lighting up his phone? There are other teams out there with far more pressing needs at WR , and they're not even looking hard at him. That should tell you something. As far as other free agents are concerned, the poster suggested a couple FA's could put us over the top. No, developing the fine young talent we have with guidance and mentoring from our vets and staying injury free will put us over the top. Signing a lot of stars won't guarantee a championship. Look at the Redskins and baseball's Mets. Every year the Skins get some of the biggest names out there and yet can't even make the playoffs. The Mets are constantly trying to out do the Yankees in signing people and always miss the post season. Even if we could buy a Superbowl, I wouldn't want to. I don't want to just win a Superbowl, I want to do that and have a great team for years to come. A couple of teams did buy a Title, but with disasterous results. Remember when the 49'ers signed Deion, Ken Norton, and all some other big names with deferred contracts? They won a Superbowl, but it basically destroyed the franchise. They're just now starting to be relevent again. The Marlins also did it in baseball and almost immediatly got rid of a chunk of their roster. I have a lot of confidence in this organization they know what they're doing. I didn't feel like that during the Smiths and Ken Herock era. Just be patient, this team's gonna be good.

What about the Yankees and Red Sox? They sign big names and big contracts every year and they are always in the hunt.The Patriots took a chance on Randy Moss when everyone said he was a cancer and was finished.The 49ers hardly destroyed their franchise either. They brought those guys in, kicked the snot out of San Diego in the Super Bowl,and continued to go deep into the playoffs for another 5 years.The Marlins did get rid of a chunk of their roster after they won a World series.With free agency the way it is, your window of opportunity is small to win a title.Being complacent and the type of thinking you are conveying only continues to make us next years champions every year.

You can not rely simply on developing young talent. Who do you think aides in the development...the coaches??? While the coaches help, I'm sure 90% of what the youngsters learn comes from learning by watching the veterans. No team is going to be 100% successful just from going with young talent.

While some of the suggested signings may be ridiculous, I believe it is unfair to suggest people shouldn't post their opinions on who they would like to see added.

As far as buying a Super Bowl. Why do you think all these players make big money...to win a Super Bowl. You don't bring someone in if you don't think they are going to help the team achieve the ultimate goal. This isn't just FA's, but draft picks, and undrafted FA's alike.

That's my opinion, but I do suppose you are welcome to yours. SIGN T.O.! (just kidding, please never, ever, ever, think about signing that idiot.)

What about the Yankees and Red Sox? They sign big names and big contracts every year and they are always in the hunt.The Patriots took a chance on Randy Moss when everyone said he was a cancer and was finished.The 49ers hardly destroyed their franchise either. They brought those guys in, kicked the snot out of San Diego in the Super Bowl,and continued to go deep into the playoffs for another 5 years.The Marlins did get rid of a chunk of their roster after they won a World series.With free agency the way it is, your window of opportunity is small to win a title.Being complacent and the type of thinking you are conveying only continues to make us next years champions every year.

Not mortgaging your franchise for one title is not being complacent, it's being smart. The 49ers did ruin themselves. They were good for a couple of years aftrer, not 5: 1996 12-4 lost in 2nd rnd, 1997 13-3 lost NFC game, 1998 12-4 lost in 2nd rnd to us, 1999 is when the bottom dropped. All those players they signed either were gone or got old and they still owed them tons of money, and were way over the salary cap and could'nt add good talent because they couldn't pay for it. 1999 4-12, 2000 6-10, 2001 12-4 but out in the 1st round 2002 10-6 clobbered by the Bucs in 2nd rnd, and the years after that 7-9, 2-14, 4-12, 7-9, 5-11, 7-9, and 8-8 this past season. Buying the Superbowl did ruin that team.You mentioned the Sox and Yankees. They're one of the richest teams in sports in a league with no cap or viable revenue sharing. The Pats sign one or two big names and get the rest of their players through the draft and lesser known free agents, that's why they've been so good for so long. Some of those guys don't become big names until they go there. This is the same pattern TD is following. Buying a championship is a bad idea pure and simple.

Look at how much money NY and Boston spends on those players. Atlanta doesn't have the market to do that, they can barely fill the dome.

I thought Alex Brown might have been a good fit for Atlanta, but I guess the FO didn't.

But getting free agents just for the sake getting them is crazy.

The biggest problem is figuring out who to cut to make room. Johnson and Walker are the two candidates from the DLine. Johnson was a practice squad player that Atl picked up and he got tossed in the fire and did a good job starting. Was he great? no, but he got a lot of experience and will only be better this year. Will he make the team? If he doesn't that means we upgraded and will be better this year if he stays or goes. Walker was a rookie and played in 10 games and was getting better every game. He has to have time to mature. Both those guys have upside, they're getting better every day. There is no way I would replace either with a player in decline.

The same goes for the DE's, There is nobody left that is better with upside.

Terrell Owens is 36 and on decline also. His numbers last year weren't that great and I don't think he's that big of a upgrade over Jenkins, who might be our 3rd receiver this year depending on HD's knee.

You can not rely simply on developing young talent. Who do you think aides in the development...the coaches??? While the coaches help, I'm sure 90% of what the youngsters learn comes from learning by watching the veterans. No team is going to be 100% successful just from going with young talent.

While some of the suggested signings may be ridiculous, I believe it is unfair to suggest people shouldn't post their opinions on who they would like to see added.

As far as buying a Super Bowl. Why do you think all these players make big money...to win a Super Bowl. You don't bring someone in if you don't think they are going to help the team achieve the ultimate goal. This isn't just FA's, but draft picks, and undrafted FA's alike.

That's my opinion, but I do suppose you are welcome to yours. SIGN T.O.! (just kidding, please never, ever, ever, think about signing that idiot.)

I said that in my post, " with guidance and mentoring from our vets". Also, the part about FA's draft picks and UDFA's, that's my point. You need all of those. I know you can't have all young talent, that's not what I'm saying, I'm also not saying we don't need vets, but we don't need a bunch of big money superstars. We need to get 1 or 2 big name players, we did that last year with Gonzales and this year with Robinson, and add a few good vets here and there, and let the youngsters grow, and the vets we already have continue to play well. That's the recipe for a winning team.

Not mortgaging your franchise for one title is not being complacent, it's being smart. The 49ers did ruin themselves. They were good for a couple of years aftrer, not 5: 1996 12-4 lost in 2nd rnd, 1997 13-3 lost NFC game, 1998 12-4 lost in 2nd rnd to us, 1999 is when the bottom dropped. All those players they signed either were gone or got old and they still owed them tons of money, and were way over the salary cap and could'nt add good talent because they couldn't pay for it. 1999 4-12, 2000 6-10, 2001 12-4 but out in the 1st round 2002 10-6 clobbered by the Bucs in 2nd rnd, and the years after that 7-9, 2-14, 4-12, 7-9, 5-11, 7-9, and 8-8 this past season. Buying the Superbowl did ruin that team.You mentioned the Sox and Yankees. They're one of the richest teams in sports in a league with no cap or viable revenue sharing. The Pats sign one or two big names and get the rest of their players through the draft and lesser known free agents, that's why they've been so good for so long. Some of those guys don't become big names until they go there. This is the same pattern TD is following. Buying a championship is a bad idea pure and simple.

So what your saying is;winning a Superbowl, going 13-3, 11-5,12-4,13-3,and 12-4,taking 2 years to rebuild and losing Steve Young, and then coming back and making 2 straight playoff runs is ruined? Are you serious?You left out the 95 season btw, so that is 5 straight years in the playoffs.If that is ruined I will take it all day over the sit around and wait for eternity theory that has won us how many Superbowls? How many consecutive playoff seasons have the Falcons had? -0- It's been playoffs then suck, my entire life. I guess you don't remember them whipping our *** every year?

You sign free agents to fill holes. This team still has a few. TD obviously understands that free agents are necessary, he made the biggest signing in the entire NFL this offseason, at least with regards to salary.

I don't know what Dunta did to chap you off but he wasn't the biggest signing this offseason, salary-wise. Peppers was.

So what your saying is;winning a Superbowl, going 13-3, 11-5,12-4,13-3,and 12-4,taking 2 years to rebuild and losing Steve Young, and then coming back and making 2 straight playoff runs is ruined? Are you serious?You left out the 95 season btw, so that is 5 straight years in the playoffs.If that is ruined I will take it all day over the sit around and wait for eternity theory that has won us how many Superbowls? How many consecutive playoff seasons have the Falcons had? -0- It's been playoffs then suck, my entire life. I guess you don't remember them whipping our *** every year?

Rebuild? with what? Those 5 straight years in the playoffs were before the cap problems from all those big time contracts started to take effect. You talk about how good they WERE, they've missed the playoffs 7 years in a row and 9 out of the last 11 years, and that's all due to the after affects of spending too much money to buy that championship. By the way, now we're whipping their ***.

Rebuild? with what? Those 5 straight years in the playoffs were before the cap problems from all those big time contracts started to take effect. You talk about how good they WERE, they've missed the playoffs 7 years in a row and 9 out of the last 11 years, and that's all due to the after affects of spending too much money to buy that championship. By the way, now we're whipping their ***.

They did what they had to do to win a championship and their streak of great winning teams is even longer than the Dallas cupcakes streak. It's all about winning a championship. Nothing else matters. The entire reason you want to win games is to go to the playoffs,you want to go to the playoffs is to get a chance to go to the Superbowl, you want to go to the Superbowl to do what? WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. There is no argument. They paid the money and got a championship and had a contending team for 5 STRAIGHT YEARS. Do you know how hard that is to do? Good teams don't stay that way long anymore, you take your shot when the window is there. Tampa built through the draft and got a championship, but they turned to **** right after that, so how you conclude the 49ers ruined their team I just can't imagine. According to most of the experts their team isn't far behind ours. Some even think it's better.

They did what they had to do to win a championship and their streak of great winning teams is even longer than the Dallas cupcakes streak. It's all about winning a championship. Nothing else matters. The entire reason you want to win games is to go to the playoffs,you want to go to the playoffs is to get a chance to go to the Superbowl, you want to go to the Superbowl to do what? WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. There is no argument. They paid the money and got a championship and had a contending team for 5 STRAIGHT YEARS. Do you know how hard that is to do? Good teams don't stay that way long anymore, you take your shot when the window is there. Tampa built through the draft and got a championship, but they turned to **** right after that, so how you conclude the 49ers ruined their team I just can't imagine. According to most of the experts their team isn't far behind ours. Some even think it's better.

Here's how. The 49ers were already a dynasty. They were already a good team. They didn't need to spend all that money like they did, and what have they done since:? Nothing. They had a winning record 4years after that Superbowl win, yeah, because it took a while for those contracts to catch up with them. This is a what have you done for me lately league and the 49ers haven't been viable at all. That formula of a spending spree on big names won't work these days anyway.

Here's how. The 49ers were already a dynasty. They were already a good team. They didn't need to spend all that money like they did, and what have they done since:? Nothing. They had a winning record 4years after that Superbowl win, yeah, because it took a while for those contracts to catch up with them. This is a what have you done for me lately league and the 49ers haven't been viable at all. That formula of a spending spree on big names won't work these days anyway.

two years down and they were winners again. It took the Falcons six years to get back to winning after their Superbowl. You cannot possibly believe that the 94 season's spending spree is what has caused them to suck? The ownwership changed, that led to suckiness. And they did need to spend that money because Dallas and Green Bay were knocking them out every year.

two years down and they were winners again. It took the Falcons six years to get back to winning after their Superbowl. You cannot possibly believe that the 94 season's spending spree is what has caused them to suck? The ownwership changed, that led to suckiness. And they did need to spend that money because Dallas and Green Bay were knocking them out every year.

Okay, I quit. You think you're right, I think i'm right, we could go on all day and we'll never convince each other. This is why the season can't get here soon enough! We're all starting to get bored and bicker! Is there a scandal or something out there we could talk about? Maybe USC. Maybe Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll will be distracted and make it easy for us! :lol:

I agree totally. Look at what the Braves accomplished for years by staying within their own organization and draft, with just a free agent tweek here and there.

You are right, sort of. Yes, the Braves did harvest a ton of young talent, but I don't know if I'd call picking up Terry Pendleton, Rafeal Belliard, and Sid Bream all in one year a tweak.

And Greg Maddux, now, there is a tweak.

I agree totally. Look at what the Braves accomplished for years by staying within their own organization and draft, with just a free agent tweek here and there.

And making the blockbuster trade at the deadline every year. Back in the early 90's, Schuerholtz wasn't afraid to go after FA's. He signed Pendleton, Bream, and Belliard his first year at the helm. Hardly bank breakers, but he went after FA's.

The real big signing came in '93 when he signed Maddox. But all these signings were to compliment the young talent that was already here, never to take the place of developing players. A winning formula in building championship teams is developing young players then supplement through FA and the occasional trade for a vet, a path the Falcons are on now.

Hopefully we'll have similar success like the Braves did.

???

oh no, don't jump off your high horse right now, you might fall to your death :rolleyes: what's up with people and their totalitarian mindsets lately? it's an open forum about the Falcons, T.O. is pretty relevant considering he's probably the top WR free agent right now and we have a pretty big question mark at the number 2 position.

???

oh no, don't jump off your high horse right now, you might fall to your death :rolleyes: what's up with people and their totalitarian mindsets lately? it's an open forum about the Falcons, T.O. is pretty relevant considering he's probably the top WR free agent right now and we have a pretty big question mark at the number 2 position.

None of you have explained why, if TO is such a hot commodity, why none of the other 31 teams are ringing his phone? Our #2 WR spot is not that big a question. If MJ doesn't step up, I have no doubt HD our one of the other young talents will.

None of you have explained why, if TO is such a hot commodity, why none of the other 31 teams are ringing his phone? Our #2 WR spot is not that big a question. If MJ doesn't step up, I have no doubt HD our one of the other young talents will.

How are we suppose to know why TO's phone isn't ringing? Who said he is a hot commodity? I think people who think it would be worth a shot just realize that he fits a need for this team. Just because a guy isn't signed, doesn't mean he can't help a team out. Last year Mike Mckenzie sat on his couch over half the season waiting for a call. When the Saints got like 4 corners hurt at the same time, they signed him and a week later he was on Monday Night Football locking down Randy Moss.

It's not as simple as "well, player X hasn't signed so the guy must suck". It's just not that simple?

fair enough, we can trust HD, a young kid who lives off of quick cuts and the like, coming off an ACL tear, to pick up the slack in being our 3rd option in our passing game. that's...logical. but hey, Kerry Meier, someone who's played the WR spot for 4 years should be able to come in the NFL, and pick up the slack as our 3rd option in our passing game. that sounds like an even better situation? Or maybe Weems, who caught all of 2 balls in the last 2 years will become a stud # 2 receiver. nevermind, we'll depend on Finneran, who's probably living off of some cyborg treatment we'll never know about. or better yet, let's trust some UDFAs who broke records at schools that have a game attendance the size of your local high school.

I mean, I'm not saying Michael Jenkins is a big enough hole to deter any playoff push considering we have a healthy, lean Michael frickin' Turner, but to say that spot isn't a big question is asinine. but whatever...