VT informally invited to join the SEC

The landscape of college athletics is about to get very interesting and could have a huge impact on Virginia Tech and the ACC.

The latest conference expansion rumor got cranked up in Atlanta on Thursday night where 790 The Zone reported that Virginia Tech is a target of the SEC for expansion and has been extended an informal invitation to join.

The Hokies have been mentioned along with Texas A&M and Oklahoma. But Tech has thrived in the ACC since joining in 2004.

The Big 10 started this crazy mess by inviting Nebraska and the Cornhuskers are expected to accept Friday. Missouri is also said to be in the Big 10 mix and it might not stop there.

Archie Griffin, the only 2 time Heisman Trophy winner who played at Ohio State was in Roanoke a few weeks ago and weighed in with his thoughts.

"We've had eleven teams for several years and you gotta get at least one more sometime. I think it'll be more than that. I think that when the big 10 expands it will be 3 or 5 teams who knows how many. I think conferences in general are looking to expand. When they look to expand I think they're looking to expand in a big fashion," said Archie Griffin.

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=12632439

UGA plays GT every year and they are SEC/ACC (same with Clemson/South Carolina & UF/FSU), so why would VT have to give up the annual UVA game?

I could see UVA using this rivalry as leverage with VT to try to get an SEC invite. Texas/A&M are said to be tied together, why shouldn't VT/UVA? I'm thinking bigger picture you all are only thinking about what already is in place or already happened.

I could see UVA using this rivalry as leverage with VT to try to get an SEC invite. Texas/A&M are said to be tied together, why shouldn't VT/UVA? I'm thinking bigger picture you all are only thinking about what already is in place or already happened.

UVA doesnt bring anything to the SEC besides VT and academics. We arent worried about the academics part so much.

The one good thing about inviting UVA would be for the wine and cheese vendors in the cities they visit. And they will be quick to tell Vanderbilt to step aside as the brains of the conference. Another good thing would be the breather you get from a brutal schedule when you play them.

UVA doesnt bring anything to the SEC besides VT and academics. We arent worried about the academics part so much.

You all aren't looking at the big picture. UVA offers a lot more than Vandy which is useless in the SEC. I don't think you all realize the potential SEC football has in the state of Virgina. There's a relatively untapped market that's big on football but little in the way of quality big time football to watch. UVA/VT are it when it comes to major football in Virginia, the SEC would be fools to pass up the ratings and customers that those two schools represent in the area. Again, UVA offers more than Vandy ever will.

The one good thing about inviting UVA would be for the wine and cheese vendors in the cities they visit. And they will be quick to tell Vanderbilt to step aside as the brains of the conference. Another good thing would be the breather you get from a brutal schedule when you play them.

:lol:

Stereotypes aside if you know the college football market in Virgina you'd hold off on the snide comments. Did you go to Tech or are you just a fan?

Also, I didn't go to either school and could care less about the rivalry, I just understand the potential of MAJOR college football in the state of VA.

That's true, UVA & VT can try to become a package deal the way Texas/A&M are doing it. But it could also backfire the way it is for Kansas as well.

:lol:

Stereotypes aside if you know the college football market in Virgina you'd hold off on the snide comments. Did you go to Tech or are you just a fan?

Also, I didn't go to either school and could care less about the rivalry, I just understand the potential of MAJOR college football in the state of VA.

I didnt go to either but I do understand football in the state of Virginia and the Hokies OWN this state. UVA is a basketball school and hasnt particilarly done that too well lately. If the SEC wants to lock up the whole state of Virginia they can invite UVA as well but they can lock up 9/10`s of it with just the Hokies.

I didnt go to either but I do understand football in the state of Virginia and the Hokies OWN this state. UVA is a basketball school and hasnt particilarly done that too well lately. If the SEC wants to lock up the whole state of Virginia they can invite UVA as well but they can lock up 9/10`s of it with just the Hokies.

Are you talking about wins or fans? If you're talking about winning seasons you have a point, if you're talking about the number of fans you're mistaken. Northern Virignia is littered with both fan bases and there's a substantial amount of money spent in that area on football. The problem is you all are willing to dismiss UVA on the number of wins they have had recently. They're a very viable source of income for the SEC which is what's driving these mass conference moves. The PAC-10 isn't so concerned about how many wins Colorado has had, merely how much they can make off the school and vice-versa. Colorado was 3-9 in 2009, it doesn't seem like the Pac-10 is that concerned about that and neither is Colorado who will likely repeat or do even worse this year.

It's all about the $$$ UVA and VT collectively rule the VA market, why not take it completely over? The SEC may pass on UVA but it would be a finical mistake.

I dont think there is any truth to that rumor yet. I was listening to 790 at the time when the story broke about Oklahoma petitioning to join the SEC. Pollack and Bell were stating their own opinion that the SEC should extend an invitation to VT or FSU. A few minutes later, they get a letter or email from one of their interns that TMZ Sports and some other backwood news outlet quoted them as saying that VT was extended an invitation to join the SEC. Bell and Pollack just laughed and joked about it because they didnt say that all.

Are you talking about wins or fans? If you're talking about winning seasons you have a point, if you're talking about the number of fans you're mistaken. Northern Virignia is littered with both fan bases and there's a substantial amount of money spent in that area on football. The problem is you all are willing to dismiss UVA on the number of wins they have had recently. They're a very viable source of income for the SEC which is what's driving these mass conference moves. The PAC-10 isn't so concerned about how many wins Colorado has had, merely how much they can make off the school and vice-versa. Colorado was 3-9 in 2009, it doesn't seem like the Pac-10 is that concerned about that and neither is Colorado who will likely repeat or do even worse this year.

It's all about the $$$ UVA and VT collectively rule the VA market, why not take it completely over? The SEC may pass on UVA but it would be a finical mistake.

I dont get to NOVA as much as I used to but the Hampton Roads area is covered in Hokie flags, t-shirts and stickers just like Richmond and southwest Va.

iI could care or less if UVA gets in as long as we do. Every man for himself right now.

BTW, for those of you who didn't know or forgot, the ACC initially wanted 'cuse instead of VT. It was only after that fell through that UVA really went to bat for VT and made sure they were included in the next ACC bid.

That was if not THE factor at least A factor in VT making it into the ACC...

BTW, for those of you who didn't know or forgot, the ACC initially wanted 'cuse instead of VT. It was only after that fell through that UVA really went to bat for VT and made sure they were included in the next ACC bid.

That was if not THE factor at least A factor in VT making it into the ACC...

Hey, we`ll put a good word in for them with the SEC. As far a loyalty towards the ACC goes, I dont feel any.

i like us just where we are- in a 12 team acc

Were either going to be in a 16 team SEC or a 16 team ACC. Why not try to be the best? We have enough talent in state to make a run if we can keep them home and the Phillip Sims and Percy Harvins in Virginia want to play in the SEC. If you cant beat them ,join them.

i think we will stay in a 12 school acc and think all this 16 team talk is premature. id rather be in the acc anyways. makes sense for many reasons. but before we think about contending with lsu and fla ala, etc, lets first try to figure out paul johnsons triple option and see if we can beat unc.

Were either going to be in a 16 team SEC or a 16 team ACC. Why not try to be the best? We have enough talent in state to make a run if we can keep them home and the Phillip Sims and Percy Harvins in Virginia want to play in the SEC. If you cant beat them ,join them.