Any Sci-Fi/ Comic Book Fans here?

atlantafan

I'm just beginning to get into science fiction and comic books. What all have you read/ watched? I grew up liking the usual- batman, superman, spiderman and loving Star Wars.

Also, anyone ever give you a hard time about being a sports fan and science fiction/comic book fan?

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a current subscription to The Amazing Spider-Man. He's still my favorite. I started reading comics again since the comic-to-movie boom. I've downloaded thousands of older DC and Marvel comic torrents in order to catch up on what I've missed between 1983-2006. There are so many that I'm still reading them. I have a renewed affinity for Batman.

As for sci-fi books, I'm still reading the late Robert Jordan's Eye of the World series. I just got into reading Star Wars novels as of last year.

As for TV shows, anything Star Trek and Star Wars.

Read and watch anything Star Wars, that's when I let my inner geek come out... ;)

Anyone give me a hard time about it? Yeah but never bugged me...

So if you guys were to advise someone who has never read a Star Wars book but has always been a huge fan of the movies where would you suggest he starts in terms of books or other paraphernalia?

So if you guys were to advise someone who has never read a Star Wars book but has always been a huge fan of the movies where would you suggest he starts in terms of books or other paraphernalia?

It depends on what you enjoy reading.. this is the complete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

I personally enjoyed the Thrawn Trilogy. It was really the first set of books that kicked off the current run of novels back 1991.

The Thrawn Trilogy

* Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY)

* Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY)

* The Last Command by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY)

Heir to the Empire

Heir to the Empire is the first book in a trilogy of novels known as The Thrawn Trilogy, all written by Timothy Zahn.

Description

The book is set five years after the events of Return of the Jedi. The Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting twins. Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited new line of Jedi Knights.

Thousands of light years away, Grand Admiral Thrawn, the last of the Emperor's Warlords, has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the New Republic. Thrawn is searching for a Dark Jedi and is succeeding in restoring the Empire.

It depends on what you enjoy reading.. this is the complete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

I personally enjoyed the Thrawn Trilogy. It was really the first set of books that kicked off the current run of novels back 1991.

The Thrawn Trilogy

* Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY)

* Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY)

* The Last Command by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY)

Heir to the Empire

Heir to the Empire is the first book in a trilogy of novels known as The Thrawn Trilogy, all written by Timothy Zahn.

Description

The book is set five years after the events of Return of the Jedi. The Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting twins. Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited new line of Jedi Knights.

Thousands of light years away, Grand Admiral Thrawn, the last of the Emperor's Warlords, has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the New Republic. Thrawn is searching for a Dark Jedi and is succeeding in restoring the Empire.

Great suggestion...

Great suggestion...

So George Lucas owns the Star Wars franchise, correct? Is it possible that he will make more movies off of these books? I should probably know this already but it would be interesting in hearing from someone that knows more than me. I've heard Lucas isn't doing anymore is that correct? Essentially these books aren't ever going to be made into movies then.

So George Lucas owns the Star Wars franchise, correct? Is it possible that he will make more movies off of these books? I should probably know this already but it would be interesting in hearing from someone that knows more than me. I've heard Lucas isn't doing anymore is that correct? Essentially these books aren't ever going to be made into movies then.

According to Lucas, he's not making any more Star Wars movies, but anything's possible. The only thing he's green-lighting now is the current cartoon on Cartoon Network and making the 6 movies into 3D.

He SHOULD make some into movies. The fact is, the story in some of these novels are MUCH better than that of the 6 movies. I think Lucas has a few screws loose personally, I mean, let's look at his Star Wars Movies. The original 3. Then re-released those "digitally enhanced". Then he did EP 1-3. Now he's going to release all 6 in 3D. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm gonna go see them in theater when he does, but 6 movies have been in the theaters 15 times. Make NEW movies. If it's got the Star Wars name on it, and is halfway decent, it'll make 500 million dollars. If protecting the franchise name were the reason, I'd say he screwed the pooch with The Phantom Menace.

According to Lucas, he's not making any more Star Wars movies, but anything's possible. The only thing he's green-lighting now is the current cartoon on Cartoon Network and making the 6 movies into 3D.

Also keep in mind that George is 66 and his kids are still relatively young I could see them milking the franchise in a few years.

He SHOULD make some into movies. The fact is, the story in some of these novels are MUCH better than that of the 6 movies. I think Lucas has a few screws loose personally, I mean, let's look at his Star Wars Movies. The original 3. Then re-released those "digitally enhanced". Then he did EP 1-3. Now he's going to release all 6 in 3D. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm gonna go see them in theater when he does, but 6 movies have been in the theaters 15 times. Make NEW movies. If it's got the Star Wars name on it, and is halfway decent, it'll make 500 million dollars. If protecting the franchise name were the reason, I'd say he screwed the pooch with The Phantom Menace.

The only problem with making live action movies based around the novels is the simple fact that there's no way you're going to get the major actors back. While Harrison Ford has come around on Star Wars I don't see him playing Han Solo ever again. An animated movie off of the novels might work.

I didn't think The Phantom Menace was horrible, going back and watching it again years later it's better than most people think. It's just different from the original trilogy which makes it a jarring movie to watch. Starting out with Anakin as a kid was the biggest mistake.

I've yet to find a Star Wars novel that I didn't like. As aerosmith said, the Thrawn series is good, the X-Wing series is awesome too, I think it's like 12 volumes or something like that.

I've read some stinkers but in general the series has such a watchful eye on it by Lucasfilm that they're never horrible.

The only problem with making live action movies based around the novels is the simple fact that there's no way you're going to get the major actors back. While Harrison Ford has come around on Star Wars I don't see him playing Han Solo ever again. An animated movie off of the novels might work.

I didn't think The Phantom Menace was horrible, going back and watching it again years later it's better than most people think. It's just different from the original trilogy which makes it a jarring movie to watch. Starting out with Anakin as a kid was the biggest mistake.

Fair enough, but the Star Trek franchise has no problem recasting, I don't see a problem with doing the same with Star Wars.

Fair enough, but the Star Trek franchise has no problem recasting, I don't see a problem with doing the same with Star Wars.

They went and rebooted the entire series with an entire new time line of events. That works in Star Trek, that wouldn't really work in Star Wars as the cannon has been established. Time travel has been a part of Star Trek for a long time, it's never been a part of Star Wars.

I used to enjoy The Transformers story before Michael Bay wiped his but with the franchise. Great concept and story potential totally wasted by a complete hack.

He totally changed the entire franchise, I enjoy seeing the characters on the big screen but it's not the same characters we grew up with.

They went and rebooted the entire series with an entire new time line of events. That works in Star Trek, that wouldn't really work in Star Wars as the cannon has been established. Time travel has been a part of Star Trek for a long time, it's never been a part of Star Wars.

They could still do it. In Star Trek.. they've got Captain Kirk played by 2 different actors. Considering Star Wars was what? 1977, 1981, 1983? 30 years is plenty enough time to replace them, imo.

IDW actually did a comic series that tied the old series' with the new movie, thus explaining the new timeline/reboot.

Here's the Wiki...

They could still do it. In Star Trek.. they've got Captain Kirk played by 2 different actors. Considering Star Wars was what? 1977, 1981, 1983? 30 years is plenty enough time to replace them, imo.

I just don't see it happening while George is still alive. Maybe in 20 years when his kids take over.