Top Ten Most Hated/Hateable Beings In NFL History

Despite looking a lot alike on television, the game of college football and professional football have a Great Wall of China of difference between them.

Many coaches have tried to come in from college and be successful in the NFL. Plenty have failed.

You can throw out names like Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Bill Peterson, Steve Spurrier, and Dennis Erickson that have flopped like carps in the NFL.

But, one name stands out in particular when it comes to college coaches who mucked it up in the pros and it is Bobby Petrino.

The sad fact of life is not all the crooks or the con artists have tattoos and ugly faces. A lot of them look just like an average businessman, or a well-dressed lawyer with a suit, tie, and briefcase.

Well, Bobby Petrino proved that they can also be football coaches.

The Atlanta Falcons had decided to give up on Jim L. Mora (No, not the "Playoffs?!" guy, but his son), and they needed a new coach.

Petrino was a guy that people felt would be a coach who could overcome the obstacles of the pro game.

He had been a very innovative offensive mind as Louisville's head coach. He had developed quarterbacks like Brian Brohm and even Jake Plummer when he was an assistant at Arizona State.

He had worked with Tom Coughlin as a NFL offensive coordinator for the Jaguars at one time. Petrino, on paper, had as much potential as you could ask for in a coach. He had won a BCS bowl game at Lousiville. That's an accomplishment.

The Falcons had bad luck from the start. Just going into the season, Michael Vick is caught killing pitbulls from dogfights so immediately Petrino's most valuable weapon on offense is gone.

Petrino had been hired to utilize Michael Vick's total talents, but he was now stuck with Joey Harrington, a Detroit Lion bust.

Petrino did not do well in Atlanta. The Falcons went 3-9 in twelve games, and owner Arthur Blank asked Petrino if he still intended to see things through to the end.

"His answer was he shook my hand and said, 'You have a head coach.' That was six hours prior to the game on Monday." Arthur Blank

After losing to the New Orleans Saints 34-14, Petrino flew the coop. He just up and quit.

As it turns out, he had been making a secret deal with the University of Arkansas to become their new head coach.

He could have waited three weeks and finished the season, but he decided that this players didn't mean anything to him and were irrelevant, so he just ditched them.

The best way to describe it would be to use the words of Yahoo! Sports writer Mike Silver.

"Not only does he bolt for a college job during their season, but he's so gutless; he tells his staff, gives them like a 15 second, 'Well, I'm outta here guys.' then leaves a form letter in players' lockers."

The letter was a insincere apology about how he needed to do what was best for him and his family (forget the fact that the Falcons had treated him as family) and how he wishes them the best down the road.

One player was so angry that he crossed out Petrino's names at the bottom of the paper and wrote in red marker. 'Coward'

This guy betrayed this team. Now they have to continue and finish the season without him, but they have wasted an entire year of their lives with him. Every year counts to a professional player; especially the ones who want rings badly.

That's not the worst of it though. He actually goes to Arkansas and announces that it was easy to become the new head coach there, and he does the "Pig Sooey" chant with the kids on TV where the Falcons saw it all.

That's what really got to them. He doesn't even have the decency to wait. He thought only about himself. Just a gutless, despicable act.

The NFL has no place nor does it deserve people like Petrino. I pray that I never have the unfortunate luck of meeting him face to face because I might just punch him right in the mouth and spit in his eye. Guys like him make me sick.

I will never root for the Razorbacks as long as he is there, and I pray that what goes around comes around for this guy.

He's a perfect person for this top ten list, and he fits at number four.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/402814-the-top-ten-most-hatedhateable-beings-in-nfl-history#page/8

I just knew this would be a Vick, TO, Moss or Hollywood Henderson thread.

Didn't think about Quitrino. Excellent choice. He couldn't wear the jock strap of anyone listed above.

I actually though so too. I did't really realize the hatred that I have for petrino until I see him on the sidelines. My fists involuntarily ball up and I bite my lip so hard that I taste blood. I get this urge to really hurt something. So I have to change the channel. WHEWW!!!!!

Guest Gritz

Everything happens for a reason. I'm thankful Petrino quit when he did, otherwise we could've missed out on Smitty.

Absolutely tiki....No Smitty, probably no Dimitroff.....maybe no Ryan, I could see Pus-trino taking Brohm.

Pus-trino really did us a favor in the long run, even though the way he did it is despicable.

When we make it to the Superbowl that will be one of our big story lines. We all know that this one deplorable act will forever be attached to his name and our great team.

No other team ever had to handle an unprecedented situation like that and we're better for it.

Everything happens for a reason. I'm thankful Petrino quit when he did, otherwise we could've missed out on Smitty.

I can't wait to see that Loser in Athens this fall. I'm probably looking forward to that game as much as any of them.

Thank goodness things did work out some how. But that doesn't change that Petrino is a Jackass.

Guest Gritz

I believed in Bobby right up until he did what he did. Made a fool of me, Mr. Blank, and tens of thousands. But the old saying is; "The universe never shuts one door without opening another." I wouldn't trade who/what we have now for anything.

He didn't make a fool out of anyone other than himself.

You rooted for him because he was the Atlanta Falcons head coach.

So did I. So did thousands of other Falcon fans.

Petrino is the only fool in this whole situation.

Lay the wood to him this fall Coach Richt...... ;)

Very seldon am I ever right. I stink at predicting games or events, but there is 1 time I was 100% right. I hated the Petrino hiring on Day One. Hated it. Hated hated hated it. It was a rotton selection, and I'm glad it didn't last long. He was a loser, is a loser, and will always be a loser.

He didn't make a fool out of anyone other than himself.

You rooted for him because he was the Atlanta Falcons head coach.

So did I. So did thousands of other Falcon fans.

Petrino is the only fool in this whole situation.

Lay the wood to him this fall Coach Richt...... ;)

That's what I've been waiting on for some time. While I'm not the biggest UGA fan, I would love nothing more than to see a complete and total domination from the Bulldogs over Petrino.

You know Quitrino is one of my worst hated but i cant stand pete carrol.... The way that mofo operates just pisses me off to no end. Wanting to run up scores on no name teams. Your teams up like 30 points and you've got the ball 15 seconds left to go and your having the douchbag QB (barkley) Throwing for the endzone. And im nto even a cal fan... Cant stand USC ONE BIT... hope they strip bush of his hiesman and im just so happy that they cant play in post season for two years. sucks for the students and atheletes.

Vicks really got on that list ever sinse his remarks about wanting to play ATL 2 times a year.

Jeff Garcia.

Shockey. douchiest TE to play the game.

I Used to hate Ochocinco but after seeing what he's done lately for charities and the dream he made come true for a homeless kid and his mother was really heart warming.

The entire Hollywood cowboys.

The Saints...And it wasent untill after i saw how many jackass fans that popped up after te superbowl win and forgot about the previous year of goign 8-8

Just about every player or personel to come out of Michigan....

I don't hate "Quitrino" so much as some people do because we wouldn't be in the position we are now. I do and probably will forever have hatred for the Cowboys with the memory of our collapse in the Playoffs in 1980 :angry::angry: .

I was a kid and I still hate Dallas for that...And many other things.I was having dinner with a young lady back in 1999 in Austin TX, and we were sitting on the patio of this restaurant, where we witnessed Troy Aikman go into Oil Can Harry's, a gay bar across the street. I really hate that we did not have camera phones back then.