Peria Jerry News from NFL Chat with Gil Brandt

bighurt

Lanka, Toronto12:14 PM ET

Gil, what do you think of the Falcons defensive line? Do they still need another pass-rusher? And where do you rank Curtis Lofton amongst the young crop of linebackers in the league.

Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Lanka, let's start with Lofton. He is a very good middle linebacker -- there might be two or three better, but he has a chance to be as good as any of them. the Falcons' problem right now is that DT Peria Jerry, last year's top pick who missed the season with an injury, is still limping aruond. If he comes back healthy, that defensive line is pretty good. But there is concern -- as of yesterday he was not where they expected him to be in his rehab.

Notice that there is no mention of Atlanta needing to get a DE, as many thought we needed. Tho I believe we will draft one high in next years draft, you can never have to many good pass rushers. But Gil, seems to agree with the Front Office that the loss of Jerry was a major affect on the D-Line. I do think Jerry will be brought along slow, this is why we drafted Peters as we all know. So day one starters will most like be Beirman, Babs, Anderson, Abraham. If Babs gets 1 or 2 game suspension then we will start Johnson. Some believe Anderson will be cut, I think Trey Lewis may be the odd man out, unless last year was a recovery year and he can get back to pre-injury form.

Edited by bighurt

Thats not really new news.... Reports has been going off the report D-Led had about Peria limping after his rehab workout... Led didnt put in his report that it was after a workout some guys just think he is just limping...

William Moore said this .

It's not likely DT Peria Jerry (knee) will participate in OTAs. But SS William Moore, who was rehabbing with Jerry and the other injured players, said he's coming along. "He's working his tail off," Moore said. "He's back to running, back to lifting. He's on track so I look forward to seeing him back out very soon."

So we wont know until training camp.... I asked someone who is at flowery branch... They said he is not limping when he walks.... It was after the rehab workout that day.

We probably wont have any real info until training camp.

Guest Gritz

Thats not really new news.... Reports has been going off the report D-Led had about Peria limping after his rehab workout... Led didnt put in his report that it was after a workout some guys just think he is just limping...

I think that's exactly what's going on.....People are latching on to that report by Ledbetter...then when it gets regurgitated by someone else at a later date it's viewed as fresh news.

I'm pretty sure that Gil Brandt hasn't been in the Flowery Branch zip code recently.

I think that's exactly what's going on.....People are latching on to that report by Ledbetter...then when it gets regurgitated by someone else at a later date it's viewed as fresh news.

I'm pretty sure that Gil Brandt hasn't been in the Flowery Branch zip code recently.

I agree, but it's still disconcerting. We're going to need everyone as healthy as possible to make a run this year and Peria is going to have to be a big part of that.

Guest Gritz

I agree, but it's still disconcerting. We're going to need everyone as healthy as possible to make a run this year and Peria is going to have to be a big part of that.

All of what you posted is true....I think my (and atljbo's) only points were that this isn't a new development. Most Falcon fans have known for at least a couple of months now that Jerry's rehab wasn't progressing as fast as everyone would have liked.....

Reggie Bush didn't have near as serious of an injury as Jerry and was limping when training camp started last year.

I choose not to worry until good reasons have been presented to do so.

Gil, what do you think of the Falcons defensive line? Do they still need another pass-rusher? And where do you rank Curtis Lofton amongst the young crop of linebackers in the league.

Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Lanka, let's start with Lofton. He is a very good middle linebacker -- there might be two or three better, but he has a chance to be as good as any of them. the Falcons' problem right now is that DT Peria Jerry, last year's top pick who missed the season with an injury, is still limping aruond. If he comes back healthy, that defensive line is pretty good. But there is concern -- as of yesterday he was not where they expected him to be in his rehab.

Notice that there is no mention of Atlanta needing to get a DE, as many thought we needed. Tho I believe we will draft one high in next years draft, you can never have to many good pass rushers. But Gil, seems to agree with the Front Office that the loss of Jerry was a major affect on the D-Line. I do think Jerry will be brought along slow, this is why we drafted Peters as we all know. So day one starters will most like be Beirman, Babs, Anderson, Abraham. If Babs gets 1 or 2 game suspension then we will start Johnson. Some believe Anderson will be cut, I think Trey Lewis may be the odd man out, unless last year was a recovery year and he can get back to pre-injury form.

I would start Peters over Anderson at DT

All of what you posted is true....I think my (and atljbo's) only points were that this isn't a new development. Most Falcon fans have known for at least a couple of months now that Jerry's rehab wasn't progressing as fast as everyone would have liked.....

Reggie Bush didn't have near as serious of an injury as Jerry and was limping when training camp started last year.

I choose not to worry until good reasons have been presented to do so.

Plus as long as Henderson is still available, we have a fallback if needed to get us past the first few games.

Guest Gritz

Plus as long as Henderson is still available, we have a fallback if needed to get us past the first few games.

Excellent point man.

Hopefully we will be very careful with Jerry after what happened to Thomas Davis. Davis tore the same knee twice within a 7 month period

That's rough, he's one of the only guys on the Panthers that I like. Now that the Panthers have Clausen, I think I might hate them more than any team in the league. It's weird, I like John Fox. I just don't like the rest of the team.

Guest Gritz

That's rough, he's one of the only guys on the Panthers that I like. Now that the Panthers have Clausen, I think I might hate them more than any team in the league. It's weird, I like John Fox. I just don't like the rest of the team.

Co-sign.

Fox seems to be a good guy and is a good head coach.

The rest of 'em can drink sewer water.

Thats what I'm thinking also, the closer the season gets, the price Henderson is asking looks better and better. If Jerry isn't ready and Henderson isn't signed, I bet we will pull a Grady Jackson deal to grab him. ;)

I would hate it also for them to put Jerry in and then blow his knee out again. Its not worth blowing his whole career. ;)

Gil Brandt, NFL.com

"As of yesterday he (Jerry) was not where they expected him to be in his rehab" This sounds like new news to me. Wonder how he found this out.

That was the point I was talking about He said as of yesterday, this is updated from DLed's report. This was done Jun 8th, so he was talking about Jun 7th. I am not as concerned about HD return, because of how Fin has return from knee injuries and looked the same. I am a little concerned with Jerry, because he will be in the trenches and it different just having the strength in your new to carry your own body weight and having the strength to drive back another 300 pound man pushing against you. I don't see Peters starting day one right now, I will see during the pre-season. Those who have been to training camp who was lining up at DT on the 1st team defense.

That was the point I was talking about He said as of yesterday, this is updated from DLed's report. This was done Jun 8th, so he was talking about Jun 7th. I am not as concerned about HD return, because of how Fin has return from knee injuries and looked the same. I am a little concerned with Jerry, because he will be in the trenches and it different just having the strength in your new to carry your own body weight and having the strength to drive back another 300 pound man pushing against you. I don't see Peters starting day one right now, I will see during the pre-season. Those who have been to training camp who was lining up at DT on the 1st team defense.

no to be an *** but this is not an update... I'm not saying if Peria will be ready or not... I'm saying everybody is getting the limping thing from D-Leds report.. They cant get any new news because the falcons are not letting any news out....

I mean to Brandt this is what he have heard... It comes from the D-Led report...He was limping after a rehab workout.. He is not limping when he walk as an everyday person.... It was after a rehab workout.

Like i said tho... We wont know any new info until probably training camp... He will either practice or the coaching staff will have to say something.

no to be an *** but this is not an update... I'm not saying if Peria will be ready or not... I'm saying everybody is getting the limping thing from D-Leds report.. They cant get any new news because the falcons are not letting any news out....

I mean to Brandt this is what he have heard... It comes from the D-Led report...He was limping after a rehab workout.. He is not limping when he walk as an everyday person.... It was after a rehab workout.

Like i said tho... We wont know any new info until probably training camp... He will either practice or the coaching staff will have to say something.

I have to agree that his knee may or may not be healed by now and we'll have to wait to TC to see. That being said, when DOL wrote the article about him limping after rehab it gives reason to be a little cautious for the beginning of the year. If he's limping that means his knee is not healed. I've spent many of hours on the Cybex, the slip and slide, and stool races around the gym. It's healed when you quit limping.

this is what I don't understand - the ledbetter article was a week or two ago I thought. Gil is sayin as of the 7th. Guess I'm wrong about the date of the dled article. But I'm sure that the limping thing happened after a work out a couple of weeks ago.

Still - no biggie to me as of right now.

Well, to be honest I am not surprised. I realize that folks can come back from an ACL pretty quick, but not in every case. I blew mine out years ago playing soccer. I will break it down to you.

1. The pain is EXCRUCITATING. You think that someone took a shot gun to your knee.

2. They wait a few days to let the swelling subside, this can take several weeks.

3. The surgury takes place.

4. Post op, SORE BABY SORE.

5. Weeks of keeping your leg up, too afraid to stretch or band it.

6. Rehab. The scariest thing ever is the first day. The pain is unreal. The fear is even worse. You keep thinking will I ever walk normally again, let alone run or tackle a 250lb man running a 4.6 at me.

7. Good days and bad days of working your way back. The knee is as weak as a baby. Light walking. Light stretching. Light, very light weight lifting.

8. After 6 months, things feel normalish. But there is always good and bad days. The knee is still not strong.

9. The first day of jogging was about month 9 for me. Its different for everyone. My insurance doesn't cover pro style rehab! But jogging is weird and painful and at the same time just the greatest thing ever. You feel like you are coming back.

10. The next day, limp central. It hurts. Things are mending, torn, repairing themselves, muscles are tired and the knee feels very very sore.

11. After one year, things feel like normal. But in the back of your mind you feel that you could hurt this again at any time. The mental aspect of this recovery SUCKS. Its like waiting for the worst thing to happen at any minute, all the time.

12. I am on year three, and I think the knee is stronger than before. But even now, I hear that little dark voice telling me that at any moment, it could go again.

So in a nutshell, I am not surprised Peria is limping after working out. Ladies and Gentlemen, that **** hurts. And he is fighting two wars. The mental and the physical. The mental one is the hardest to beat. There is so much doubt and fear. All you want is to feel normal. Not have a knee throb or ache all the **** time.

He'll make it. Be patient.

I AGREE 2

Well, to be honest I am not surprised. I realize that folks can come back from an ACL pretty quick, but not in every case. I blew mine out years ago playing soccer. I will break it down to you.

1. The pain is EXCRUCITATING. You think that someone took a shot gun to your knee.

2. They wait a few days to let the swelling subside, this can take several weeks.

3. The surgury takes place.

4. Post op, SORE BABY SORE.

5. Weeks of keeping your leg up, too afraid to stretch or band it.

6. Rehab. The scariest thing ever is the first day. The pain is unreal. The fear is even worse. You keep thinking will I ever walk normally again, let alone run or tackle a 250lb man running a 4.6 at me.

7. Good days and bad days of working your way back. The knee is as weak as a baby. Light walking. Light stretching. Light, very light weight lifting.

8. After 6 months, things feel normalish. But there is always good and bad days. The knee is still not strong.

9. The first day of jogging was about month 9 for me. Its different for everyone. My insurance doesn't cover pro style rehab! But jogging is weird and painful and at the same time just the greatest thing ever. You feel like you are coming back.

10. The next day, limp central. It hurts. Things are mending, torn, repairing themselves, muscles are tired and the knee feels very very sore.

11. After one year, things feel like normal. But in the back of your mind you feel that you could hurt this again at any time. The mental aspect of this recovery SUCKS. Its like waiting for the worst thing to happen at any minute, all the time.

12. I am on year three, and I think the knee is stronger than before. But even now, I hear that little dark voice telling me that at any moment, it could go again.

So in a nutshell, I am not surprised Peria is limping after working out. Ladies and Gentlemen, that **** hurts. And he is fighting two wars. The mental and the physical. The mental one is the hardest to beat. There is so much doubt and fear. All you want is to feel normal. Not have a knee throb or ache all the **** time.

He'll make it. Be patient.

Sorry you had to go through the injury but ty for your insight. I was wondering while reading can Jerry truly comeback and play at an elite level as a DT with this type of injury and from your experience it sounds like you can make a full recovery. For himself and the fans I hope he can.

+1