Thomas Davis hurt again

nolafan33

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/thomas-davis-experiences-setback-in-recovery/

Six months removed from ACL surgery, Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis was timed running a sub 4.5 forty-yard dash last month. The Panthers just hope he can run again soon.

On the same day Davis signed his one-year, $3.268 million contract tender, the starter "fell while backpedaling and grabbed his knee," according to the Charlotte Observer. (Davis practiced for a month previously after signing an injury waiver.)

According to this thread, the poster has heard from a "reliable source" that he tore his ACL again.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/37673-davis-the-news-heard-here-1st.html

Yeah he is definitely out for the year. Injuries like this are just the kind of thing I was worried about given how many veterans we let go. Still it won't change the defense much. He went down in week seven last year and Anderson played the last 9 games with decent results. Actually at OTAs today, Beason was playing the Will and Sam positions while Connors was playing the MLB. We will see in training camp. But one of the guys we got in the Harris trade with chicago was Jamar Williams. He was the backup there to all-pro Lance Briggs. He started against ST Louis last year for Briggs and notched 13 solo tackles and 6 assists. Sorry to disappoint but they were already prepared if Davis didn't come back as expected. It isn't the back seven but the front four that will determine the Panther's success on defense. Of course a rash of injuries can change everything.

More devastating than it sounds because we were relying on him to make up for some of the production we lost at our defensive line. He can be an All-Pro in this defense, it's the system he was made for, and it's incredibly frustrating to not see him play in it. I feel for the guy, out for two solid years. ****.

More devastating than it sounds because we were relying on him to make up for some of the production we lost at our defensive line. He can be an All-Pro in this defense, it's the system he was made for, and it's incredibly frustrating to not see him play in it. I feel for the guy, out for two solid years. ****.

guy is also gonna be 28 before he can even hit the field again after missing two years. not good for his career

yep , its confirmed

bad bad break for Panthers....

it was gonna be a tall order for their D to stop Saints and Falcons with him....

without him... wow, sux for panthers, i wont say anymore, we had our fair share last yr....

We beat the Falcons with James Anderson starting what was his first game in place of Davis.

I mean it sucks to lose a player who had so much promise and looked poised for a great year, but the Panthers run a Tampa 2 variant (very WLB friendly D) and the LB position is unarguably stacked as it is. The Chris Harris trade that brought Jamar Williams to Carolina doesn't look so bad now.

Edited by Michael K

We beat the Falcons with James Anderson starting what was his first game in place of Davis.

I mean it sucks to lose a player who had so much promise and looked poised for a great year, but the Panthers run a Tampa 2 variant (very WLB friendly D) and the LB position is unarguably stacked as it is. The Chris Harris trade that brought Jamar Williams to Carolina doesn't look so bad now.

J Elam beat the Falcons , not the 2009 Panthers....

33 yd missed FG lmao, his what 12th miss from inside 40 in 09 lmao... how can a kicker fall from Elite to not even a high school level in 1 yr is Beyond me....

back to the subject tho... sugar coat it all you want, Panthers were gonna get ran over by the run before he went down, now they are gonna be steamrolled , by us anyway... you may can hang with pass happy Saints for a 1/2, Falcons will Destroy you guys with Turner and Sneeling str8 up the Gut all day long in both games....

J Elam beat the Falcons , not the 2009 Panthers....

33 yd missed FG lmao, his what 12th miss from inside 40 in 09 lmao... how can a kicker fall from Elite to not even a high school level in 1 yr is Beyond me....

back to the subject tho... sugar coat it all you want, Panthers were gonna get ran over by the run before he went down, now they are gonna be steamrolled , by us anyway... you may can hang with pass happy Saints for a 1/2, Falcons will Destroy you guys with Turner and Sneeling str8 up the Gut all day long in both games....

Actually go back and watch that game-I mean seriously watch it. Pry those homer goggles that are stapled to your face or whatever you did to get them on so tight and have a look. The Falcons' execution that game was horrid, Matt Ryan was all over the place-in front of, behind, into defenders' arms, etc., the playcalling was terrible (I still lol watching the two point conversion attempt), Jake Delhomme lit you up (by his standards), etc. and so on. You guys were given chance after chance to come back and win it, and Elam blowing that kick was just a single topping on the suck sandwich that the Falcons put up that day. For chrissakes Jason Snelling was straight up killing us near the end, but your coaching staff wasn't willing to ride that horse when the game was actually on the line for whatever reason, preferring to let Matt Ryan overthrow Roddy White into double coverage. What you're doing here is no different than me blaming our first loss against Atlanta on like Jonathan Stewart or whoever for fumbling away what would have been an easy shot at points. It's just a fact that he didn't blow our last and best chance to win.

Reader's Digest version: Matt Ryan threw a horrible, pointless pick to lose the game and you're blaming the kicker. Coddle on wild man.

I guess my point is that you guys just aren't as invincible as you think you are. If you compared our rosters at face value going into that game, there wasn't a reason in the world why we shouldn't have lost 40-9 or something regardless of who was in or out. It's too bad that things like actually executing a game plan and good playcalling have to happen first in order to elevate what's printed on paper above the "jack ****" area of worth. The Falcons are almost never as good as their homer fans think they are, and that game is a case study in that.

Edited by Michael K

we have been down this road....

Elam hits the Kick we dont pass, we do what we did all day and SHRED your D up the Gut with the lead....

Panthers are inferior to Falcons

always have been...

the records, scores and winning %s tell the story...

untill you come close to beating us down like we have done to you , i will always feel like Carolina is a for sure win for Falcons, esp @ the Dome....

i wont post the NFL Records we have broken vs Panthers

or the scores where we have completely Destroyed you, or the 8 Falcon qbs who have beat you.

like i say we have been down this road before.....

go talk to Saints and Bucs

that dog wont hunt here

Falcons own Panthers

take out the Mora era and its realllllllllllllllll ugly

like 80% + all time ugly

The bright side to look at it is that it is better to lose him now then during the preseason. However, he rushed himself back and nobody should fool themselves over that.

You now have time to prepare yourselves to not have him for the season. Also, don't fool yourselves (again) by thinking that coaches specifically prepared for Davis to not earn a starting job (and much less injury). That is just asinine. You prepare the best you can and pray the drop-off isn't as much as you fear. (Poster above you). He was light-years better then the rest of your LB depth.

The LB depth for the Panthers was already border-line. Losing (imo) the 2nd highest rated player on your defense (behind Beason) is a massive blow.

Perhaps the biggest decision for the Panthers now is what to do with Davis. He will not settle for a small contract, somebody will take a chance on him when he is a FA. Do the Panthers pay him franchise money and pray he comes back to form? Doubtful that they offer him a lucrative long term contract that some other team undoubtedly will.

The bright side to look at it is that it is better to lose him now then during the preseason. However, he rushed himself back and nobody should fool themselves over that.

You now have time to prepare yourselves to not have him for the season. Also, don't fool yourselves (again) by thinking that coaches specifically prepared for Davis to not earn a starting job (and much less injury). That is just asinine. You prepare the best you can and pray the drop-off isn't as much as you fear. (Poster above you). He was light-years better then the rest of your LB depth.

The LB depth for the Panthers was already border-line. Losing (imo) the 2nd highest rated player on your defense (behind Beason) is a massive blow.

Perhaps the biggest decision for the Panthers now is what to do with Davis. He will not settle for a small contract, somebody will take a chance on him when he is a FA. Do the Panthers pay him franchise money and pray he comes back to form? Doubtful that they offer him a lucrative long term contract that some other team undoubtedly will.

I agree with everything but your statement about the depth at the linebacker position. It's the only position that Carolina fans are really excited about having a lot of guys who can ball at. There are three young linebackers that look good, and two of them can play weakside, and if we want to move Beason around, then Connor can get some playing time. Then there's the option of throwing Norwood in at the weakside position and blitzing with him. There are more than enough people that can pick up the slack now, just nobody that can make up for losing a Pro Bowler.

Also, don't fool yourselves (again) by thinking that coaches specifically prepared for Davis to not earn a starting job (and much less injury). That is just asinine. You prepare the best you can and pray the drop-off isn't as much as you fear. (Poster above you).

Any coach who doesn't prepare to have to replace or at least heavily spell a guy coming off of IR with a ACL injury is the one being asinine. Things don't always go as planned. Of course you do everything you can to get him back and hope for the best, but the whole point of drafting and trading for players is to build depth in the event of injury to your starters. We had to replace him last year and still had a top 10 defense. No one is saying we won't miss him, we will. But to assume that we will drop off dramatically will be wrong. Word is that Beason is moving to weakside linebacker (the most critical backer in Meeks system and Connors will move to Mike). Beason Connor and Anderson will be an upgrade over what we had for most of last year. Doesn't replace Davis but it still gets the best players on the field as well.

THey considered moving beason last year but after both davis and Johnson went down at Will, it was week 10 and they went with what they had. If they keep Beason at Mike they might try Jamar Williams at Will. He backed up Briggs in Chicago but when he got in was quite productive. In two starts last year he had 24 tackles. 43 tackles for a backup isn't too shabby.

We will be alright.

Edited by panther89

The LB position doesn't seem to be a major concern despite the injury but who is filling in at DE?

Brayton will fill in at one DE spot. Johnson and Brown will fill in at the other. At this point how effective they will be is the million dollar question. There a bunch of guys who may fill in on passing downs as situational guys- Hillee Taylor, Greg Hardy,Eric Norwood, Eric Moore. The defensive line will tell the tale this year. Baker will have his job cut out for this year whipping these guys into shape.

It seems like you have many question marks in that area. The reality is the cards would all have to fall into place there as well on your QB and WR spots to be a contender. I am not saying it can't happen, but it is a lot to hope for.

That is what I having been saying for months. When you let 8 starters go you have to count on their 8 replacements who are now starters as well as the 8 guys who are moving into the backup rotation all to perform at a high level. That is 16 guys who have to step up. Could it happen? Sure. But it is likely you will have mixed results giving you holes in the defense. The offense is going to have to step up. where we don't have as many question marks, and take care of cuisness while the defense gets it act together. Last year we were in the same dilemma but the offense under Delhomme was awful. We could be 4-1 at the bye week or 0-5 this year as well.