Navy

I was in the Navy and Im gonna tell you Air force is the way to go they treat you like kings in the air force If you are intent on joining the Navy basic training is easy its all just a mind game just have it in your head its all just a mind game the whole way through and you will make it. Its mostly school but the physical parts can get hectic

I'm just looking for advice on the Navy recruit training. Wanting to know how hard it is. Also what is battlestations? I haven't talk to a recruiter yet. Any advice would be helpful

The Navy is not bad at all, as long as you pick the right job. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let the people at MEPS (the place your recruiter takes you to enlist) tell you that you should just enlist as "non-designated" so that you can figure out what job you want after being in for a little while. That's a lie, you never get to "try out" jobs like they tell you you can.

If you want, PM me and talk about it more, but if you have an idea of the type job you want, then I can tell you the rates (Navy job) to look at when you enlist.

Recruit training isn't all that difficult in the Navy. Air Force is probably the easiest overall, but IMO, the Navy is better. The old saying, join the Navy, see the world, well it was true for me. My brother did 10 years in the Air Force in the same place the entire time. As for Battlestations, from what I hear, it's a long day of doing stuff that you learn the first 6 weeks of recruit training. But it's also a lot of fun as well. When I was in bootcamp, it was called DC Olympics instead of battlestations. A lot of fun.

One suggestion if you go Navy, when you're in recruit training, try to get a staff job. You don't necessarily want RCPO or ARCPO, but Yeoman or Master at Arms are good jobs. As long as you do your job, you get in good with the RDC's (your company's leaders) and bootcamp can be a little easier.

The Navy is not bad at all, as long as you pick the right job. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let the people at MEPS (the place your recruiter takes you to enlist) tell you that you should just enlist as "non-designated" so that you can figure out what job you want after being in for a little while. That's a lie, you never get to "try out" jobs like they tell you you can.

If you want, PM me and talk about it more, but if you have an idea of the type job you want, then I can tell you the rates (Navy job) to look at when you enlist.

Recruit training isn't all that difficult in the Navy. Air Force is probably the easiest overall, but IMO, the Navy is better. The old saying, join the Navy, see the world, well it was true for me. My brother did 10 years in the Air Force in the same place the entire time. As for Battlestations, from what I hear, it's a long day of doing stuff that you learn the first 6 weeks of recruit training. But it's also a lot of fun as well. When I was in bootcamp, it was called DC Olympics instead of battlestations. A lot of fun.

One suggestion if you go Navy, when you're in recruit training, try to get a staff job. You don't necessarily want RCPO or ARCPO, but Yeoman or Master at Arms are good jobs. As long as you do your job, you get in good with the RDC's (your company's leaders) and bootcamp can be a little easier.

I agree with 90% of this :D Formerly AT1 from VQ2

Agreed with everyone in saying the AF is the way to go My father was in for 23 years and my brother and I are currently in the AF. I mean alot of people think basic training is a joke but dont go in with that attitude or you'll get shredded, just come ready to get screamed at, I know at AF BMT we ran ALL the time, I lost 15 pounds there. As others were saying if you go in w/o a guaranteed job you'll probably end up with a crappy *** job. I waited 8 months to become a firefighter and its the best thing I've done In my life so far, I finally have a purpose. In my opinion the AF is the best way to go as long as you dont become a cop or EOD. Also who cares about deploying or if there is anything going on in Iraq or Afghanistan I signed up knowing this, its part of the job.

Agreed with everyone in saying the AF is the way to go My father was in for 23 years and my brother and I are currently in the AF. I mean alot of people think basic training is a joke but dont go in with that attitude or you'll get shredded, just come ready to get screamed at, I know at AF BMT we ran ALL the time, I lost 15 pounds there. As others were saying if you go in w/o a guaranteed job you'll probably end up with a crappy *** job. I waited 8 months to become a firefighter and its the best thing I've done In my life so far, I finally have a purpose. In my opinion the AF is the best way to go as long as you dont become a cop or EOD. Also who cares about deploying or if there is anything going on in Iraq or Afghanistan I signed up knowing this, its part of the job.

Just wondering, what's wrong with choosing to be a cop?

Just wondering, what's wrong with choosing to be a cop?

We'll because they really dont get to be a cop for the most part A1C's (my rank) sit at the gate all day and check ID cards and work 12 hr shifts while I get to drive firetrucks and on occasion fight fire. They get deployed all the time and have to baby sit, I see them on the flightline and they sit in their cars for 2 hrs straight just guarding stuff. I talk to the cops quite often and I have not met a single cop in the AF who liked their job, most of them are miserable and underappreciated.

^^^^This.

I did 11 years in the Navy. Recruit training was easy and I was in the best shape of my life after experiencing it. I don't know if they still do this, but your instructors will pick one day to physically punish you for a couple of hours. They called it a "1-5 Day" when I went through it at the now closed RTC Orlando. ("1-5" means 1st Week, 5th day) You'll have 10 or so instructors screaming at you while they're cycling (exercising) the crap out of you. It was no sweat for me since I was only 18 and used to play a lot of football. It's meant to see how mentally tough you are. But as stated earlier, its all a big mindgame. If you keep a level head and don't take it personal, you'll do fine and have some fun in the process.

As for doing "battlestations" while in bootcamp, that's nothing. When you're on your first ship, that's when you experience a real battlestations, which is nothing more than one big practice drill.

If you want to see the world and learn something you can actually use in the real world, the Navy is it. Pick your job at the MEPS station. DO NOT WAIT. Also, don't let them goad you into going submarines. That's a very stressful experience. Take it from someone who has done it. It's specialized training and you'll have to go through their school right after boot camp. A lot of people go Air Force because their recruit training is really easy. :D

I'd look at the AF first Navy second and the Army a very distant third. I have a different perspective on all of this in that I grew up as a military brat and I've seen first hand what type of lifestyles each lead during your commitment and after. Personally the AF and Navy will treat you a whole lot better. Like others have said if you've finished college there's no way I'd do anything but OCS, outside of those that went to one of the Academies those are the people that get treated the best. My dad was a AFA grad and we were always treated with respect as a family by the AF, the treatment was very similar to the OCS guys.

I did 4 years in the Navy from 94-97.

I don't know what your situation is, but you may want to think pretty hard about it before joining. Once you are in, its a long 4 years. And it basically sucks really bad.

Sure I met some cool people from all over the country and travelled to some great places, but its really not worth it.

If you do join- try and get in as an E3 if you go enlisted and not OCS.

Also I was stationed in San Diego and loved living out there- its pretty much paradise.

I did 4 years in the Navy from 94-97.

I don't know what your situation is, but you may want to think pretty hard about it before joining. Once you are in, its a long 4 years. And it basically sucks really bad.

Sure I met some cool people from all over the country and travelled to some great places, but its really not worth it.

If you do join- try and get in as an E3 if you go enlisted and not OCS.

Also I was stationed in San Diego and loved living out there- its pretty much paradise.

:unsure:

well thanks for all the advice. I have gotten mixed reviews from others that are in the Navy.

Like I have told everyone who has asked me: the Navy is what you make it. If you think it sucks, then it'll suck. If you do your best, then it'll be easy.

Like I have told everyone who has asked me: the Navy is what you make it. If you think it sucks, then it'll suck. If you do your best, then it'll be easy.

Was just about to post the exact statement "it is what you make it". There are bad places & people to work for, and people will say it's the Navy's fault, but in reality, that's the same as the civilian world. Only difference is, in the Navy you can't just quit because you don't like your boss (chief). But you're normally only in a place for 2 or 3 years before you move and chances are you're stuck with the bad boss maybe only a year or so because they're on a different rotation than you are.