Is anyone else going to....

I watched the World Cup 4 yr ago in Ghana, and for those that don't know, guess what Ghana beat the USA. I experienced what the World Cup was all about, just from that win the whole nation went crazy parting drinking and filling the streets, it took me 1 hr to get drove 3 miles from my pastors house to where I was staying and every body was hazing me for the loss and I'm not a soccer fan. It's like this when Atlanta wins the SB imagine all the celebration, and that would be small in comparison to a whole nation erupting in celebration over just a win over a highly ranked team as the USA was 4 yr ago. The World Cup is the Olympics of Soccer where the best plays the best on the biggest theatre.

Me and my friends did a "draft" (put all 32 teams in a hat and each picked 4) and the teams I got were china Greece Mexico and Argentina. Argentina is my only hope to win those 300 bucks. This will keep me entertained for a month. Love soccer but GOD this offseason feels slow. I dnt think I've ever been this anxious for football season to start. Lol

Cant wait for the match vs England!!!! Its going to be epic, so excited for World cup!!!!!!!! Its only every four years people, soak it up!!!!

It's the worlds most popular sport. It's gonna keep growing. USA has too good of a team to not watch them. And the only thing o would like to see change in soccer would be shootouts at the end if it's a tie or 0-0.

[To avoid confusion, and even though it goes against my deeply held beliefs, I am going to use the term 'soccer' here...]

Being English, soccer is my first love, and I'm pleased that people on this board seem fairly positive about it. I think the reason why it has such a global appeal is that it's so easy to play - all you need is a ball, and sometimes even a coke can or a stone will suffice. There are a few things in the game which I really wish didn't exist - mainly the diving/play-acting, and the incessant cheating that happens.

I take slight issue with the post above because a 0-0 match isn't necessarily bad. Because soccer is generally a low scoring game, it makes each goal so important - if your team goes 1-0 up, you go crazy because you know that could be enough to win the game. It makes it so tense, and also makes you appreciate a 4-3 match even more when it comes along! By the same token, imagine losing 2-0 with 5 minutes to go, and then scoring twice to salvage a draw, only to go on and lose on penalties... Even though in American Sports (I think, don't hang me out to dry for this...) ties are pretty uncommon, in soccer it's quite an important concept. Trust me, I support a rubbish team, a draw is often the best we can hope for!

You know I was watching rugby games the other day and was quite hooked. It's like soccer and football mixed together. No pads heavy tackling BRUTAL!

Maybe people know this already, but in England Soccer and Rugby tend to be associated with different classes. Despite the style of the game, Rugby is predominantly seen as a posh boys game. Not sure who said it, but they summed it up as:

"Rugby is a ruffians' game played by gentlemen, Football is a gentlemen's game played by ruffians".

I don't like to think of myself as a ruffian, but I think it's quite nicely put.

Yess Sirr!

this summer has gotten much better to get throu the days, I dont really like baseball so nothing else to watch except the World Cup and Wimbledon.

GO USA!!!

AND ANDY RODDICK =]

Edited by Evo

I know I know it's cus I'm Latino I had to see if any other falcon fan is going to be watching the Cup. Lol

I am a goalkeeper at the Div1 college level and a girls high school coach so I will be very interested in the Cup. The best part for me is the drastically different styles the various nations can play the same sport. It is the only game in the world that is truly competitive on a global level (basketball, football, baseball is largely dominated by a single country). That being said, I would prefer a Lombardi Trophy 1,000-1 over the World Cup.

2010, however, will be a big year with the Lombardi, World Series trophies coming to Atlanta and the World Cup coming to the US.

go USA, Tim Howard all the way!!!!

If only us Salvadorans would learn to drink water and not cramp up. Lol. Idk what happened to Costa Rica this year. They are always the best coming out of Central America. USA is on the rise! Gomez and Altadore FTW!!

CR chokes every year at the end of qualifying. They have it locked up, and then lose to teams like Trinidad down the stretch. If the US can get its defense in line, Buddle, Gomez, and Altidore will hold it down up top

I am half English, so I would like to see my mum's home land do well. But I am ALL AMERICAN BABY, so I would love to see us eek one out over them. I am not much of a soccer fan, so I am not entirely up with the current players (I grew up with Trevor Francis being my Favorite player, along with Gary Lineker and Glenn Hoddle) But I head about this phenom we had, Freddie Adu? What is up with him. I tho0ught he was a shoo in for the team, and yet I never hear his name any more when they talk national team.

I will, especially the games involving the top European teams, plus Argentina.

I'm always in 2 minds about rooting for England. Although I'm Welsh, I consider myself to British foremost and will generally root for all British teams. However, I do get annoyed by the massive arrogance in the English media when it comes to english football. They think that the English have a divine right to easily beat eveyone in the world except Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Holland, Italy, France and Spain. Within 5 minutes of the draw being made, most of them were already saying England would win all 3 group games and then advance to at least the semi finals.

The great thing whenthey dowell, is that the whole atmosphere is the country is uplifted. the wholenation becomes obsessed with it, and the support and media hype they get is unbelieveable - especially if they are playing an opponent that we've had some football and military history with, like the the Germans, Argentinians or French. On the other hand, if they lose I can easily console myself by the fact that it saves having to spend the next 40+ years hearing about them winning it (as they still haven't stopped talking about 1966 yet)...