Digital camera advice.

tikibar

We need a new digital camera. We've loved our 7.1MP Olympus, but it's been dropped on its head one too many times.

One of our friends was trying to sell us on a Flip since we take movies of our kids (4, 6 year olds) when they do sports/birthdays/etc. If you've recently purchased a camera, please give me your advice. I'm not really partial to any particular brand...just want a point/click camera that has a rechargeable battery/charger included with it that's around a hundred bucks or so.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tikibar

My Flip can also take stills, but as with pretty much any video recorder capable of taking stills they're trashy. You're better off with a plain camera. I'm guessing HD cameras are out of the realm of possibility at $100. One of the Canon PowerShot models (A480 maybe) would be alright.

Edited by Porkins

all depends on how much money you want to spend. i'm personally a fan of digital SLR's and at your kids age, you'd get a great camera for sports, outdoors, and just general photography. you can change out lenses, filters, settings and the results can be hands down better than a point and shoot. it can be pricey, but i think it's well worth it. check out the photography thread that's pinned.....there are several posters in there that can give you some great advice also.

flip is pure video, so you cant take pics on it. the kodak zi8 is cheaper than the flip and does both, but i think if you are just shooting in 720p, then id go with a camera that can do basic 720p over a camcorder that can take pictures.

Cool device. It seems like the only knock on the zi8 is the clarity of the still pictures. I'm going to check it out though. Thx for the heads up.

My Flip can also take stills, but as with pretty much any video recorder capable of taking stills they're trashy. You're better off with a plain camera. I'm guessing HD cameras are out of the realm of possibility at $100. One of the Canon PowerShot models (A480 maybe) would be alright.

personally i am a fan of canons. for both point and shoot or DSLR, but nikon is a good brand for both also.

all depends on how much money you want to spend. i'm personally a fan of digital SLR's and at your kids age, you'd get a great camera for sports, outdoors, and just general photography. you can change out lenses, filters, settings and the results can be hands down better than a point and shoot. it can be pricey, but i think it's well worth it. check out the photography thread that's pinned.....there are several posters in there that can give you some great advice also.

if he gots the pocket, then of course a DSLR would be best, but those are pricey.

If you have the money, as mookie mentioned, listen to the man. His proof is in his pics.

Me I can live with a $200<<< camera because I just use mine as a side hobby to my other art and I just like taking random pics. Just bought a 12 MP Canon pwershot and thus far my needs have not exceeded it. But if I ever get serious, I will get me an SLR as well.

We need a new digital camera. We've loved our 7.1MP Olympus, but it's been dropped on its head one too many times.

One of our friends was trying to sell us on a Flip since we take movies of our kids (4, 6 year olds) when they do sports/birthdays/etc. If you've recently purchased a camera, please give me your advice. I'm not really partial to any particular brand...just want a point/click camera that has a rechargeable battery/charger included with it that's around a hundred bucks or so.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a camera in January and I love it, Canon Powershot A1100 IS. 12.1 Megapixel. It was funny I was just looking at the thing at Frys and decided to buy it because of the price, it was about 120$ and the guy was likes what the deal with this camera and I was like why? Because we been selling the cr-ap out of them. I got home and did a search and it was in the top 5 of its class at the "time". Its getting 4 out of 5 stars now. Go to Frys they have a great selection. ;) The auto-leveling feature is cool.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=18138

Edited by nativefalcon

I bought a camera in January and I love it, Canon Powershot A1100 IS. 12.1 Megapixel. It was funny I was just looking at the thing at Frys and decided to buy it because of the price, it was about 120$ and the guy was likes what the deal with this camera and I was like why? Because we been selling the cr-ap out of them. I got home and did a search and it was in the top 5 of its class at the "time". Its getting 4 out of 5 stars now. Go to Frys they have a great selection. ;) The auto-leveling feature is cool.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=18138

Same camera I bought at K Mart on sale for $129. :P I am quite pleased with mine also. I had been looking for a fairly cheap one but was not planning on buying one that day, but at the price I just grabbed it. I liked that it ran on regular AA batteries, too, because I will never have trouble finding replacement batteries for it. I have taken quite a few pics and some vid with mine and they are still going strong.

If you have the money, as mookie mentioned, listen to the man. His proof is in his pics.

Me I can live with a $200<<< camera because I just use mine as a side hobby to my other art and I just like taking random pics. Just bought a 12 MP Canon pwershot and thus far my needs have not exceeded it. But if I ever get serious, I will get me an SLR as well.

and i added some new shots to the photo thread and on FAA.....i'll have to check your FAA page out again.....just got back in town early this morning from east TN and west NC. ^_^

and i added some new shots to the photo thread and on FAA.....i'll have to check your FAA page out again.....just got back in town early this morning from east TN and west NC. ^_^

it;s still there but I haven't added anything in a while and until I replace every pic there with better focus higher pixel copies, I dropped the sellers account. I was getting too many emails from them saying the pics I submitted were not high quality enough to make larger size prints with. but I did sell a few postcards/notecards etc where they are small to start with.

So once I get the hang of this camera, I am going to reshoot the ones I still have and redo my site.

According to what Clark Howard was saying on the radio the other day, unless you are a professional photographer anything over 6 MP you are just wasting your money. I tend to agree with him since my old Canon AS610 6MP camera took MUCH better pictures than my 12MP Kodak.

According to what Clark Howard was saying on the radio the other day, unless you are a professional photographer anything over 6 MP you are just wasting your money. I tend to agree with him since my old Canon AS610 6MP camera took MUCH better pictures than my 12MP Kodak.

not unless you want good pictures.

I surely am not a pro photographer, but I needed more MP's when taking pics of my artwork so the prints I make would themselves be more professional grade.

I agree with him. And even for a pro photographer, the art is more in his eye than it is in the mega-pixels.

I still have the first digital I owned, a little 2 MP HP photosmart that I took these with.

2192207087_608835d21d.jpg

2184925433_7a04915777.jpg

2236951825_60ca7ace61.jpg

Even with that low quality, I can still make stuff like notecards and such.

• 4 weeks later...

for all that have given advice about point/shoot cameras....that's the way we're getting ready to go. we're looking at the olympus t-100 ($80), kodak m530 ($94), or canon powershots a3100 or sd1200is (both canons around $150). i've read that some of these cameras feel cheap in hand, but that's the budget we're under.

anyone got any thoughts on these cameras? we likely going to pick one up this week. thx to all those contributing-cheers. ;)

for all that have given advice about point/shoot cameras....that's the way we're getting ready to go. we're looking at the olympus t-100 ($80), kodak m530 ($94), or canon powershots a3100 or sd1200is (both canons around $150). i've read that some of these cameras feel cheap in hand, but that's the budget we're under.

anyone got any thoughts on these cameras? we likely going to pick one up this week. thx to all those contributing-cheers. ;)

I don't own any of those models, But I do like the Canon Powershot A1100IS I own.

As far as feeling cheap, I think that applies to almost everything nowadays so I don't really worry about it. I just keep it in a nice case to keep it from damage.

I don't own any of those models, But I do like the Canon Powershot A1100IS I own.

As far as feeling cheap, I think that applies to almost everything nowadays so I don't really worry about it. I just keep it in a nice case to keep it from damage.

True. Kinda hoping for a response like yours-yeah feels cheap, but lasts if you take care of it...close to true? Was wondering if the M530 Kodak or even T-100 Olympus would be worth a gamble b/c of the price points.

Thanks for your 2 cents. If no one has nice things to say about the Kodak/Olympus, it looks like we're going to up the $ and go w/ a Powershot.

True. Kinda hoping for a response like yours-yeah feels cheap, but lasts if you take care of it...close to true? Was wondering if the M530 Kodak or even T-100 Olympus would be worth a gamble b/c of the price points.

Thanks for your 2 cents. If no one has nice things to say about the Kodak/Olympus, it looks like we're going to up the $ and go w/ a Powershot.

Pretty much, But I was speaking in general and not about the Canon I bought. It actually feels pretty nice and the shell feels like metal. But what I meant was that today you almost expect things to feel cheap whether they are or not. When I finally bought a new flat panel TV I was amazed at how cheap it felt next to lod heavier stuff. But it has been nothing but wonderful.

Kodak and Olympus makes some great stuff, but I personally have never owned one so I can't speak with any authority.

Like that has ever stopped me on any other subject. :P

Good luck!

I would like to preface this post by saying yes, Flips are cool.

I think for most of us the reason that the high dollar cameras do not work as well as the basic cameras is because we do not take the time to educate ourselves on the cameras. They are usually much more complex and not as user friendly. I have a Sony Cybershot 5+MP that I use. I get lucky and take some really good pictures with it sometimes and some really crappy ones at other times. I have just never taken the time to figure out the features.

I would like to preface this post by saying yes, Flips are cool.

I think for most of us the reason that the high dollar cameras do not work as well as the basic cameras is because we do not take the time to educate ourselves on the cameras. They are usually much more complex and not as user friendly. I have a Sony Cybershot 5+MP that I use. I get lucky and take some really good pictures with it sometimes and some really crappy ones at other times. I have just never taken the time to figure out the features.

That's the reason I am hesitant to move up to an DSLR. I KNOW I'm not gonna take the time to learn it. I have had PhotoShop for quite a few years, bought several books that were 40 bucks a piece, haven't spent a second learning anything about it. couldn't even tell you where the books are now.