WR Battle...underestimating Weems?

ATLbound

I went back and watched the games using the NFL Rewind and Weems was our best special teams player. I know everybody is thinking kick/punt return, but I'am actually discussing the defensive side of it.

There were 3 players who consistently got down the field and made great tackles before the 20 yard line on kickoffs. Bierman, Nicholas, and Weems... If you're able to go back and watch the games, then you would see #14 constantly getting in the mix of tackles. Out of these 3 players Weems was also the most active on Punt return defense.

Now if you look at the 3 players, 1 is sure to be a starter (Bierman), 1 was a starter last year and his role may be the same (Nicholas), and then you have Weems. The first 2 guys role expansion could mean we would need to depend on Weems more as our special team ace.

While many, including myself, figured Weems may be the odd man out, I have changed my mind and I figure Weems to have strong upper hand.

I know keeping 6 Wr's may be a little too much, but we have some fierce competition and I think our coaches will have a hard time deciding. Let's take a look at the Wr's on the bubble and what they bring to the table.

Roddy, Jenkins, and HD are locks

So we have 2-3 spots left for....

1.) Finneran: Savvy veteran, knows what he is doing, can teach the young guys the ropes, our best 3rd down Wr, fan favorite, hard worker, all of us would love for him to retire a ATL Falcon

2.) Weems: Our best special teams player last year (all-around), caught 100% of the passes thrown his way last year, role has been expanded each year he's been with us, had more TD's than Jenkins last year, excels in both kick and punt returns (very rare)

3.) Meier: ex-QB (very important), although it was college caught A LOT of passes the past 2 years, could end up being our best route runner, drafted in the 5th round (would be a waste of pick if he didn't make it), probably won't last on Practice Squad

4.) Wolfe: could survive the Practice Squad, was loved coming in, haven't heard much about him since we signed him...that's all (Lol)

5.) Harvey: So far has been the OTA talk, received comments from Roddy, from what I've gathered seems to be the a willing blocker, could survive the Practice Squad

I honestly think we will keep 6 Wr's. Out of the 5 Wr's left, I really don't see Finneran and Meier not making it. I can see Weems getting released, but based on his progression I think it would be a very hard decision for the FO. I think Harvey will have the upside and hype like Bergeron, but will end up on the PS in the end. I really haven't heard anything from Wolfe since we signed him. If he doesn't step it up, I think he might be out.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Snelling lead the team in ST tackles? Just sayin.

I'm sorry that I forgot one player...my bad. So what do you think about the topic? -_-

I love it how people pick out one thing in the topic to dispute and think the rest is garbage.

Also where do you get the stats for ST tackles? I would like to know for future references.

Edited by ATLbound

HD is no lock, depending on well he healed.

You really think that we would release or put on PS our 3rd round pick from 2 years ago that has not disappointed on the field at all? It would be extremely difficult to find people to agree with you on this. I would venture to say that you would find more people that thinks Jenkins isn't a lock than you would HD.

You really think that we would release or put on PS our 3rd round pick from 2 years ago that has not disappointed on the field at all? It would be extremely difficult to find people to agree with you on this. I would venture to say that you would find more people that thinks Jenkins isn't a lock than you would HD.

I never said release.

I don't think he has a lock on the #3 until he appears healed. He shredded that knee. And like Peters at DT we took an insurance WR in Meier. I hope he is fine and can play as hard as he did two years ago.

I never said release.

I don't think he has a lock on the #3 until he appears healed. He shredded that knee. And like Peters at DT we took an insurance WR in Meier. I hope he is fine and can play as hard as he did two years ago.

I was merely discussing who is making the team. This is about the Wr battle, not really who is in which spot. I was saying Roddy, Jenkins, and HD are a lock to make the team. and along with them I think Meier, Finneran, and Weems will make the team as well.

How about I put "in no particular order"....Hopefully that helps. ;)

Only time will tell but Weems is making a strong case for staying.

In regards to HD, no way he gets cut. Never heard this one... got if from Wiki.

"A Harry Douglas is also a drink containing two parts Maker's Mark and one part Ginger Ale allegedly created by Jon Weitzel at the Pearl Bar in Houston, Texas. The drink was named after the football player, Harry Douglas, after his debut punt-return touchdown"

HD is indeed a "lock". He may not be the guy

we remember at first but he will come around.

The new guys are looking to beat out Finneran

and Weems. The have a good chance of doing so

but training camp is where that will happen.

Meier looks the part and the others are going

to have a lot to prove to get in consideration.

This is going to be a difficult decision because we have a lot of talented depth at many positions. While I would like to see 6 receivers make the roster you have to think about how many CB's, DE, DT's, etc. we will keep. You could make a case for keeping an extra player at many of the other positions.

My take on Weems is that he is a great special teams player on the defensive side and he is a solid, but not great punt and kickoff returner. He also brings a lot of heart and hustle to the team, which is very important.

Last year we really needed a slot receiver to make some plays and most fans kept hoping Weems would step up because he seemed perfect for the role. Weems played well when he played receiver, but he barely played, which made me wonder why the coaches didn't have more confidence in him. It seemed we would slide him in there every once in awhile and he would make a good play mostly because teams didn't pay him any attention.

I think Weems will be a better returner now since he has some experience and maybe this is the year he steps up and is a much improved receiver.

It's really hard to predict what will happen with the receivers at this point, but I feel Weems will end up making the team. Not sure about Finneran, but it will be very difficult to cut him as well. I think Meier makes the final 53 and Harvey and Wolfe will make the practice squad. I kept hoping Bergeron would step up and do something last year, but the coaches never gave him a chance even though we needed some receiving help so he might not make the practice squad this year.

Only time will tell but Weems is making a strong case for staying.

In regards to HD, no way he gets cut. Never heard this one... got if from Wiki.

"A Harry Douglas is also a drink containing two parts Maker's Mark and one part Ginger Ale allegedly created by Jon Weitzel at the Pearl Bar in Houston, Texas. The drink was named after the football player, Harry Douglas, after his debut punt-return touchdown"

:lol:

Awesome. If i drank the hard stuff i would give it a try, but its strictly brewskies for me nowadays.

As far as the WR's:

If Finneran is healthy enough to play and takes a roster spot, it's gonna be hard for any of the rookies

to make the team. I think Weems stays. That leaves (arguably) Meier and Harvey battling for one possible spot.

Edited by HouseofEuphoria

This is going to be a difficult decision because we have a lot of talented depth at many positions. While I would like to see 6 receivers make the roster you have to think about how many CB's, DE, DT's, etc. we will keep. You could make a case for keeping an extra player at many of the other positions.

My take on Weems is that he is a great special teams player on the defensive side and he is a solid, but not great punt and kickoff returner. He also brings a lot of heart and hustle to the team, which is very important.

Last year we really needed a slot receiver to make some plays and most fans kept hoping Weems would step up because he seemed perfect for the role. Weems played well when he played receiver, but he barely played, which made me wonder why the coaches didn't have more confidence in him. It seemed we would slide him in there every once in awhile and he would make a good play mostly because teams didn't pay him any attention.

I think Weems will be a better returner now since he has some experience and maybe this is the year he steps up and is a much improved receiver.

It's really hard to predict what will happen with the receivers at this point, but I feel Weems will end up making the team. Not sure about Finneran, but it will be very difficult to cut him as well. I think Meier makes the final 53 and Harvey and Wolfe will make the practice squad. I kept hoping Bergeron would step up and do something last year, but the coaches never gave him a chance even though we needed some receiving help so he might not make the practice squad this year.

I agree that it may be a long shot for us to keep 6 Wr's. I think we will kepp 6 Wr's because the special teams help there may be greater.

Weems was not great at returning but he was defnitely above average. In many games he got us to the 50 yd, 40, etc. He could just never get it all the way. Anytime your returner can consistently get you past the 30 yd line, then he's good for your team. That gives great field position for our offense and our defense in case we punt.

Also he probably didn't play Wr a lot because he was really our only option to return kicks and punts consistently with HD and Norwood hurt. If he were to get hurt, then we would not have any viable option at that position.

:lol:

Awesome. If i drank the hard stuff i would give it a try, but its strictly brewskies for me nowadays.

As far as the WR's:

If Finneran is healthy enough to play and takes a roster spot, it's gonna be hard for any of the rookies

to make the team. I think Weems stays. That leaves (arguably) Meier and Harvey battling for one spot.

That is awesome!

I agree with the Wr's, but that's only if we keep 6 Wr's. I think based on our situation it is a no brainer that we will keep 6 Wr's. I don't see it any other way.

I can't see us making the very difficult decision to cut Finneran. Even if he's not healthy, the only thing I see is him retiring.

I can't see us cutting Meier or even placing him on PS. From all that I've heard before he got hurt, the catching was on point, but PS could be a possibility

Out of these I could see Weems getting cut the most, but I think tht's a longshot as long as he continues to progress.

I really think that if one of the rookies or UDFA makes a mark in camp then Finn is gone, especially Meier. I also think that Harvey will either make the team expand to keep 6 WRs or will be on the Practice Squad along with another WR. I do however think that Weems can be upgraded as a KR/PR, but he will have to be beat out of the spot. I am hoping that Weems improves on his vision and ability to find the cut back lanes that our blocking units open up for the Return especially on kickoffs.

JRid bought up a good point about the lack of playing time Weems received despite the fact that we really needed help at WR with the loss the HD and Finn

Please tell me why Finneran deserves a roster spot?

<_<

He's one of the best possession receivers in the NFL?

It has been mentioned before though, that if he did retire they would want to "keep him with the team

in some capacity"....whatever that means. Personally, i hope he is 100% healthy and dying to get back

out on the field. He is as reliable on third down as anyone in the game.

JRid bought up a good point about the lack of playing time Weems received despite the fact that we really needed help at WR with the loss the HD and Finn

To this point, he was our only viable option on special teams to return punts and kicks. Norwood and HD was hurt. I was trying to think of who else we could use, but I can't think of anybody. Maybe ya'll can think of someone.

Remember we did the same thing with Norwood. He was our best option as a returner so we used him there more and less on offensive snaps.

Also Weems would be our 5th or 6th Wr. He could at best be our 4th. Since we aren't the Saints, we would really want our 5th or 6th Wr to be a better ST player than a Wr imo.

He will rarely see the field on offensive snaps. I would venture to say that Bergeron was probably a better Wr than Weems, but bc of Weems ST ability he was kept.

Edited by ATLbound

Please tell me why Finneran deserves a roster spot?

Look at the points I made in the initial post. Two main things stick out to me about Finneran.

1. He is our best 3rd down Wr

2. He is a fan favorite.

You rarely want to get rid of a fan favorite, especially one that is still a decent option.

To this point, he was our only viable option on special teams to return punts and kicks. Norwood and HD was hurt. I was trying to think of who else we could use, but I can't think of anybody. Maybe ya'll can think of someone.

Remember we did the same thing with Norwood. He was our best option as a returner so we used him there more and less on offensive snaps.

I dont remember us doing the same thing with Norwood, Norwood got an appropriate amount of snaps as a change of pace back, and we limited Norwood because of his injuries. Weems hasnt had an injury history like Norwood. I dont think that Weems recieved less snaps because he was a KR/PR, especially when we needed help at WR with the injuries to HD and Finn and the lack of production from Booker.

I dont remember us doing the same thing with Norwood, Norwood got an appropriate amount of snaps as a change of pace back, and we limited Norwood because of his injuries. Weems hasnt had an injury history like Norwood. I dont think that Weems recieved less snaps because he was a KR/PR, especially when we needed help at WR with the injuries to HD and Finn and the lack of production from Booker.

I wasn't talking about last year with Norwood. Also in the RB position there are less options available. You have 2-3 RB's while we have 5-6 Wr's.

Of course at that point he would get more snaps then Weems would. Also Norwood has proven before he was a good option at RB as change of pace. So the confidence we had in him would be more than we would have in Weems.

Also who would we put at KR/PR if Weems DID get hurt? All coaches think less offensive snaps = less chances to get hurt. There might have been a viable replacement for Weems, but I can think of who it would be.

Look at the points I made in the initial post. Two main things stick out to me about Finneran.

1. He is our best 3rd down Wr

2. He is a fan favorite.

You rarely want to get rid of a fan favorite, especially one that is still a decent option.

Finneran had 11 receptions for 111 yards last year and 0 touchdowns. If he is our best 3rd down receiver then we definitely need an upgrade.

I wasn't talking about last year with Norwood. Also in the RB position there are less options available. You have 2-3 RB's while we have 5-6 Wr's.

Of course at that point he would get more snaps then Weems would. Also Norwood has proven before he was a good option at RB as change of pace. So the confidence we had in him would be more than we would have in Weems.

Also who would we put at KR/PR if Weems DID get hurt? All coaches think less offensive snaps = less chances to get hurt. There might have been a viable replacement for Weems, but I can think of who it would be.

I cant get with your theory about Weems, my opinion is that Weems is ok, but he can be upgraded as a KR/PR and as a WR but I love his heart

Finneran had 11 receptions for 111 yards last year and 0 touchdowns. If he is our best 3rd down receiver then we definitely need an upgrade.

Well I guess you have to factor in how many times we passed on 3rd down.

Also how many times he played

Also he was our 4th Wr last year

Also he doesn't get passed to every time he plays as well

For our 4th Wr I would say that's a decent amount

Booker was our 3rd Wr, he's gone so HD takes back his spot (hopefully w/ health)

What have the other 4th Wr's in the league done?

I really think that if one of the rookies or UDFA makes a mark in camp then Finn is gone, especially Meier. I also think that Harvey will either make the team expand to keep 6 WRs or will be on the Practice Squad along with another WR. I do however think that Weems can be upgraded as a KR/PR, but he will have to be beat out of the spot. I am hoping that Weems improves on his vision and ability to find the cut back lanes that our blocking units open up for the Return especially on kickoffs.

I feel like Weems will improve this season as a returner because he got a lot of experience last year and he has had this offseason to watch film and study the art of being a good returner as well as working on his vision and cutbacks.

I remember an interview last year with Coach Smith or Weems and one of them said they have been telling Weems to just catch the ball and run straight as hard as you can. I can't remember exactly who or what they said, but it made me think that they are just wanting him to somewhat play it safe since he is new to being a returner. I think he will expand on that this year and be much better.

Having said this I'm not saying Weems will definitely be our returner this year, but he will be improved and have a better shot at winning the job.

I cant get with your theory about Weems, my opinion is that Weems is ok, but he can be upgraded as a KR/PR and as a WR but I love his heart

That's cool. It's fine to agree to disagree.

Other than his returning, I thought he was our 2nd or 3rd best tackler on ST. This isn't coming from the stats, this is from me re-watching the games.

He contributed in more than one way on the field. He even got 2 TD's in his limited offensive snaps.

I agree he can be upgraded, but for a 1st-timer it was above average. He could be better this year given the experience. I distinctly remember him, Bierman, and Nicholas constantly being the tackler or near the tackler on ST.

This was the main reason we kept Wire and I think it will be the main reason we keep Weems.

Edited by ATLbound