College Football Expansions

etherdome

There is a lot of talk about the Big Ten expansion that is likely to take place this year. The ripple effects will spread across the nation. The PAC Ten will make moves towards the state of Texas and Colorado. It is difficult to gauge the SEC, at this time. I think they feel pretty good about their situation and may not make much of a move.

I would like to see Georgia Tech move to the Big Ten. I realize that travel will be an issue, but the distances can be overcome without great difficulty. I think the Ben Ten is the ideal situation for GT for the following reasons:

1. The BT has a strong academic reputation that is a good fit for GT

2. The real money is from Federal grants that will flow. The BT has major pipelines to Federal research money. Affiliation with the Ben Ten will make qualifying for grants a lot easier and smoother.

3. The Big Ten has a long and storied history in sports. GT has an equally long history that has been dormant for too long. I see this move as a reawakening of the old football tradition.

4. TV drives the economic wheels of sports these days. The Atlanta market is top ten. The BT should want to get a piece of the action. As stated by Delaney, the Big Ten wants to expand into the South because that is where the population is shifting.

5. The AAU. Do not underestimate the importance of membership. GT has managed to scratch its way up the academic ranks without the help of the AAU. I predict an academic explosion occurring at the Flats. Georgia Tech will be flooded with new financial resources. The AAU links its members to millions and billions of federal money. The research network of the AAU is the strongest in the world. By linking academic affiliations with the camaraderie of sporting competition, the schools will form new and beneficial bonds.

6. The eventual toppling of dominoes will probably weaken the ACC. It would be better to act proactively. I think that the folks on North Avenue would be wise to speak with the Big Ten's shakers and movers.

These guys think two decades in advance. It is easy to foresee a strong symbiotic relationship developing between GT and the rest of the Big Ten. GT can provide a foothold into southern markets while the Big Ten can help GT develop a more traditional and loyal fan base. The ACC's fan base is not in the same league as the Big Ten. Hence, GT has a some what indifferent approach to its rivals in the ACC. Additionlly, GT, and its alumni, do not feel comfortable in SEC country. The SEC is a great conference, but its personality is different from GT's. There is a reason GT left the SEC years ago. In relationship parlance, Georgia Tech and the SEC grew apart.

The Big 10 is not interested in GT

Agree with the OP that going to the Big 10 would be a good move for GT (not necessarily as much for the Big 10, but I can see some of the advantages of such a move).

Also agree with muskokas that the Big 10 has no interest in GT.

If I were GT I would probably put out feelers to see if there were any way to drum up interest. If, as many people think, we're going to 16 team super-conferences, I see the ACC & Big 12 disintegrating and the Pac-10, Big 10, and SEC becoming the 3 major conferences. GT really has no strong affiliation with any other ACC school and could move independently to the Big 10.

The Big 10 is not interested in GT

Perhaps, but there are some long range reasons that could be good for the Big Ten to court GT. I stated them above.

The Big Ten doesn't make decisions for the now. It is headed by some smart people who are forward thinking. Adding a small school, like GT could pay off big in several years. With proper management, GT's fan base can grow significantly. With Falcon tickets likely to climb out of reach of most fans, GT will have the opportunity to build a very loyal following.

The South continues to outpace the MidWest in population growth. The Big Ten sees this and wants to have a presence in the Sun Belt. I don't think that Texas will join the BT because Texas politicians insist on bundling TT and Baylor with UT. In all likeliness, the Texas teams will join the PAC 10. ND is riding on its own, so the Big Ten will probably look to add Mizzu and some Eastern teams. Among them, GT is a pretty good candidate. A division that includes schools like Maryland, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Rutgers could happen. Of those schools, only FSU is not a member of the AAU. However, efforts have been underway for three years to change that.

Perhaps, but there are some long range reasons that could be good for the Big Ten to court GT. I stated them above.

The Big Ten doesn't make decisions for the now. It is headed by some smart people who are forward thinking. Adding a small school, like GT could pay off big in several years. With proper management, GT's fan base can grow significantly. With Falcon tickets likely to climb out of reach of most fans, GT will have the opportunity to build a very loyal following.

The South continues to outpace the MidWest in population growth. The Big Ten sees this and wants to have a presence in the Sun Belt. I don't think that Texas will join the BT because Texas politicians insist on bundling TT and Baylor with UT. In all likeliness, the Texas teams will join the PAC 10. ND is riding on its own, so the Big Ten will probably look to add Mizzu and some Eastern teams. Among them, GT is a pretty good candidate. A division that includes schools like Maryland, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Rutgers could happen. Of those schools, only FSU is not a member of the AAU. However, efforts have been underway for three years to change that.

Geography isn't the only reason for the lack of interest, but academics as well.