Falcons Top 10 "Prospects"

Scout.com's Chris Steuber has started a series that has been spanning for quite some time of each team's top 10 prospects with a nice write up included for each prospect. He puts out a new one between every 1 and 3 days. In order for somebody to be eligible they must be under 25 years old or have under 3 years of NFL experience (2008 draft class). He hasn't gotten to the Falcons yet and I'm not sure when he will but I want to know who everybody's top 15 for the Falcons is. I want to make it a little bit more interesting than top 10. I'm not counting Grimes as eligible since he played in 2 games, 2 years ago. If they were on the practice squad 3 years ago and never played, then I will consider them eligible.

Here's one of his columns for the Colts http://profootball.scout.com/2/975037.html

Here's the archive of his columns http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22Chris%20Steuber%22&sssiteid=127&type=2

My Top 10 (Number 10 gets tricky)

1. Matt Ryan (Duh)

2. Thomas DeCoud (Playmaking S rarer than LB IMO)

3. Curtis Lofton (Stud but needs work in pass coverage)

4. Sean Weatherspoon (Top potential with more natural talent than Kroy)

5. Kroy Biermann (Hard worker, ready to break out)

6. Sam Baker (Nagging injuries are troublesome but LT is a must)

7. Harry Douglas (If he played last year, he would be #4 or #5 here)

8. Peria Jerry (ACL dropped him, obviously)

9. Christopher Owens (Showed well on the field last year, and his potential is a #2 at worst)

10. William Moore (Needs to prove health but if he does, he could shoot up a few spots)

If I expanded to 15

11. Lawrence Sidbury Jr. (Talent is there, but I would like to see it translated)

12. Mike Johnson (Most reports say he's NFL ready but needs to add strength)

13. Corey Peters (Good kid. Johnson a little more NFL ready (even though he was a stud in the SEC) so I ranked MJ higher)

14. Dominique Franks (5th round pick with 3rd-4th round talent)

15. Garrett Reynolds (Give him the edge over Hawley with a year of exp and solid play at guard)

Honorable mention- Eric Weems, Joe Hawley, Chevis Jackson, Vance Walker, Kerry Meier, Spencer Adkins, Shann Schillinger, Robert James.

Digging Deep- Jamaal Anderson, Jose Valdez, John Parker Wilson, Rob Bruggeman, Troy Bergeron, Antone Smith, Blake Schlueter.

UDFA Hopefuls- Garrett Lindholm, Brandyn Harvey, Colin Peek, Ryan Wolfe, Rafael Bush, Michael Palmer, Eric Ward, Bear Woods.

Edited by DaMeatTrough

1. Matt Ryan

2. Curtis Lofton

3. Thomas DeCoud

4. Harry Douglas

5. Kroy Biermann

6. Sam Baker

7. Chris Owens

8. Eric Weems

9. Lawrence Sidbury

10. Peria Jerry

11. William Moore

12. Garrett Reynolds

13. Sean Weatherspoon

14. Mike Johnson

15. Corey Peters

Im only putting Spoon so low because he hasnt taken an NFL snap yet. Love the potential, but you never know who will boom/bust. Lets be honest, if we were making this list pre-2007 season, how many people would have JA98 in the top ten or even 5.

1. Matt Ryan

2. Curtis Lofton

3. Thomas DeCoud

4. Harry Douglas

5. Kroy Biermann

6. Sam Baker

7. Chris Owens

8. Eric Weems

9. Lawrence Sidbury

10. Peria Jerry

11. William Moore

12. Garrett Reynolds

13. Sean Weatherspoon

14. Mike Johnson

15. Corey Peters

Im only putting Spoon so low because he hasnt taken an NFL snap yet. Love the potential, but you never know who will boom/bust. Lets be honest, if we were making this list pre-2007 season, how many people would have JA98 in the top ten or even 5.

i'd put weems back to 15 and change sidbury with jerry and weatherspoon with reynolds.

With just simply potential in mind:

1. Matt Ryan- Franchise QB

2. Lawrence Sidbury- Tools of top Pass Rusher

3. Thomas DeCoud- Playmaking Safety with great range

4. William Moore- Combo of him and DeCoud could be lethal

5. Peria Jerry- Potential disruptive player inside.

6. Sean Weatherspoon- Potential vocal leader of our defense

7. Kroy Biermann- He will never be a top pass rusher, but will always be a good all-around player

8. Chris Owens- All-around physical CB. Could start.

9. Curtis Lofton- He is this low because I don't feel he will ever be a huge playmaker.

10. Harry Douglas- Wes Welker clone. Doesn't have great top speed, but he is very quick. He is a little lower because of his injury.

Edited by hakim24

With just simply potential in mind:

1. Matt Ryan- Franchise QB

2. Lawrence Sidbury- Tools of top Pass Rusher

3. Thomas DeCoud- Playmaking Safety with great range

4. William Moore- Combo of him and DeCoud could be lethal

5. Peria Jerry- Potential disruptive player inside.

6. Sean Weatherspoon- Potential vocal leader of our defense

7. Kroy Biermann- He will never be a top pass rusher, but will always be a good all-around player

8. Chris Owens- All-around physical CB. Could start.

9. Curtis Lofton- He is this low because I don't feel he will ever be a huge playmaker.

10. Harry Douglas- Wes Welker clone. Doesn't have great top speed, but he is very quick. He is a little lower because of his injury.

If you're going to drop HD because of injury then I think PJ and Moore should be much lower. I'd give Lofton one more year to prove himself as a playmaker. Also, Sidbury is way too high IMO; Biermann has the tools as well.

If you're going to drop HD because of injury then I think PJ and Moore should be much lower. I'd give Lofton one more year to prove himself as a playmaker. Also, Sidbury is way too high IMO; Biermann has the tools as well.

But HD doesn't really have starter potential imo. That is what sets him apart from Moore an Jerry. They are also pretty high because both of them have a legitimate players beside them (DeCoud/Babinaeux) who should open up opportunities.

The only reason why I put Sidbury there is because he is physically our most gifted DE. It hasn't translated to the field yet, but I didn't think that was what the thread was about. The fact that he plays DE also puts him up there because it is probably the most important position outside of QB and maybe MLB.

Biermann doesn't have the physical tools the Sidbury has. He is easily the better player at this point, but I think that has a good chance of changing in the future if Sidbury works hard.

But HD doesn't really have starter potential imo. That is what sets him apart from Moore an Jerry. They are also pretty high because both of them have a legitimate players beside them (DeCoud/Babinaeux) who should open up opportunities.

The only reason why I put Sidbury there is because he is physically our most gifted DE. It hasn't translated to the field yet, but I didn't think that was what the thread was about. The fact that he plays DE also puts him up there because it is probably the most important position outside of QB and maybe MLB.

Biermann doesn't have the physical tools the Sidbury has. He is easily the better player at this point, but I think that has a good chance of changing in the future if Sidbury works hard.

Eh I wouldn't slight HD just because he doesn't have blazing speed. Being a great slot guy with after the catch ability is just as important as the number 2.

Sidbury does have most of the natural physical tools but Biermann is farther along right now so that's why I gave him the nod. I think that with Biermann being a 10 sack per year guy (realistic goal for this year) it gives him the edge over Sidbury's pure potential.

I think there's way too much hope in all of your prospect rankings. Production exceeds potential every time.

1. Matt Ryan - Goes without saying. Franchise QB prospect. Still needs to hit that next level, but I have no doubts he will.

2. Curtis Lofton - He has 31 starts in his first two years and he's coming off a 133 tackle season in the NFL. No potential can exceed this production. He's already a solid starter, he just needs to start adding more impact plays.

3. Thomas DeCoud - He's proved he's capable of making plays and he's already a solid starter. He needs to prove he can do it consistently since he's only started one season.

4. Kroy Biermann - Some people will say this is too high for him, but he already proved last season he can get to the QB. DE's that can get to the QB are a rare commodity. Now he just needs to take the next step and become a consistent starter.

5. Sean Weatherspoon - I couldn't put him higher without seeing him play at the NFL level. I didn't like putting him above Douglas because Douglas proved he belongs in the NFL before his injury. I just think his potential as a playmaking LBer is a lot higher than Douglas' potential as our 3rd receiving option.

6. Harry Douglas - As a rookie he proved he's a threat any time he touches the ball, whether it be returning punts or making catches out of the slot. Now he needs to prove he's healthy and ready to take on a larger role.

7. Sam Baker - I almost put him above Douglas, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy before he can be considered a franchise LT prospect. So far he's proven he is able to compete when healthy, but health is a big asterisk when you miss as much time as he has in two seasons.

8. Peria Jerry - At this point we have to start going more off of potential then production. His action was limited due to injury, but he was holding down the middle well before it and Abe and Biermann wreaked havoc those games he was in.

9. Christopher Owens - He showed flashes last season as a rookie. His potential is as a starting CB, which is a premium position. My only hesitation is that this really depends on where he ends up in the CB competition. CB is a complete guess at this point. Grimes seems like he would have the edge to start, good things have come out of camp about Chevis Jackson, and Williams is coming back to compete. I don't think Franks will compete this season, but who knows a year from now. I put him here on potential, but when the official depth chart comes out, he could shoot way up if he starts or way down if he's our 4th corner.

10. Lawrence Sidbury - This is based mostly on potential. He's high on a lot of people's lists because of his TD, but the reality is that he's still raw and needs to see a lot more action before he starts ranking ahead of the other guys on this list.

11. William Moore - Everything from this point on is based more on potential than anything else, so I put Moore at the top of the list of players that haven't played. He gets the top spot because all signs point to him competing for a starting spot. And Coleman's not bad, so if Moore's competing, he must be looking pretty good.

12. Joe Hawley - Wow, I know, he's high on my list. But he was drafted to develop at the Center position, which is the 2nd most important OL position. McClure is going to retire soon, so it gives him a leading edge to inherit the reigns when McClure's ready to hang them up. Add to that he's a big Center at 6'3" 310lbs, didn't give up a sack all last season, and doesn't have an injury history, and hes a better prospect than the guys that follow.

13. Mike Johnson - This guy is high because of his potential as well as the potential opportunity at the position he plays. Everybody knows our OL are up for contracts, so he has an opportunity to make them expendable. He's also a monster, at 6'5" 312lbs, the leading blocker for the Heisman trophy winner, he had 16 TD resulting blocks and 98 knockdown blocks last season alone, and started 41 consecutive games.

14. Garrett Reynolds - Basically mirror what we know about Mike Johnson and take it down a small notch, and you see why Reynolds is right here.

15. Corey Peters - A lot of people are going to disagree with this one because we just drafted him and a lot of people are high on him (including me, but as a role player), but I dropped him below everybody else based on opportunity. Peria Jerry is more talented and has more potential than him. That severely limits his opportunity to shine as a starter. But I do think he'll be a very solid role player for us in our defense. I think his ceiling is lower than the other prospects above him, but that ceiling is still a very solid contribution to our defense.

Honorable Mention: Dominique Franks - I wanted him to make the list, but he has the least opportunity of anybody to make much of a difference outside of ST's. When you look at our corners now, it's going to be hard for him to see the field much any time soon. He has some immediate potential as a special teams contributor, but I can't see him having a defensive impact any time soon unless we purge some of our corners. Let's be real, there's only 1 starting CB spot available, and we have several extremely young solid prospects competing for it, severely limiting his odds of making it big any time soon. I also don't want to under-rate ST's, but even if his potential is as a stud ST'er, I couldn't rate that higher than somebody that could potentially break a starting lineup or contribute consistently on offense/defense.

I think there's way too much hope in all of your prospect rankings. Production exceeds potential every time.

1. Matt Ryan - Goes without saying. Franchise QB prospect. Still needs to hit that next level, but I have no doubts he will.

2. Curtis Lofton - He has 31 starts in his first two years and he's coming off a 133 tackle season in the NFL. No potential can exceed this production. He's already a solid starter, he just needs to start adding more impact plays.

3. Thomas DeCoud - He's proved he's capable of making plays and he's already a solid starter. He needs to prove he can do it consistently since he's only started one season.

4. Kroy Biermann - Some people will say this is too high for him, but he already proved last season he can get to the QB. DE's that can get to the QB are a rare commodity. Now he just needs to take the next step and become a consistent starter.

5. Sean Weatherspoon - I couldn't put him higher without seeing him play at the NFL level. I didn't like putting him above Douglas because Douglas proved he belongs in the NFL before his injury. I just think his potential as a playmaking LBer is a lot higher than Douglas' potential as our 3rd receiving option.

6. Harry Douglas - As a rookie he proved he's a threat any time he touches the ball, whether it be returning punts or making catches out of the slot. Now he needs to prove he's healthy and ready to take on a larger role.

7. Sam Baker - I almost put him above Douglas, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy before he can be considered a franchise LT prospect. So far he's proven he is able to compete when healthy, but health is a big asterisk when you miss as much time as he has in two seasons.

8. Peria Jerry - At this point we have to start going more off of potential then production. His action was limited due to injury, but he was holding down the middle well before it and Abe and Biermann wreaked havoc those games he was in.

9. Christopher Owens - He showed flashes last season as a rookie. His potential is as a starting CB, which is a premium position. My only hesitation is that this really depends on where he ends up in the CB competition. CB is a complete guess at this point. Grimes seems like he would have the edge to start, good things have come out of camp about Chevis Jackson, and Williams is coming back to compete. I don't think Franks will compete this season, but who knows a year from now. I put him here on potential, but when the official depth chart comes out, he could shoot way up if he starts or way down if he's our 4th corner.

10. Lawrence Sidbury - This is based mostly on potential. He's high on a lot of people's lists because of his TD, but the reality is that he's still raw and needs to see a lot more action before he starts ranking ahead of the other guys on this list.

11. William Moore - Everything from this point on is based more on potential than anything else, so I put Moore at the top of the list of players that haven't played. He gets the top spot because all signs point to him competing for a starting spot. And Coleman's not bad, so if Moore's competing, he must be looking pretty good.

12. Joe Hawley - Wow, I know, he's high on my list. But he was drafted to develop at the Center position, which is the 2nd most important OL position. McClure is going to retire soon, so it gives him a leading edge to inherit the reigns when McClure's ready to hang them up. Add to that he's a big Center at 6'3" 310lbs, didn't give up a sack all last season, and doesn't have an injury history, and hes a better prospect than the guys that follow.

13. Mike Johnson - This guy is high because of his potential as well as the potential opportunity at the position he plays. Everybody knows our OL are up for contracts, so he has an opportunity to make them expendable. He's also a monster, at 6'5" 312lbs, the leading blocker for the Heisman trophy winner, he had 16 TD resulting blocks and 98 knockdown blocks last season alone, and started 41 consecutive games.

14. Garrett Reynolds - Basically mirror what we know about Mike Johnson and take it down a small notch, and you see why Reynolds is right here.

15. Corey Peters - A lot of people are going to disagree with this one because we just drafted him and a lot of people are high on him (including me, but as a role player), but I dropped him below everybody else based on opportunity. Peria Jerry is more talented and has more potential than him. That severely limits his opportunity to shine as a starter. But I do think he'll be a very solid role player for us in our defense. I think his ceiling is lower than the other prospects above him, but that ceiling is still a very solid contribution to our defense.

Honorable Mention: Dominique Franks - I wanted him to make the list, but he has the least opportunity of anybody to make much of a difference outside of ST's. When you look at our corners now, it's going to be hard for him to see the field much any time soon. He has some immediate potential as a special teams contributor, but I can't see him having a defensive impact any time soon unless we purge some of our corners. Let's be real, there's only 1 starting CB spot available, and we have several extremely young solid prospects competing for it, severely limiting his odds of making it big any time soon. I also don't want to under-rate ST's, but even if his potential is as a stud ST'er, I couldn't rate that higher than somebody that could potentially break a starting lineup or contribute consistently on offense/defense.

I just feel DeCoud has more upside than Lofton but I wouldn't have a problem with either being 2 or 3. I would switch Moore and Sidbury because Moore's proven himself at a higher level, but then again the injury situation could negate that.

I'd flip Johnson and Hawley because Johnson is definitely the better prospect disregarding position value.

But it's a good list and good write ups. +1

Edited by DaMeatTrough

One isn't any more important than the other, IMO, all of these guy must take their game to the next level.

My Top 10

1. Matt Ryan

2. Curtis Lofton

3. Thomas DeCoud

4. Kroy Biermann

5. Peria Jerry

6. Sean Weatherspoon

7. Sam Baker

8. Christopher Owens

9. William Moore

10. Lawrence Sidbury

Honorable Mentions

11. Corey Peters

12. Mike Johnson

13. Kerry Meier

14. Joe Hawley

15. Colin Peek

One For The Road...

16. Dominique Franks

One isn't any more important than the other, IMO, all of these guy must take their game to the next level.

My Top 10

1. Matt Ryan

2. Curtis Lofton

3. Thomas DeCoud

4. Kroy Biermann

5. Peria Jerry

6. Sean Weatherspoon

7. Sam Baker

8. Christopher Owens

9. William Moore

10. Lawrence Sidbury

Honorable Mentions