Any Nissan Minds in the house?

Russdogg

i own a 1999 nissan pathfinder 3.3 2WD .. Ive had someting draining the battery forawhile, been through 2 recently. well over 1 year and a half. Sometimes it wouldnt crank because of the battery, sometimes the battery would be good and nothing. Then suddenly crank a few days later, I replaced the spark plugs, and wires, air filter, and reccently timing belt, all the belts and water pump. After we installed the new plug wires, i was test driving, and ll the lights came on, and it shut down. I took the distributor apart and found that the iginiton coil was spent, i replaced it, and now its like its cross wired, but it isnt, 135 - 246. 0.44 gap. Im wondering if its jumped time, or is there another coil, or something in the distributor i should check? thanks

Russcosper@yahoo.com

My VW went through a phase like that. Sometimes it was good to go, sometimes you would get in id an... not even a RRR RRR. One night coming home from a friend house a few miles down the road, I noticed the lights getting dimmer and dimmer. We were running on PURE battery , and I had my answer, my Generator was not charging the battery. About halfway home I was holding a strong flashlight out the window so my friend who was driving could see the white line and know where road side was. We were praying not to see a cop. My little VW made it exactlt to the end of the driveway and died right there in the road. Luckily I had an emergency jumper in the car so I jumped her and it gave it enough to get her into the drive and out of the road.

Now, even though it is fixed of that problem, I put a quick release battery cable on the Neg post and whenever she is parked, I pop the cable off so there is no drain possible. It's also a cool anti theft device that cost about three bucks.

So maybe your alternator is not charging the battery properly.

I doubt it would be the altrnator. If it where the alternator it would die once and not crank again until being fixed. SOunds to me like its jumping time. On a pathfinder that prob wont be a cheap job. Sorry dude

my thoughts too, its done it twice, this would be the third time... and yeah it sucks.. its a 400.00 job.

I doubt it would be the altrnator. If it where the alternator it would die once and not crank again until being fixed. SOunds to me like its jumping time. On a pathfinder that prob wont be a cheap job. Sorry dude

If its jumping time, the car would be consistently running like sh*t

But when my Generator went out, it didn't just die. Sometimes it would decide to work and charge the battery and it would crank fine, sometimes it would not charge it at all and once you parked, The battery would just be dead. If you are out in the day and not using headlights etc.., your battery will take you a good ways and you never even know the alternator is fritzing on you. Anyway, it's a cheap thing to check before getting into the timing thing.

Based on what you typed, I would think (initially) you had a short.....................

Now you may need a new ignition box. My $.02

i own a 1999 nissan pathfinder 3.3 2WD .. Ive had someting draining the battery forawhile, been through 2 recently. well over 1 year and a half. Sometimes it wouldnt crank because of the battery, sometimes the battery would be good and nothing. Then suddenly crank a few days later, I replaced the spark plugs, and wires, air filter, and reccently timing belt, all the belts and water pump. After we installed the new plug wires, i was test driving, and ll the lights came on, and it shut down. I took the distributor apart and found that the iginiton coil was spent, i replaced it, and now its like its cross wired, but it isnt, 135 - 246. 0.44 gap. Im wondering if its jumped time, or is there another coil, or something in the distributor i should check? thanks

Russcosper@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

had it towed to a repair shop..they telling me the cadilac converter is gone, so im guessing im going to straight pipe it..

Cadilac converter? Does that turn your nissan into a cadilac? LOL, j/k

When they say gone, do the mean plugged up or it has been stolen?