Can we go undefeated?

jes2400

Every season at least one team flirts with an undefeated season(the Patriots actually did it before losing to the Giants in the Superbowl). Could that team be us? Now don't get me wrong. I know that's a very difficult thing to accomplish and our schedule isn't a piece of cake. Going undefeated would be very hard, but I think we have the chance to at least come very close. We're going to have a very talented team, a great coaching staff, a smart GM, and an owner dedicated to winning. Our schedule isn't easy by any means, but I don't see any real daunting tasks. I already predict we go undefeated at home. Here's my brief opinion of each game:

[*]1 at PITTSBURG

One of 6 teams we face that have QB changes or issues. Pittsburg is always going to be a tough place to play in, but they won't have Big Ben and T.Palo is coming off an injury. If our pass rush is strong, we will give Leftwitch a hard time.

[*]2 ARIZONA

Can Leinart be an effective replacement for Warner? Also, they lost Bolden and Rolle.

[*]3 at NEW ORLEANS

This will be a tough one, but we always play them close, and if our secondary is solid like I think it will be, we can take 'em down in their house.

[*]4 SAN FRANCISCO

While they've improved lately,they're not good yet and they're not going to beat us at home.

[*]5 at CLEVELAND

The Browns still have a lot of work to do to climb out of the cellar-dweller role.

[*]6 at PHILADELPHIA

Another game that usually, would be a very tough game,but is Kolb ready to be the starting QB? Always a good game between us.

[*]7 CINCINNATI

An unpredictable team. We're at home though.

[*]8 TAMPA BAY

Still rebuilding, and I'm not sure Morris is the answer for them.

[*]9 BALTIMORE

Probably our toughest game of the season. The 3rd game of a 3 game home stand. We're going to have to play mistake free football and we must run the ball well.

[*]10 at ST.LOUIS

we're gonna have 10 days rest and they're the Rams, enough said.

[*]11 GREEN BAY

Another tough one, though not as tough as the Ravens. we should be able to pull this one out.

[*]12 at TAMPA BAY

Now we're in their house, but I still don't think they're good enough yet.

[*]13 at CAROLINA

Some people think they're gonna do alright, but I think they're gonna struggle. They have a new QB and no more Peppers.

[*]14 at SEATTLE

Coming off a 5-11 season and have a new head coach. We all know college coaches' history in the NFL. Carroll may be different. we'll see.

[*]15 NEW ORLEANS

Monday Night Football! I'm betting this game will have division and playoff implications. once again, we're at home.

[*]16 CAROLINA

The final game of the reg season. If we have playoff position locked up, some players might be rested and not play in this game. If that's the case, we have some solid reserves and still could win this one.

I think we're gonna have a great season, I say we at least match '98 with a 14-2 record. To accomplish this ,however, WE MUST STAY HEALTHY. IF we do that, we'll be alright.

Edited by jes2400

14-2 isnt unrealistic.

Of course, alot depends on the health of our team and how well our defense improves compared to last years performance.

I am most worried about the 3 game road trip in weeks 12 through 14 - at Tampa, at Carolina and at Seattle.

What sounds like an easy streak of games is far from it. Another mid-season swoon like last year could be the difference in not only a playoff spot, but home field advantage in said playoff spot.

In '98 we got on a roll and never looked back. We will need a similar run of health, confidence and team cohesiveness that we witnessed in '98 to achieve what we all think this team can do.

That particular three game stretch is the key to our season.

14-2 isnt unrealistic.

Of course, alot depends on the health of our team and how well our defense improves compared to last years performance.

I am most worried about the 3 game road trip in weeks 12 through 14 - at Tampa, at Carolina and at Seattle.

What sounds like an easy streak of games is far from it. Another mid-season swoon like last year could be the difference in not only a playoff spot, but home field advantage in said playoff spot.

In '98 we got on a roll and never looked back. We will need a similar run of health, confidence and team cohesiveness that we witnessed in '98 to achieve what we all think this team can do.

That particular three game stretch is the key to our season.

The confidence and cohesiveness I think we have, it's the staying healthy part that has to improve. B.Williams, P.Jerry, H.Douglas, and injuries on the O-line really hurt us last season. We need to make sure we have good depth in all positions.

The physical, mental and emotional toll of an undefeated season, as well as the controversy sure to surround the last game of the regular season isn't worth the headache. I'd much rather enter the playoffs healthy and on a roll.

exactly. its just another distraction. the pressure it puts on the players is unnecessary. sure it would be nice having an undefeated season to our names but not worth it really. ultimate goal is the superbowl.

Let's see. One undefeated team in the history of the league? It would be tough.

Right now I'm sitting on a 10-6 but could increase that as high as 12-4 after the preseason.

Most here want to see Grimes/Owens, Moore, Peria, Lofton and Spoon start on defense. That's a young defense with a couple comin in off injury. The Oline still has question marks. 16-0? 14-2? I wouldn't bank on it.

Let's see. One undefeated team in the history of the league? It would be tough.

Right now I'm sitting on a 10-6 but could increase that as high as 12-4 after the preseason.

Most here want to see Grimes/Owens, Moore, Peria, Lofton and Spoon start on defense. That's a young defense with a couple comin in off injury. The Oline still has question marks. 16-0? 14-2? I wouldn't bank on it.

On the other hand, no one banked on us going 14-2 in '98 or 11-5 year before last either did they? I believe our team is going to be more talented than a lot of us think. I know being undefeated is a monumental task, I said so in my post, but I don't think 14-2 is completely out of the question.

Watching this NO/Pats replay on NFLN. I dunno. They're not the same team they were last year - I don't see lightning striking 2x. But think about how good NE was for how long, before they even sniffed an undefeated season. I just don't think we're there yet. And as much as it makes me want to throw up (I really hate both of these teams, NE for a while now, NO since they think their ish don't stink anymore - the last few yrs...) I gotta say, NO looks pretty good against a decent Belichek coached, Brady led Pats team.

I'm honestly NOT a glass half empty guy, but I am a realist. I even think 14-2 is a LOT to hope for...

On the other hand, no one banked on us going 14-2 in '98 or 11-5 year before last either did they? I believe our team is going to be more talented than a lot of us think. I know being undefeated is a monumental task, I said so in my post, but I don't think 14-2 is completely out of the question.

The 1998 team was comin off of a 6-2 finish in the second half of 97. (the ARI game should have been a win). Then they went on a tear in 1998 on the backs of Jam and a front seven that was in shut down run mode.

Plus they had a DC that knows freakin defense. Not to mention four vets sittin back in the secondary that made plays. The weakest DB was Booker, the nickel, a young boy like the ones you guys are begging to see on the football field.

I don't see this defense on the 98 level but like I said, all things are possible. I'm sticking with 10-6 with a possible upgrade to 12-4 after preseason.

The physical, mental and emotional toll of an undefeated season, as well as the controversy sure to surround the last game of the regular season isn't worth the headache. I'd much rather enter the playoffs healthy and on a roll.

exactly. its just another distraction. the pressure it puts on the players is unnecessary. sure it would be nice having an undefeated season to our names but not worth it really. ultimate goal is the superbowl.

I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, it would be great to make history for something good. We'd be the talk of the NFL, for good reasons! Then again, we all see what happened to the Patriots. They went undefeated in the reg season and swept through the playoffs, then lost to the Giants in the Superbowl. That's all everyone remembers. So I get it. It still would be nice though.

TO GO UNDEFEATED, THE PLANETS WOULD HAVE TO LINE UP JUST RIGHT.

AND EVEN THEN, WE'D NEED THE HELP OF A FEW BLACK HOLES. THE PLANETS

HAVE NEVER BEEN ALIGNED JUST RIGHT FOR US. IF THEY HAVE ... WE WERE

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE UNIVERSE WHEN IT HAPPENED. FOR ANY TEAM

TO GO UNDEFEATED, THE BALL HAS TO BOUNCE YOUR WAY, NOT MOST OF THE

TIME .... BUT ALL OF THE TIME. WE JUST AIN'T THAT LUCKY ... YET!!

The 16-0 threads usually start in August. It happens ever year, and especially after winning the opener.

I know, but I was bored, so I started one early :lol: ! It's already looking like we're gonna have a good team this year. I know undefeated's unlikely(only once in NFL history), but it's fun to think about.

Edited by jes2400

I know, but I was bored, so I started one early laugh.gif ! It's already looking like we're gonna have a good team this year. I know undefeated's unlikely(only once in NFL history), but it's fun to think about.

I wasn't even referring to this one, since you only asked about the possibility, besides its not one of those 16-0 BABY!!!!!! threads that pop up like weeds when starting 1-0, that's so lame.

In truth, as much as I like the thought of it I wouldn't want it to happen because it's not 16-0, in reality that would quckly become meaningless. The real number to aim for is 3-0, or 4-0 in the postseason. That's much more realistic, attainable and ultimately rewarding streak even though shorter. I just don't see what all the fuss is about 16-0. Who cares how you get there, its how you finish that matters.

19-0 will be a big deal when it happens, but the team that will do it will be a powerhouse veteran team, like the Patriots were a few years ago when they fell a minute short.

The Falcons may or may not have a Super Bowl caliber team, but they have enough weak spots to where they really aren't the kind of powerhouse that is going to put together a run like that.

No I think thats an unrealistic and unfair expectation,theres probably only a few times in the history of the NFL that teams have gone 16-0 in the regular season so as above i think the chances of doing this a next to 0%.Now with this mind I think its going to be hard enough going undefeated in the division let alone overall.

No I think thats an unrealistic and unfair expectation,theres probably only a few times in the history of the NFL that teams have gone 16-0 in the regular season so as above i think the chances of doing this a next to 0%.Now with this mind I think its going to be hard enough going undefeated in the division let alone overall.

One. The 2007 Patriots.