Colin Peek...Gonzalez's heir?

Durrty

Linky

It's no coincidence that Peek, at times, shows flashes of Gonzalez' attributes, they're traits that he's patterned his game after and he knows he's fortunate to begin his career with him.

"Tony Gonzalez, to me, is the greatest tight end of all time," Peek said last week. "It's a blessing and an honor to be able to play under someone like that, especially to be able to pick his brain, see what he does, see him every day on the field, and how he works. It's truly a blessing to work with someone like that."

See, this kid gets it.

I'd like to see Peek get some playing time in this year if possible while Gonzalez grooms him for the next couple of years. I think he has the potential to be an effective starter for the Falcons. His measurables are nearly identical to Gonzalez's and he's already patterned his game around him. When we drafted Peek, I knew that this guy could be that guy...and to think, a small percentage of the board wanted us to draft a TE in the first! TD may have found another diamond in the rough here.

Linky

See, this kid gets it.

I'd like to see Peek get some playing time in this year if possible while Gonzalez grooms him for the next couple of years. I think he has the potential to be an effective starter for the Falcons. His measurables are nearly identical to Gonzalez's and he's already patterned his game around him. When we drafted Peek, I knew that this guy could be that guy...and to think, a small percentage of the board wanted us to draft a TE in the first! TD may have found another diamond in the rough here.

Technically we didn't draft him but I get your point.

Guest mashburn

Just curious,

Why Peek and not Palmer?

Really I do not know anything about either of them.

[/quote

I don't know that much about palmer. but I do know a little more on Peek. Peek is a GT boy then went to bama. peek has made 2 TD catches in the georgia dome. when I went to OTA's, peek looks to be catching just like gonzalez. I then looked at peeks youtube and saw he perfers to catch the ball like that. Peek was projected to go in the drafts, but when he got hurt it knocked him completly out.

I'm not a fan of getting hurt players. but with the way peek catches, knowing how to handle pressure, and catches TD already in the dome; I am really praying he works.

I'm a huge Colin Peek fan, even though he's a Bammer. I think there's no doubt he makes the team as the 3rd TE. However, I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm as to his potential. I think he'll be a solid, reliable NFL TE, but I just don't think he has the physical skills to be an elite TE. Still excited to see what he can do in TC and preseason though.

Technically we didn't draft him but I get your point.

Right, right, I completely forgot he was a UDFA...thanks.

I do hope this kid pans out though. I don't know much about Palmer except that he was 400 yards shy of reaching 1,000 career total yards at Clemson. Judging by that, I take it he wasn't utilized that much, but he may be a gem in the running game going by Spiller's success. With Peek though, he's caught clutch passes in big games, one in the championship game I think, so he's accustomed to making the big play...on top of that, the guy has the passion to be like the best. I told a young up and comer who liked to talk to me about football - he thinks I'm a wiz and even asked me to train him! :lol: I mean, I know a little, but the one bit of information I did give him - and he plays CB by the way - is to study tapes of the best and try to pattern your style around theirs. Seems like Peek is applying that philosophy and I think it'll pay dividends in the long run.

Peek running a 4.93 scared the **** out of scouts.... They already felt like he didnt have the speed to stretch the field... Th 40 time confirmed it....

Peek is a good blocker and has good hands... I think can become a solid #2 or 3 TE but i dont think he is Tony G's heir.

its not a complete stretch that he will make the active roster...but more than likely he will be on the PS if anything

Gonzo and Peele arent goin anywhere obviously, and Zinger was 1)drafted for a reason and that is to block and 2)has a decent amount of NFL game-time experience though.

Its obvious Zinger will never be a receiving threat, but not every NFL TE is a real receiving threat anyways. Some times you just need role players.

It's pretty unfair to put him next to the best TE to ever put on a uniform.

Tony Gonzalez in his prime could block like a linemen, had the body to block out any CB or safety, had the speed to blow by any LB and some DBs, and had hands that simply owned the football. He still can catch and run routes exceptionally well, but he's starting to lose his speed and blocking ability. Regardless of that however, he's still a Top 5 NFL TE.

its not a complete stretch that he will make the active roster...but more than likely he will be on the PS if anything

Gonzo and Peele arent goin anywhere obviously, and Zinger was 1)drafted for a reason and that is to block and 2)has a decent amount of NFL game-time experience though.

Its obvious Zinger will never be a receiving threat, but not every NFL TE is a real receiving threat anyways. Some times you just need role players.

Yea.... Coach Smith told Michael Palmer that we will carry 3 TE's on the active roster and 1 on the PS.... I can see both making the team or PS over Zinger....

Peek running a 4.93 scared the **** out of scouts.... They already felt like he didnt have the speed to stretch the field... Th 40 time confirmed it....

Peek is a good blocker and has good hands... I think can become a solid #2 or 3 TE but i dont think he is Tony G's heir.

I know 40 times are somewhat important, but I think if a receiver can get seperation by running crisp routes, he could be just as effective as a guy who can burn a defender on a route. Example...Jenkins has the speed, but struggled to get seperation last year from defenders which hurt his production. On that SI cover, Peek generated some pretty good space between him and the LB for the TD. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Gonzalez, but I think - potentially - he could bring similar production at the TE position. I think his speed and his route running will improve a good amount through these OTAs and TC.

Right, right, I completely forgot he was a UDFA...thanks.

I do hope this kid pans out though. I don't know much about Palmer except that he was 400 yards shy of reaching 1,000 career total yards at Clemson. Judging by that, I take it he wasn't utilized that much, but he may be a gem in the running game going by Spiller's success. With Peek though, he's caught clutch passes in big games, one in the championship game I think, so he's accustomed to making the big play...on top of that, the guy has the passion to be like the best. I told a young up and comer who liked to talk to me about football - he thinks I'm a wiz and even asked me to train him! :lol: I mean, I know a little, but the one bit of information I did give him - and he plays CB by the way - is to study tapes of the best and try to pattern your style around theirs. Seems like Peek is applying that philosophy and I think it'll pay dividends in the long run.

I wasn't trying to be smart, so if you thought that I do apologize I just enjoy taking playful jabs at fellow Falcon fans that don't have hidden agendas.