Buccaneers sign WR Mike Williams

Corsair

Per Adam Schefter's Twitter:

"Bucs signed 2010 fourth-round pick WR Mike Williams to a four-year contract - he's going to be good."

Via PewterReport.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers began the process of signing their draft picks on Friday with the signing of fourth-round pick wide receiver Mike Williams. The Syracuse product was taken with the 101st pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Williams was considered throughout the NFL to have first-round talent, but off-field issues at Syracuse caused him to fall to the fourth round. Williams, 23, was signed to a four-year contract worth as much as $3.15 million including bonuses and escalators.

"I love this game, so I urged my agent, Hadley Engelhard, to reach an agreement quickly. I am focused on the opportunity to contribute to the team and am very excited to be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer," said Williams.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound Williams is a highly talented player that has produced when he played football. Williams was a starter during his freshman year, and in his three-year career with the Orangemen, he caught 133 passes for 2,044 yards and scored 20 touchdowns in 29 games. In 2009, Williams had two phenomenal games before quitting the team midseason. Against Northwestern he racked up 209 yards and two TDs on 11 catches, and had a career-high 13 catches for 186 yards and two scores against South Florida.

Last year, Williams played in eight games and had 49 catches for 746 yards (15 yards per catch) and six touchdowns. As a freshman, Williams led Syracuse in receiving. He had 24 catches for 461 yards and four touchdowns. His best games that season were a three-catch, 99-yard game with one touchdown at West Virginia. A week later against Louisville, Williams had five receptions for 98 yards and a score.

In his sophomore season, Williams caught 60 passes for 837 yards and 10 touchdowns. Against Buffalo, Williams had seven receptions for 113 yards and one touchdown. In the final game of the year against Cincinnati, Williams had nine receptions for 160 yards and one touchdown. Williams was a second-team All-Big East selection. Football people around Syracuse said that he was one of the best athletes the team has had in the last 15 years.

Williams is competing for a starting spot with Tampa Bay, and has impressed the coaching staff and his teammates thus far with the Buccaneers. Currently Williams is in the mix to be the starting split end or 'X' receiver. Due to his downfield speed and playmaking ability, Williams figures to receive a lot of playing time even if doesn't end up winning a starting spot immediately.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Good they can have him TD and Smitty don't draft quitters and That makes me happy.

Aye?:rolleyes::lol:

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Just to be sure, here is my prediction.

By the end of his rookie year, people will be saying that this kid is the best WR in this draft class.

I totally agree.

Thanks for posting this thread. Williams could quite easily be the steal of the '10 draft.

Didn't they say the same about Clayton and we know how that turned out. I remember that being said about the Caddy as well but look how quickly things can turn in the NFL.

Clayton was a first round pick, Caddy was #5 overall... I don't either of them were considered a steal.

And yes, the Buccaneers (as well as every other team in the league) have drafted people who didn't turn out as planned, but they have also drafted people who have turned out great. You could compare Williams just as easily to Tanard Jackson, Geno Hayes, Donald Penn (Undrafted). All 3 are late rounders that are above average starters.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

IS this the crap we gotta hear from these BW fans from now on?

Isn't there a circle jerk contest going on that they should be at?

Yup! It's over on the Saints Report board. That's where they keep dumping their little squigglies when they're not over here trying to convince us how great their lucky a sses are.:rolleyes::lol:

grapes-print.jpg

:lol:

No sour grapes here.

Just remember, because your team just got its first championship you have one-upped the Panties and Falgoons... but you've simply just pulled even with the Bucs. Welcome to the club, but you're sitting in my chair.

I never said steal, but I was pointing out how your highly rated picks haven't turned out so well. Especially, Clayton who is a WR. So what makes you think M. Williams will fare better?

First off, Clayton has played for 6 different starting QBs. Mike Will will have the advantage to grow with a young QB. Believe it or not, Josh can make throws that Simms, Griese, Leftwich, McCown and Garcia couldn't make for a litany of reasons. As Free progresses, he will take MW and Benn with him.

Secondly, both of our rookie WR's are in the enviable position to have a wide open depth chart in front of them. While it looks like Benn might take a little longer, Williams has been showing in OTA's that he has a solid skill set and unbelievable range mixed with speed. I definately feel that Williams has been showing some serious flash... which is why he is already in the discussion to start at the Split End position in game 1.

Thirdly, the fact that he came in wanting to put his past behind him. Getting this contract done quickly shows that he doesn't want to be a distraction (because of his perceived value, he would have been a legitimate first rounder if not for his altercation last year). Many scouts said that if he could put his past behind him then he is at the top of the class of talent for this year. Signing so quickly (with less negotiations) is a step in the right direction for me.

Clayton, for me... is a head scratcher. Zero consistency at QB, as well as a coaching style that he couldn't handle mentally were probably his downfall.

Caddy shouldn't have been a top 5 pick with his stats, but he is more than the sum of his parts. He is a leader of the team, and has overcome more than most NFL players have faced and still plays with huge intensity and passion. Alstott used to inspire just being on our sideline, Caddy is having the same affect.

Neither of those guys were drafted by our current regime, either. Dominik has done a fine job in our last 2 drafts. This particular draft takes the cake though. IMO, the best draft we have had since '95.

Edited by Corsair

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

No sour grapes here.

Just remember, because your team just got its first championship you have one-upped the Panties and Falgoons... but you've simply just pulled even with the Bucs. Welcome to the club, but you're sitting in my chair.

None here either, They just hate having it pointed out that had Favre not made the biggest bonehead move of his illustrious career, they would not have even been in the Super Bowl.:lol:

None here either, They just hate having it pointed out that had Favre not made the biggest bonehead move of his illustrious career, they would not have even been in the Super Bowl.:lol:

On the contrary - I love seeing you whine incessantly about our awesome championship run. I was loving it in the weeks leading up to the big game, where you kept reminding us about the Tampa Bay Curse, or how no one had ever lost the last 3 games and won a SB, or how Warner was gonna smoke us, or Favre, ect.

I especially love seeing you go all homer ballistic when someone even in jest compares us favorably to the all time greaste SB team EVAR, the 2002 Bucs :lol: Like ANYONE could compete with those gridiron gods. Anyone besides future HoFers Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett, of course B)

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

I'm not sure why you guys broke up that dynasty? I guess you guys got tired of the Falcons opening up cans of whoopazz on ya... :lol:

As bad as they may have been they were still able to make the playoffs with Wrong Way Brooks under center and they did beat the world champs twice in '02. :blink:

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

On the contrary - I love seeing you whine incessantly about our awesome championship run. I was loving it in the weeks leading up to the big game, where you kept reminding us about the Tampa Bay Curse, or how no one had ever lost the last 3 games and won a SB, or how Warner was gonna smoke us, or Favre, ect.

I especially love seeing you go all homer ballistic when someone even in jest compares us favorably to the all time greaste SB team EVAR, the 2002 Bucs :lol: Like ANYONE could compete with those gridiron gods. Anyone besides future HoFers Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett, of course B)

:lol::lol: And what I post is NOT in jest? Keep trying Nancy.;)

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

"Since being drafted out of Syracuse with a lot of baggage in the fourth round with the 101st overall pick, Williams has been everything the franchise had hoped for. He dominated the Bucs' rookie mini-camp and was clearly the star of the show, even upstaging first-round draft pick defensive tackle Gerald McCoy".

"It’s one thing that Williams has the speed to blow by defensive backs and out-leap them for big plays downfield in practice. It’s another thing for him to personally want to repair his image and take advantage of the fresh start that is afforded to him as a rookie in the NFL by taking care of his financial business without incident and gettinf his contract signed in early June – ahead of all the other Bucs rookies."

Edited by jb aka johnnybuc

your temple veins start pulsing :P

BETTER WATCH IT THERE JB ... THATS THE SIGN OF STROKE TERRITORY.

I RECOMMEND THAT HE SEE A PHYSICIAN BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO ENTER

RIVAL CENTRAL AT THE START OF THIS SEASON.

I KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE IT JB .. BUT IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. :)

• 3 weeks later...

DECISION ABOUT WILLIAMS AS NUMBER ONE LOOMING

While many Buccaneers coaches and staff will be taking vacations over the next five weeks, some critical decisions are going to be made that will effect the 2010 season. At some point over these next few weeks, Bucs head coach Raheem Morris, general manager Mark Dominik, offensive coordinator Greg Olson, wide receivers coach Eric Yarber, director of college scouting Dennis Hickey, and other staff will be deciding whether to make a bold move with Tampa Bay's receiving corps.

The decision that is being labored over at One Buc Place is whether to make rookie wide receiver Mike Williams the number one receiver entering training camp. Sources with the team feel that he is their best receiver, and talent-wise he is their number one receiver. During the mini-camps and OTAs (organized team activities), Williams has been the team's best receiver, and sources with the team feel that he should enter training camp as the number one receiver starting at split end.

Anyone who watched Williams at Syracuse knew he had first-round ability, but the 6-foot-2, 212-pounder was drafted in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft due to character concerns. With the Buccaneers, Williams has been a welcome addition in the locker room, and is well liked by the players and coaches.

Williams has jelled with Tampa Bay's franchise quarterback, Josh Freeman, and the duo consistently hooked up for a number of big plays downfield this spring. While Freeman was able to go downfield to other receivers, it happened more so with Williams. He has the speed to get deep, and the size and athleticism to make tough catches. Williams said he and the coaches have not discussed making him the number one receiver, but he is getting more and more work.

"Not really, not like that," said Williams. "I think just getting more reps. I'm going out to practice and I get six reps one day, and then 18, and 20 the next. I don't know what they are thinking but I'm going out there and working hard."

There are a few reasons why the decision to make Williams the number one is important to do ahead of training camp. First of all, Williams would need the reps. The starters get more reps than the backups in the team scrimmage sessions, and Williams would need the reps to help him get ready for the regular season.

Secondly, Williams being a starter from day one would provide him with more practice reps with Freeman to build their chemistry. The young Bucs have already put in some extra work to get familiar with each other.

"Freeman says even if you are the number one guy in practice, you probably get about three balls in practice," said Williams. "After everybody leaves we come out here and get extra routes. We do extra things so we can get better, and when it comes to it we can be on the same page."

The third reason to make Williams the starter from day one is he will be going up against starting cornerbacks Ronde Barber and Aqib Talib. Playing two good corners in practice will only help Williams to have an impact on game day.

"I always look at it as a challenge," Williams said. "Every time I see Talib in front of me, I bring my best stuff. If I see Ronde in front of me, I bring my best. I look at it as me going out there and competing in a challenge. Competing against those guys will hopefully get me ready for other corners around the league."

After Williams, team sources say that Sammie Stroughter has been the second-best receiver in practice. Another receiver just a notch below is Maurice Stovall. If Williams is made the number one receiver at split end (X receiver), Stroughter would be the starting flanker. When the Buccaneers go to their three-receiver set Stroughter would move inside to the slot (Y receiver) and Stovall would be at flanker (Z receiver).

The team also likes Reggie Brown and Arrelious Benn, and feel that they will be even better when the pads come on.

In the meantime, Williams was given some summer homework by the Bucs staff. Williams was given some tape to study of other successful wideouts in the NFL that he shares some similar skills with. While the homework was meant for the gap before training camp, Williams couldn't wait to get started.

"It has Larry Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson [Ochocinco], Brandon Marshall, and Anquan Boldin," said Williams. "I watched the first two already but I haven't watched the last two yet. They want me to study those guys and look at how those guys run routes and try and run some like them guys."

Williams and Benn are two confident rookies that feel they are ready to make an immediate contribution.

"We all feel like we got it," said Williams. "We got to keep just getting repetition and repetition until we're pros. We aren't pros yet, we're just rookies."

Nevertheless, this rookie has a lot of people in the organization believing that he should be the number one receiver from day one of training camp. A few discussions will take place in the weeks to come to validate that the organization is on the same page about that.

"Earning playing time. Going out there and letting all the guys know that its' not just me in sweats and a shirt, but proving that I can play in equipment too," said Williams.