Spoon Vs Dez Bryant

Shuswap

It's the off season and i'm bored and wodering what you guys think our team would have looked like if we would have drafted Bryant in the first got a olb in the 3rd.Don't get mad i was on Spoon bandwagon all the way but now the draft is over i'm still looking a differnt draft scenarious.

Drafting Bryant at 19# wouldn't have made any sense IMO with Spoon still on the board! - Even tho he was available when we picked - I think the front office did a good job in drafting for "need" rather than value! - As for Passing on Bryant well To bad he couldn't be on the best team in the NFL!

Edited by CHOCTHEFALCONFAN

It's the off season and i'm bored and wodering what you guys think our team would have looked like if we would have drafted Bryant in the first got a olb in the 3rd.Don't get mad i was on Spoon bandwagon all the way but now the draft is over i'm still looking a differnt draft scenarious.

Spoon fills a need that we desperately needed. A OLB that can cover, blitz, and bring some swagger. Bryant is a great athlete, but I don't think he ever fit the Falcon's mold from the beginning.... especially with HD coming back. He would have been an upgrade over Jenks.... but that is a lot of money for another guy to catch the ball.

The only OLB's that went in the 3rd round were Donald Butler, Navarro Bowman, and Rennie Curran.

I know some on this board were high on Rennie Curran...... not sure how it would have worked out..... But I am happy how it did!

I was one of the people on the Dez Bryant bandwagon. He simply had too much talent to pass up on #19. Though he does seem a bit more immature than previously thought, he has all the tools you want on the field. He is everything Michael Jenkins should be. We have to surround our franchise QB with adequate weapons and getting to chance a talented WR as Dez Bryant to replace Roddy White in the future is going to be difficult (though we did draft White in the late 1st round).

Our FO went and got Ryan Baker and Turner there first year giving us lot's of offensive weapons and a steal in Decoud. 2nd year they got Jerry Moore Gonzalez. 3rd year we got spoon Peters and Robinson and some OL help.I'm seeing a trend here. 3 free agents that we have gotten are starters and are all top 10 in the league at there positions IMO.Our front Office is really good and i think next year we might draft a WR early or a DE either way we find players in FA...

Bryant would have been nice, but our offense is good enough to win games. We were getting killed with short passes, screens, and dump off to RBs and TEs. We had to add a good coverage LB if we were ever going to stop teams like the Ain'ts and the Eagles.

I think to answer your question you should ask yourself the question which is which player will have a bigger impact on his respective team this year? IMO, it's Spoon, which makes him the better pick. Bryant will add another weapon to an already explosive Cowboys' offense, while Spoon instantly upgrades an area on the defense that lacked in production...

...this is of course if both players play to the level of their draft position.

A better thread would have been what if we drafted Dorsey and Flacco or Henne in 2008.

That's a topic that will live for at least five to ten more years on this board.

Sorry i didnt put much thought into it.I will try harder next time..

A better thread would have been what if we drafted Dorsey and Flacco or Henne in 2008.

That's a topic that will live for at least five to ten more years on this board.

You should start that topic

Edited by canadianatlfalcon

All off season my cousin was talkin spoon this spoon that. I honestly never took the time to research the guy. I knew Dallas was interested in Bryant and wasn't sure he'd fall that far. I'm sure both teams will benefit from the players they picked, but I feel Dallas got the better player

I'm still not on Dez Bryant like that ... something about him just doesn't click.

I'm still not on Dez Bryant like that ... something about him just doesn't click.

They say the real reason he fell was that the medicals came back and showed he had a bad ticker. But I know what you mean, he could very well be the next Randy Moss or the next Mike Williams.

They say the real reason he fell was that the medicals came back and showed he had a bad ticker. But I know what you mean, he could very well be the next Randy Moss or the next Mike Williams.

does he even know how to run a route? of the OSU games I watched he was basically just run & gunning LOL. the only recievers that I liked this season was Jordan Shipley, Arrelious Benn, Andre Roberts, & Demaryius Thomas. call me crazy but I think we did better getting Kerry Meier anyway. ever since we drafted this kid and I started researching to see what he brings to the table, I'm loving what I see. If I was an OC I'm playing him immediately.

does he even know how to run a route? of the OSU games I watched he was basically just run & gunning LOL. the only recievers that I liked this season was Jordan Shipley, Arrelious Benn, Andre Roberts, & Demaryius Thomas. call me crazy but I think we did better getting Kerry Meier anyway. ever since we drafted this kid and I started researching to see what he brings to the table, I'm loving what I see. If I was an OC I'm playing him immediately.

I agree 100%. I think Meier could be the steal of the draft. Bryant is just raw talent, but watching him and D.Thomas it looked like they always had an empty field ahead of them. I'm much happier with the Spoon pick. Spoon was always my favorite since the Senior Bowl.

Maybe I am wrong since the NFL has plenty of 'angry young men' in it, but I think the guy is athletically talented with a bad head on his shoulders.

Remember the blow up about Jeff Ireland asking if his mom was a prostitute? The guy created that situation. If he had been smart, he would have never mentioned, and when he got asked about it, he should have just "I don't want to talk about stuff from the draft with other teams. I'm here to be a Cowboy."

Instead, he did talk about it, created a media storm, had people demanding Ireland apologize, got his family involved asking for apologies. Then it turns out he created the whole situation. "My Dad was a pimp." What did your mom do? "Worked for my Dad." .... wtf did he think the next question was going to be then?

I think the guy is going to do something like the above and take umbrage at something with his organization and become disgruntled because people that do things like he did in the Ireland situation seem to have a character blind spot like an inability to acknowledge their own responsibility. As a result they go through life making mistakes that they do not acknowledge (and fail to learn from) while blaming others for everything. These are generally pi22ed off and unhappy people. Not what we want in a Falcon.

In summary, I'd rather have a happy Spoon 'going ham' on twitter, to somebody like Bryant. Not to mention we needed LB about 5 times more than a WR.

Guest mashburn

why would anyone want bryant? the guy won't last. he has amazing speed. but has anyone looked at what happens to him when he gets hit? look at the georgia game. our safetys (yest safety's...meaning our back up guy) put a hit on him where he couldn't get up right away. even with GA top safety guy put a hit on bryant he tried to walk off the field stumbling and you could tell he did not know where he was. but that was only against GA D last year. look at all the others when someone puts a hit on him......bryant leaves the field to much limping or holding his chest or head. if the guy can't handle a hit in college, he won't last in the NFL when he meets those biggger, stronger, hitters.

I think it would've been a bad move for many reasons. One, we would've had to get LBer in the 3rd. At our spot, the highest rated available would've been Navorro Bowman. That would be a huge step down from Weatherspoon. On top of that, we wouldn't have taken Peters or the two OL we drafted. I think Mike Johnson is going to end up being a stud. We would have also missed out on Franks, who was a steal at the point where we got him.

Here's a look at what our picks would have been if we took the positions in the same order, with the next highest ranked at that position. I like the 6 guys we got.

Weatherspoon, Peters, Johnson, Hawley, Franks, Meier

vs

Bryant WR, Bowman LB, Geno Adkins DT, Jacques McClendon OG, Matt Tenant C, Jamar Wall CB

All off season my cousin was talkin spoon this spoon that. I honestly never took the time to research the guy. I knew Dallas was interested in Bryant and wasn't sure he'd fall that far. I'm sure both teams will benefit from the players they picked, but I feel Dallas got the better player

Sounds like your cuz knows !!! :)

I believe we easily got the best deal. But Bryant has really had to get through some life stuff. Hopefully it will benefit him in the correct manner.