spelling bee protestors...

Okay, when can we start shooting these people before they dumb us down any more?EET a ####.

"Roberta Mahoney, 81, a former Fairfax County, Va. elementary school principal, said the current language obstructs 40 percent of the population from learning how to read, write and spell.

"Our alphabet has 425-plus ways of putting words together in illogical ways," Mahoney said.

The protesting cohort distributed pins to willing passers-by with their logo, "Enuf is enuf. Enough is too much."

According to literature distributed by the group, it makes more sense for "fruit" to be spelled as "froot," "slow" should be "slo," and "heifer" — a word spelled correctly during the first oral round of the bee Thursday by Texas competitor Ramesh Ghanta — should be "hefer."

WTF? on the bolded part.

Atlanta Public Schools used to use a program that was similar to this, called the "Writing to Read Lab". The idea was that kids would learn to spell and write better if they first learned the phonetic spellings of words.

I remember getting my first bad grade ever because I insisted that "engine" was spelled "engine" and not "injin". Not kidding at all.

They disbanded that program shortly after exposing me and my classmates to that retardation.

That is the most moronic thing I have ever heard. They need to be forced to leave the country. Yes they have the right to their own opinions but don't protest our language you idiots. When I was in school I learned how to spell quite easily... but I also read a lot, and I think that reading can certainly help your spelling - at least it did for me.

Another thing that made me cringe: "... it makes more sense for "fruit" to be spelled "froot". No you idiot, that doesn't make more sense at all. Spelling it like that makes it look more like the word "foot", which is obviously pronounced differently than "fruit". Obviously you never learned to spell so now you criticize the English language because it is too hard for you.

Atlanta Public Schools used to use a program that was similar to this, called the "Writing to Read Lab". The idea was that kids would learn to spell and write better if they first learned the phonetic spellings of words.

I remember getting my first bad grade ever because I insisted that "engine" was spelled "engine" and not "injin". Not kidding at all.

They disbanded that program shortly after exposing me and my classmates to that retardation.

That is because it is spelled injun.....dumba$$

LOL, j/k about the dumba$$ part

This is an absolute outrage and insult to those of us who insist on diversity and inclusiveness. Our language is the way it is because of the influences of the many languages that it incorporates. Which influences should we eliminate, the Spanish, French, German, etc.

This is an absolute outrage and insult to those of us who insist on diversity and inclusiveness. Our language is the way it is because of the influences of the many languages that it incorporates. Which influences should we eliminate, the Spanish, French, German, etc.

I wouldn't mind eliminating ATM's asking me which language I want. :P