Selig wont overturn blown call

Unknøwn

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig didn’t change the incorrect call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game, but he did vow to consider the expanded use of instant replay after a series of umpiring controversies in recent weeks.

Galarraga lost his bid with two out in the ninth inning of Wednesday night's game against the Cleveland Indians, when umpire Jim Joyce ruled that Jason Donald had reached base safely on a ground ball to the right side. Joyce subsequently admitted that he was wrong.

Selig didn’t explicitly rule out the possibility that he would reverse the call. But it seemed that Thursday would have been the time to make such a decision. A future change seems unlikely. One MLB source said there is "no chance" that Selig will change his mind in the future.

So, to fans in Detroit, it was a 28-out perfect game.

In the record books, for now, it is a one-hit shutout.

“As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night’s game should have ended differently,” Selig said in a statement. “While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball, it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed.

“Given last night’s call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features.”

Selig added that he will consult with the players’ and umpires’ unions before announcing “any decisions.” He will also meet with baseball’s Special Committee for On-Field Matters — of which Tigers manager Jim Leyland is a member.

When asked earlier Thursday if he would like for Selig to award him with a perfect game after the fact, Galarraga replied, “I’d love it.”

"The more important thing is, for my heart, I knew I threw a perfect game,” the right-hander said.

Joyce didn’t offer an opinion earlier Thursday when asked about the possibility of Selig reversing his call. But such a decision might have eased the umpire’s conscience. Joyce was inconsolable on Wednesday night in the aftermath of his mistake, and he became emotional on several occasions Thursday.

“I took a perfect game away from that kid over there,” he said Wednesday.

By the time Joyce arrived at Comerica Park on Thursday morning, some fan reaction had turned hostile. (However, Sports by Brooks reports that it might be a lot more than just hostility.)

Joyce indicated in a brief interview with reporters that his family had been targeted. MLB officials wouldn’t confirm whether any specific threats of harm had been made.

“I wish my family was out of this,” Joyce said, still teary-eyed some 12 hours later. “I wish they would just direct it all to me.

“My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. But they don’t deserve this. I’ll take it. I’ll take it. I’ll take whatever you can give me. I’ll handle it like a man. And I’ll do the best I can.”

Joyce didn’t specify what “it” was, but he said, “It’s a big problem.”

But Galarraga and the Tigers bear no grudge. Galarraga forgave Joyce immediately, and Leyland expressed hope that Detroit fans would applaud the umpiring crew on Thursday.

The umpires didn’t get an ovation, but the afternoon crowd was civil.

Selig’s statement praised the Tigers for their “dignity and class,” saying the organization’s conduct was “admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order.” Galarraga was honored Thursday in a pregame ceremony in which Chevrolet presented him with a cherry red Corvette convertible.

Galarraga, who began the season in the minor leagues, has handled his newfound notoriety as gracefully as he did Wednesday’s disappointment. He didn’t call for the expansion of instant replay when he met with a large group of reporters on Thursday.

The Late Show with David Letterman has already requested an interview, one source said, but it’s unclear if the team’s schedule will permit Galarraga to accept the offer. He slept only two hours on Wednesday night.

“My dad said something that really (calmed me) down,” the 28-year-old said. “He said, ‘Son, I’m proud of you. I know you threw a perfect game. Keep the ball. Make sure to keep the CD.’”

Joyce is behind the plate for Thursday afternoon’s game between the Tigers and Indians. He needed an extra moment or two to compose himself before entering the field via the tunnel behind home plate at 1 p.m. ET.

Fans close to the tunnel applauded as the crew took the field. The cheers continued as Galarraga, bearing the lineup card, shook hands with Joyce.

But when Joyce’s name was announced over the public address system, some boos were heard.

Earlier, Galarraga said he hoped Detroit fans will forgive Joyce.

“I say many times: Nobody’s perfect,” Galarraga said. “Everybody makes a mistake. I’m sure he don’t want to make that call. You see that guy last night, he feels really bad. He don’t even change. The other umpires shower, eat. He was sitting in the seat (and saying), ‘I’m so sorry.'"

Bud Selig has now cemented himself as the worst commissioner in the history of baseball. This dude has overseen a strike, the steroids era, a tie in the All-Star game, and terrible changes to whom gets HFA in the WS. Now this? Bud, do us all a favor, and get the **** out of here.

I think it's best that Selig not get involved. I mean this clown could **** up a cup of coffee. Just look what he decided to do after we had a tie in a meaningless exhibition game. He gave us the dumbest rule in the history of American professional sports.

Selig's pattern is simple. He doesn't act until he's absolutely forced to, and then it's usually in the form of a poorly planned knee-jerk reaction to in an attempt to soothe the public outrage. I'm sure that this will eventually result in a tedious, overly complicated replay system that will be universally hated.

I'm for a replay system in baseball. I just don't trust Selig to write the policy.

Despite my rage over the call on the field, you can't overturn it a day later. What are you going to do, call it a 28-out perfect game?

Could you imagine Galarraga sitting in the clubhouse today, and his phone rings and ole Bud is sitting on the other line?

"Hey G-man, buddy, guess whaaaaat? We're gonna give you the perfect game. I know that the moment is gone, and you couldn't celebrate with your teammates on the field and have champagne poured on you in the clubhouse and listen to the stadium chant your name, but you got a perfect game now baby!"

If Bud Selig overturned the call, it would have been the second worst thing in baseball only to the actual call.

If he over turn this after they watch video showing that is was a blown call then he would also have to strip Halliday of his. Video showed 2 k's on 3-2 counts that were outside the strike zone. They human error has always been the ultimate wildcard in baseball and it happened.

If he over turn this after they watch video showing that is was a blown call then he would also have to strip Halliday of his. Video showed 2 k's on 3-2 counts that were outside the strike zone. They human error has always been the ultimate wildcard in baseball and it happened.

Dude, equating the strike zone which acceptably differs at times to a black and white call is not the same thing at all.

He had to set a precedence. If they start changing games, then where do we stop? There's so many blown calls. He did the right thing, but it definitely will help in getting instant replay expanded in MLB. He's not going to be in the record books, but everyone knows he did it and he'll be more popular because of it.

It was a blown call that I think the Joyce and all parties involved handled with absolute class. Gallaraga even said that Joyce didn't need to say any words, he could see how sorry he felt. He also said he's going to keep a video of the game to show his kids the only 28 out perfect game in history.

The Tigers showed some real class in this whole thing, and Joyce showed guts going back out there and getting behind the dish tonight.

I listened to an interview with him after the game. He said that he didn't feel back into it until about the 5th inning. He mentioned how baseball has the greatest fans. Out of his last 24 hours, calling the game behind the plate was the best 3.

It was a horrendous call that should make it very debatable for the installation of instant replay. Managers could have two or thee challeges a game and it not effect the length of a game very much at all.

I realize I'm in the minority by saying this...

but........

The record books should remain the same. The main reason is that we have never gone back and changed records for anyone. There have been hundreds of 1 hitters thrown in the majors that could also be scrutinized. There have been hitting streaks kept alive by a home score keeper's judgement. There have been games, divisions, and pennants won and loss on an umpire's appraisal of play. There have been only 20 perfect games thrown in baseball. All of those pithers had to overcome the elements of the game to reach that pinnacle and one of those obstacles is the umpires.

Yes, this instance would be an easy fix, but how do you change one game and one game only in the entire 109 year history of baseball?

Dude, equating the strike zone which acceptably differs at times to a black and white call is not the same thing at all.

1 they were clearly out of the zone by replay.

2 they are split second judgement calls which does make them the same thing.

1 they were clearly out of the zone by replay.

2 they are split second judgement calls which does make them the same thing.

No they are not.

Anyone who honestly feels that that kid should not have a perfect game awarded to him is just as much as a weasel as Bud Selig. I won't even entertain that precedent talk because it is garbage. I hate that people are too much of whiny ******* to do what is right because of technicalities.

This pitcher has to be the martyr for changes to the game and he shouldn't have to be.

I first I was kinda pissed it wasn't overturned then I thought about it and realized that Galarraga is going to be more famous probably than anyone else that has thrown a perfect game for being "The guy who pitched the perfect game that wasn't".

No they are not.

Anyone who honestly feels that that kid should not have a perfect game awarded to him is just as much as a weasel as Bud Selig. I won't even entertain that precedent talk because it is garbage. I hate that people are too much of whiny ******* to do what is right because of technicalities.

This pitcher has to be the martyr for changes to the game and he shouldn't have to be.

:lol: reading this just made me laugh...grow up life is not fair. He got screwed out of it and it is just life. The ump apologised, and admitted it was a mistake, but you can not just go back and reverse it. If that happened a pandora's box would be opened and it would happen after a ton of games. That can not happen. I gave you one simple example of a very previous case where several complained that calls were missed and video showed it. You can scream weasel, ***** all you want. Fact is a call was made and that is how the game is played. If it was in reverse and he was called out when he was safe would you be screaming as loud to take it away from him I doubt it.

name calling....I actually thought you were better than that too.

I don't get this "Pandora's box" approach that many people seem to be saying. This is a unique situation in that it was the last out of the game, and the outcome of the game wouldn't change.

It is not equal to a bad call mid-game, as there is no way to know what would happen from then on out. In this case, it is 100% guaranteed what would have happened. Game over.

I don't get this "Pandora's box" approach that many people seem to be saying. This is a unique situation in that it was the last out of the game, and the outcome of the game wouldn't change.

It is not equal to a bad call mid-game, as there is no way to know what would happen from then on out. In this case, it is 100% guaranteed what would have happened. Game over.

This. It's not like the guy gave up a run or anything after the blown call, or even gave up a hit afterward. He literally got the very next guy out. This is a special situation that has do to with the history of baseball and a special moment for this kid that he could never relive. If you were in his shoes, as classy as Galarraga has been, would you rather be able to tell your kids that you threw a perfect game or that you got screwed out of one? By keeping this call around, all it does it place even more of an onus on umpires to be unequivocally perfect (not that they shouldn't be, but added pressure can lead to more mistakes). The only way this could become a pandora's box is if people like us make it that way.

I agree that the "Pandora's Box" arguement is not a good one. Correcting a wrong now doesn't mean that it's not fair to anyone else, past and future, that gets screwed by a bad call. It's just about correcting one wrong.

That said, I simply just don't like game outcomes determined by the commissioner's office rather than the players and officials on the field. It was a mistake. It's not the first, it won't be the last. If instant replay was available, the correct call would have been made. There's the object lesson to take out of this.

If the commissioner had decided the other way? Well, that would have been OK too. But I think in this one case, Selig made the right call.

Hopefully it won't take as long to get instant replay as it took to get steroid testing.

I agree that the "Pandora's Box" arguement is not a good one. Correcting a wrong now doesn't mean that it's not fair to anyone else, past and future, that gets screwed by a bad call. It's just about correcting one wrong.

That said, I simply just don't like game outcomes determined by the commissioner's office rather than the players and officials on the field. It was a mistake. It's not the first, it won't be the last. If instant replay was available, the correct call would have been made. There's the object lesson to take out of this.

If the commissioner had decided the other way? Well, that would have been OK too. But I think in this one case, Selig made the right call.

Hopefully it won't take as long to get instant replay as it took to get steroid testing.

I totally agree with this. I really didn't care one way or the other about it, I just don't like poorly thought out arguments.

Except that the games outcome will not be altered. Either he faced 27 batters and got them all out, and got the win, or he faced 28 batters, the 27th got a hit, but he still got the win.

The ONLY thing that will change if Selig would change this call is that the kid would be recognized for a perfect game, which he should be, and the batter would have one less hit on the season. That's it. It doesn't effect ANYONE else, other than the 2 players. Detroit still won. So Selig not changing it simply a ***** move.

And they wonder why baseball has fallen from 'America's Pastime'

:lol: reading this just made me laugh...grow up life is not fair. He got screwed out of it and it is just life. The ump apologised, and admitted it was a mistake, but you can not just go back and reverse it. If that happened a pandora's box would be opened and it would happen after a ton of games. That can not happen. I gave you one simple example of a very previous case where several complained that calls were missed and video showed it. You can scream weasel, ***** all you want. Fact is a call was made and that is how the game is played. If it was in reverse and he was called out when he was safe would you be screaming as loud to take it away from him I doubt it.

name calling....I actually thought you were better than that too.

.....life isn't fair so why bother correcting something that everyone agrees and knows was wrong and we have the power to correct. Good thinking. Maybe if we find a cure for cancer we just won't use it because life just gave someone cancer and that is their bad luck. Go pound sand with you pandora's box arguement too because this is a call that should have been reversed and Selig should have reversed it and if teams started wanting to have things overturned after that then maybe Bud Selig could put in some work at being the commisioner and address those complaints, but the reality is that complaints would not start coming in constantly....because they don't now, but historic calls....yeah maybe there should be a standard in the sport that historic calls should be right.

You thought I was better than that and you were wrong.

I thought you were smarter than this and I was wrong.

Lets call it a day.

Except that the games outcome will not be altered. Either he faced 27 batters and got them all out, and got the win, or he faced 28 batters, the 27th got a hit, but he still got the win.

The ONLY thing that will change if Selig would change this call is that the kid would be recognized for a perfect game, which he should be, and the batter would have one less hit on the season. That's it. It doesn't effect ANYONE else, other than the 2 players. Detroit still won. So Selig not changing it simply a ***** move.

And they wonder why baseball has fallen from 'America's Pastime'

actually it would be 3 guys because the 28 th guy would have an AB and a out removed from his record. We now have to fix that as well.

You thought I was better than that and you were wrong.

I thought you were smarter than this and I was wrong.

Lets call it a day.

so I cant compare 2 perfect games and complained about calls but you can compare a perfect game and a cure for cancer ( which my mother is battling right now ). your right you were not the poster I thought you were. As far as my intelligence I would be glad to put my baseball IQ up against yours anyday, but this is a forum of opinions so everyone is aloud to have one even if it differs. I believe the kid got screwed but that is life. **** happens sometimes and it even happens to good people. I actually think the way he has handled himself since has said more and will be remembered more than if the call was changed. Funny thing is I would not have disagreed if the call was changed, but I agree that it should not be. You can not say the same obviously.