Falcons and Explosive Plays

OTAs: Falcons focusing on making more big plays

2:21 pm June 3, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Burner-Ice-Man.jpg 100509 Flowery Branch - Atlanta Falcons running back # 33 Michael Turner confers with qaurterback # 2 Matt Ryan. (Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com)

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons went through their organized team activities in just over two hours on Thursday at Flowery Branch.

“We are a little further than halfway through,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “We’ve got seven more to complete over the next two weeks. I think the guys are continuing to work hard. Their attitudes have been great.”

Smith addressed the questions that some of you submitted:

EXPLOSIVE PLAYS: One of the teams’ focus in OTAs’ is cut down the number of explosive plays on defense and increase the number on offense. (An explosive play is 20-yard gain).

“We gave up way too many explosive plays,” Smith said. “Any time you give up one on defense, you’re going to give up points. It’s going to be a field goal on that drive or a touchdown. Offensively, we want to be more explosive so that we can turn the field position around and go in a score.”

roddy-white-flip1-249x300.jpg Roddy White is working on the team's expanding no-huddle operation.

INTRASQUAD SCRIMMAGES WITH NEW ENGLAND AND JACKSONVILLE: “They are really not intrasquad scrimmages. They are going to be combined practices. When I say combined practices, we are going to go through our normal practice schedule. The only difference will be we’ll have two skull (sessions) going at one time and two 9-on-7s and two team (sessions). So there will be two fields where we are working against each other. It will be the same sequencing of practice that we normally do, but instead of going against guys wearing black helmets, there will be a different color jersey that we are not accustomed to seeing out here in Flowery Branch.”

(DIDN’T GET THE KICKING GAME QUESTIONS IN. We can handle that one next week.)

Some highlights from this week’s open OTA session:

• Wide receiver Roddy White said the Falcons were working on expanding their no-huddle attack.
  • Linebacker Stephen Nicholas had a nice pass breakup in coverage.
  • Wide receiver Tony Strickland put a nice move on cornerback Brent Grimes to get open.
  • Right tackle Tyson Clabo and defensive end Kroy Biermann got tangled up in a little pushing and shoving match.
  • Quarterback Matt Ryan was particularly sharp in the passing game.
  • Defensive end John Abraham and tight end Tony Gonzalez were the only players not in attendance.
  • Defensive end Chauncey Davis (knee), defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux (shoulder) and wide receiver Kerry Meier (hamstring) returned to organized team activities. Defensive tackle Peria Jerry (knee), wide receiver Harry Douglas and cornerback Brian Williams (knee) did not practice and continued their rehabilitation.

My favorite thing? "Working on expanding their no-huddle attack." LOVE hearing that. We're deadly with that attack.

When the caption doesn't quite match the photo or does it? So by no huddle they mean only Roddy will be on the field or at least the only one levitating upside down. :lol:

Roddy White is working on the team's expanding no-huddle operation

They're just demonstrating how those no-huddle drives are likely to conclude. ^_^ :P

They're just demonstrating how those no-huddle drives are likely to conclude. ^_^ :P

I like that too, but I also like the fact, that notice, because of TD's ties and Smittys ties, We're practicing with two good teams in their own ways especially New England. If Brady comes, Good for Ryan to watch. :)

Edited by nativefalcon

Something that should really help our explosive plays is getting Harry Douglas back on the field. His speed is something we missed from the passing game last season. Roddy is fast but he was our only down field option on long passing plays. Getting Douglas back in the slot changes that considerably. (Even though I believe it will effect our running game even more)

Something that should really help our explosive plays is getting Harry Douglas back on the field. His speed is something we missed from the passing game last season. Roddy is fast but he was our only down field option on long passing plays. Getting Douglas back in the slot changes that considerably. (Even though I believe it will effect our running game even more)

Douglas isn't a deep threat; he is really a YAC machine He is the guy who catches a hitch, slant, or quick out and turns it into a 20+ yard gain. Think Wes Welker, literally.

Dang, that's the second time in two years The Beerman got in a scuffle in practice. Last year he gave Dahl that beauty mark on his forehead. I guess when you get a defensive player who plays to the end of the whistle going against an offensive player who does the same something has to give.

Kinda like The Centrifugal Force meets The Unmovable Object.

OTAs: Falcons focusing on making more big plays

2:21 pm June 3, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Burner-Ice-Man.jpg 100509 Flowery Branch - Atlanta Falcons running back # 33 Michael Turner confers with qaurterback # 2 Matt Ryan. (Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com)

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons went through their organized team activities in just over two hours on Thursday at Flowery Branch.

“We are a little further than halfway through,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “We’ve got seven more to complete over the next two weeks. I think the guys are continuing to work hard. Their attitudes have been great.”

Smith addressed the questions that some of you submitted:

EXPLOSIVE PLAYS: One of the teams’ focus in OTAs’ is cut down the number of explosive plays on defense and increase the number on offense. (An explosive play is 20-yard gain).

“We gave up way too many explosive plays,” Smith said. “Any time you give up one on defense, you’re going to give up points. It’s going to be a field goal on that drive or a touchdown. Offensively, we want to be more explosive so that we can turn the field position around and go in a score.”

roddy-white-flip1-249x300.jpg Roddy White is working on the team's expanding no-huddle operation.

INTRASQUAD SCRIMMAGES WITH NEW ENGLAND AND JACKSONVILLE: “They are really not intrasquad scrimmages. They are going to be combined practices. When I say combined practices, we are going to go through our normal practice schedule. The only difference will be we’ll have two skull (sessions) going at one time and two 9-on-7s and two team (sessions). So there will be two fields where we are working against each other. It will be the same sequencing of practice that we normally do, but instead of going against guys wearing black helmets, there will be a different color jersey that we are not accustomed to seeing out here in Flowery Branch.”

(DIDN’T GET THE KICKING GAME QUESTIONS IN. We can handle that one next week.)

Some highlights from this week’s open OTA session:

• Wide receiver Roddy White said the Falcons were working on expanding their no-huddle attack.
  • Linebacker Stephen Nicholas had a nice pass breakup in coverage.
  • Wide receiver Tony Strickland put a nice move on cornerback Brent Grimes to get open.
  • Right tackle Tyson Clabo and defensive end Kroy Biermann got tangled up in a little pushing and shoving match.
  • Quarterback Matt Ryan was particularly sharp in the passing game.
  • Defensive end John Abraham and tight end Tony Gonzalez were the only players not in attendance.
  • Defensive end Chauncey Davis (knee), defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux (shoulder) and wide receiver Kerry Meier (hamstring) returned to organized team activities. Defensive tackle Peria Jerry (knee), wide receiver Harry Douglas and cornerback Brian Williams (knee) did not practice and continued their rehabilitation.

My favorite thing? "Working on expanding their no-huddle attack." LOVE hearing that. We're deadly with that attack.

Yeah I like the no huddle aswell I thought when we went to the hurry up we were more effective and also it stops the other team from changing up there defence and stops them from subbing in players so I like that there going with alot of No huddle myself aswell.

When the caption doesn't quite match the photo or does it? So by no huddle they mean only Roddy will be on the field or at least the only one levitating upside down. :lol:

Roddy White is working on the team's expanding no-huddle operation

Roddy's working on that Olga Korbut landing when scoring during the no-huddle operation. No more flags for butt landings!

I need some YouTube help on the Olga reference. I'm guessing she stuck her landing in a most unusual manner. :D

I think Tandy is quoting our dear Smitty, who told Roddy he needed to do an Olga-type landing (in essence, a perfect 10 landing, both feet firmly on the ground) after the San Fran incident. It was an amusing interview. :P

Edited by BCEaGleATLFaLcOn