Jim Joyce's Bad Call

For those who don't follow baseball, here is the story:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20100603/BBA.Joyce_s.Call/

DETROIT — Armando Galarraga bitterly sipped a beer minutes after he almost pitched a perfect game, lashing out at first base umpire Jim Joyce for blowing a call on what would have been the final out to negate his place in baseball history.

Jim Joyce: `I just cost that kid a perfect game'

The thing I don't get is WHEN he makes this call. If it's earlier in the game, then it is what it is. But to put the cap on a perfect game, no one is going to question the Ump if he calls the runner out, even if he's wrong. I think even the Indians wouldn't have objected, under the circumstances.

Now, if the runner was clearly safe and Joyce calls him safe, then so be it. But to negate a perfect game on a bang - bang play? It was close enough to go either way. Really sad for Galaragga.

Don't follow baseball but you would have to be in space to miss this story.

Well, everybody is human. This is one that will haunt everyone involved for the rest of their lives.

But at least the guy was man enough to come to him and apologize and admit his mistake.

May not make anyone feel better deep inside, but it is refreshing.

Well, everybody is human. This is one that will haunt everyone involved for the rest of their lives.

But at least the guy was man enough to come to him and apologize and admit his mistake.

Good points. Even so, I still don't want to see instant replay in baseball. The games last 3 hours as is, not including extra inning games. If they employ IR like it is in football, you're looking at some really long baseball games.

It takes a real man to apologize the way he did. I do think MLB should rule this one as a perfect game since the out did happen and ultimately it did not alter the outcome of the game. To make it a perfect game wouldn't hurt anyone in the standings, the batter knew he was out and reacted as if he was out after he passed first base, the only thing it would do would be to correctly add Galarraga to the list of pitchers who pitched a perfect game. If they're going to allow admitted cheaters to keep HR records the least they could do is allow a pitcher to correctly earn his perfect game.

Good points. Even so, I still don't want to see instant replay in baseball. The games last 3 hours as is, not including extra inning games. If they employ IR like it is in football, you're looking at some really long baseball games.

I completely disagree. There's already plenty of time between every play to verify 99% of the calls. We already see replays like 2 seconds after something happens. Only the closest plays would stop action. A call like last night would be overturned in a nanosecond. Just have an official in the booth watching with his word being the final decision.

Leave out balls and strikes and do it like college football. Easy as can be.

It takes a real man to apologize the way he did. I do think MLB should rule this one as a perfect game since the out did happen and ultimately it did not alter the outcome of the game. To make it a perfect game wouldn't hurt anyone in the standings, the batter knew he was out and reacted as if he was out after he passed first base, the only thing it would do would be to correctly add Galarraga to the list of pitchers who pitched a perfect game. If they're going to allow admitted cheaters to keep HR records the least they could do is allow a pitcher to correctly earn his perfect game.

Yep. This seems like an easy fix. Especially considering the magnitude of the accomplishment.

Also if you want to cut down on time, have a pitch clock and a batters clock. If the batter isn't in the batters box in X amount of time it's a strike. If the pitcher hasn't pitched a ball in X amount of time it's an automatic ball.

I completely disagree. There's already plenty of time between every play to verify 99% of the calls. We already see replays like 2 seconds after something happens. Only the closest plays would stop action. A call like last night would be overturned in a nanosecond. Just have an official in the booth watching with his word being the final decision.

Leave out balls and strikes and do it like college football. Easy as can be.

Okay, well....as long as you completely disagree.......:P

For the most part, I agree here. 99% may be generous. But on some plays that I have seen recently, one involving a tag out at second, and one a disputed batter hit by pitch (brushed his uniform), the camera angles they showed on TV were inconclusive. Each angle told a different story. So, on occasion, it could be a belabored process to get the call right.

For the most part, I agree here. 99% may be generous. But on some plays that I have seen recently, one involving a tag out at second, and one a disputed batter hit by pitch (brushed his uniform), the camera angles they showed on TV were inconclusive. Each angle told a different story. So, on occasion, it could be a belabored process to get the call right.

Not if a time limit is set and the camera angles are set to a certain limit. An inconclusive call after X seconds/minutes and there's no overruling of the call made on the field.

Just like football though, it would have to be overwhelming video evidence to overturn a call. If it's apparent it's not obvious, then just move on.

Honestly, baseball umpires are really, really good. It's just that when they make a bad call, it's really really bad and usually affects the outcome of the game. Just seems with our technology today, it'd be easy and quick to determine that most plays don't need overturning.

Just like football though, it would have to be overwhelming video evidence to overturn a call. If it's apparent it's not obvious, then just move on.

Honestly, baseball umpires are really, really good. It's just that when they make a bad call, it's really really bad and usually affects the outcome of the game. Just seems with our technology today, it'd be easy and quick to determine that most plays don't need overturning.

For some reason MLB seems to be anti-technology, and it's quickly showing in their popularity. It's great that baseball has traditional roots but if it doesn't keep up consistently with technology it will slowly lose popularity as each generation comes along.

This is one of those VERY RARE instances in which something can actually be done about this mistake. It would have been the final out of the game, so MLB should just step up and overturn the call and give the kid his perfect game. I give kudos to the ump for owning up to it and apologizing to the player and the manager face to face. And I was impressed with the pitchers reaction to the umpire's apology.

But MLB can fix this one, since it was the last out of the game anyway. Give the kid his perfect game.

Much respect to everyone involved for the way it was handled after the call. Joyce for immediately owning up publicly as well as privately to Galarraga and the Tigers team. And real props to Galarraga for the way he handled the situation both on the field after the call and after the game was over. Don't think I would have handled it nearly as well.

Much respect to everyone involved for the way it was handled after the call. Joyce for immediately owning up publicly as well as privately to Galarraga and the Tigers team. And real props to Galarraga for the way he handled the situation both on the field after the call and after the game was over. Don't think I would have handled it nearly as well.

He played it very cool and then went ahead and finished the game. The respect he showed is truly why I believe he deserves the perfect game honor, if he had acted like a jerk this wouldn't even be a story in my mind.

This is one of those VERY RARE instances in which something can actually be done about this mistake. It would have been the final out of the game, so MLB should just step up and overturn the call and give the kid his perfect game. I give kudos to the ump for owning up to it and apologizing to the player and the manager face to face. And I was impressed with the pitchers reaction to the umpire's apology.

But MLB can fix this one, since it was the last out of the game anyway. Give the kid his perfect game.

Well, apparently they are at least considering doing that - which is refreshingly good news!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/540636.html

It baffles me that someone could watch a kid get robbed of a perfect game and STILL not want instant replay.

Dumbest ******* thing I've ever heard in my life.

It baffles me that someone could watch a kid get robbed of a perfect game and STILL not want instant replay.

Dumbest ******* thing I've ever heard in my life.

Like I've read other places today, this is just one of those rare cases that replay would be 100% correct and the call based on the replay wouldn't create controversy. I agree that baseball should have more replay but there is merit to saying that it would slow the game down.

Selig ruled that he won't change the call. Can I just say, Bud Selig is the worst thing to happen in major league baseball history. That's right, he's worse than Pete Rose, than PED scandals, than the 1919 Whitesox.

**** you, Bud.

Like I've read other places today, this is just one of those rare cases that replay would be 100% correct and the call based on the replay wouldn't create controversy. I agree that baseball should have more replay but there is merit to saying that it would slow the game down.

Yeah, a 30 second break to look at a replay and make the correct call is going to slow the game down so much more than a manager storming out of the dugout to rub noses with the umpire for 2 minutes at a time :rolleyes:

Baseball fans are the dumbest fans in all of sports. Even if it DID slow the game down, which it's 100% factual that it would not, who gives a ****? You'd rather the game be over 60 seconds sooner than have the CORRECT call on the field?

Baseball is 50 years behind football and basketball when it comes to their fans having any semblance of an ability to accept change.

If Selig really lets this stand as a 1-hitter, he should me merc'd. Ridiculous. I mean, the kid got the perfect game. There is no question about that. He got 27 batters out without a walk or a hit. It just so happens that the 27th batter was INCORRECTLY called safe. Selig needs to GTFO.