Opinionated internet posters

Rambler

First off, I am as opinionated as the next guy here so I am talking to people like me too. I have learned quite a bit about the dangers of posting strong comments on the internet since taking a civil service job. All new employees in our sector have to obtain a security clearance as part of our condition for employment. We also receive many classes on the do`s and donts that can affect your ability to get or maintain your clearance and the internet has become a player in this area. If you post opinions on the internet whether it be through Facebook, Myspace, or message boards, be prepared to have those comments used as part of your profile. Anyone who posts strong anti-American comments is considered a security risk and is non-suitable for employment.

And it gets better. Corporations are getting into the act and can find out anything you ever posted if they are willing to pay for the research. Julian my man, you might have a big problem. Not only might you never be considered for work for the government or any of its million contractors should you chose to apply, but major corportions you apply for might read alot of the things you have posted here and decide your not worth employing. Some here might hold their collective breaths till their blue in the face about the injustice of it, but the internet can and will be used against you in the future.

First off, I am as opinionated as the next guy here so I am talking to people like me too. I have learned quite a bit about the dangers of posting strong comments on the internet since taking a civil service job. All new employees in our sector have to obtain a security clearance as part of our condition for employment. We also receive many classes on the do`s and donts that can affect your ability to get or maintain your clearance and the internet has become a player in this area. If you post opinions on the internet whether it be through Facebook, Myspace, or message boards, be prepared to have those comments used as part of your profile. Anyone who posts strong anti-American comments is considered a security risk and is non-suitable for employment.

And it gets better. Corporations are getting into the act and can find out anything you ever posted if they are willing to pay for the research. Julian my man, you might have a big problem. Not only might you never be considered for work for the government or any of its million contractors should you chose to apply, but major corportions you apply for might read alot of the things you have posted here and decide your not worth employing. Some here might hold their collective breaths till their blue in the face about the injustice of it, but the internet can and will be used against you in the future.

As a person who works in a government job and has a security clearance, I have to say that this is very true.

I've warned a few people on here before, especially around President Bush's last few months in office and right before President Obama was elected, that they need to watch what they say on the internet.

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean that you always should. Use some tact. The Net isn't as anonymous as you may think that it is and there are repercussions to everything.

As a person who works in a government job and has a security clearance, I have to say that this is very true.

I've warned a few people on here before, especially around President Bush's last few months in office and right before President Obama was elected, that they need to watch what they say on the internet.

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean that you always should. Use some tact. The Net isn't as anonymous as you may think that it is and there are repercussions to everything.

I try to tell my Facebook friends this (well some of them) all the time. Some have called out our company by name, or complained about their jobs. And if I'm not mistaken, all it takes is a friend-of-a-friend to comment on something for the other friend to see it. Plus, I don't trust that site's privacy controls.

Which is why you won't find my name anywhere on the internet. My emails don't have my name attached and I don't use social networking sites for anything other than just keeping up with friends/family, not for sharing my views on things.

When I was looking for a job a few months ago, one of the companies I applied at told me that I didn't get the job because I used very foul language in a status update on my Facebook page. When I asked them how they knew it was my Facebook, since only friends can see my pictures, they said that you can enter an email address into the Facebook search bar and find profiles that way. My Facebook was linked to the same email address I used on my resume.

When I was looking for a job a few months ago, one of the companies I applied at told me that I didn't get the job because I used very foul language in a status update on my Facebook page. When I asked them how they knew it was my Facebook, since only friends can see my pictures, they said that you can enter an email address into the Facebook search bar and find profiles that way. My Facebook was linked to the same email address I used on my resume.

Note to self: Setup a new yahoo email account just for resumes.

Something else to think about. Homeland Security is a HUGE agency with what seems unlimited resources. Their intelligence is second to none worldwide and after 911, they were granted unprecidented power. They have software that searches the internet for trigger words, or words that appear together in sentences. When they get a "hit" that message can easily be tracked by to the author. You could easily end up in a file you dont want to be in my making some off the cuff remark about something you thought to be harmless at the time. Add a few more remarks and you might get a folder with your name on it. It all might seem harmless until you apply for a government job and your name pops up on a search.

The internet has provided the Government and Business with another tool to get to know you personally, and we all are often too willing to aid them with our desire to put our opinions out for others to see. We want people to know how we feel and what we are thinking in a forum that many times is no holds barred. This is perfect for those who want to get inside your head because we will say things sometimes we wouldnt dare say person to person.

What better way to build a psychological profile of someone than to go back and read 2000 of their opinions on subjects ranging to love, politics, work, social issues. Even an amateur could build a profile on most here.

What the government worries about is if they can figure you out by what you post, so could an adversary. What better way to find someone willing to sell sensitive material than to see someone in that position posting on the internet about money and love problems, or someone with an axe to grind against their country? Anyone who has a kid in school needs to educate them now about what can happen by sharing too much information on the internet. It could cost them bigtime down the road.

The thing is it is against the law to use it against you thats why we have the freedom of speech. The way we chat it up with our friends doesnt reflect how I act at work. I hope someone tells me hey didnt hire me because my facebook status. I would sue the pimples off their forehead. I have something if they are watching now....

After visiting Spain and living there for 3 years I hate the way some americans act. It like so many people think they are so high and mighty off materialistic things that its almost as people frown down on the middle class and thats if we even have a middle class in the next couple of years.

I spent 5 years in the military and I still have my top secret clearance and eeing so many things helped me open my eyes on how corrupt this country really is and how stubborn a lot of us really are. We are so quick to sterotype and rate people off of bull that we never really give anyone the chance to change if they had a troubled past. Its sickening how some blame all their failures on everything but themselves.

I am happy to be American and I love this country but as a people we need to change we are years behind other countries in even the basic things as growing the **** up. I remember going to interviews where Im considered overqualified but they hire a high school drop out. Ive had jobs where My boss was a high school drop out and I have a freakin BA for christ sakes and he had no idea what he was doing I had to do his job for him and when I ask for a promotion over his job I dont get it but he does.

......oh let me stop just venting its just I have so much to say about things....

The thing is it is against the law to use it against you thats why we have the freedom of speech. The way we chat it up with our friends doesnt reflect how I act at work. I hope someone tells me hey didnt hire me because my facebook status. I would sue the pimples off their forehead. I have something if they are watching now....

If I made it well known on my facebook page that I hated jews and wanted to see them wiped off the face of the earth and I applied for a job at a Jewish retirement home, would the retirement home be within their rights not to hire me based on thise comments?

What if I had made comments about my hatred for the pharmaceutical industry in this country and how I wished they were "nationalized". Would a pharmaceutical company be within their rights not to hire me based on these comments?

Dont get carried away with your "freedom of speech". Others have freedoms they can exercise against you too.

If I made it well known on my facebook page that I hated jews and wanted to see them wiped off the face of the earth and I applied for a job at a Jewish retirement home, would the retirement home be within their rights not to hire me based on thise comments?

What if I had made comments about my hatred for the pharmaceutical industry in this country and how I wished they were "nationalized". Would a pharmaceutical company be within their rights not to hire me based on these comments?

Dont get carried away with your "freedom of speech". Others have freedoms they can exercise against you too.

The thing is by law they cant use that against them. Do I agree with the law all the time **** no but we have to abide by them is what everyone tells me.

I can say I hate white people on facebook and they think Im racist but in reality I would have probably joking with my ex wife who is white. You never know what really is going on you know....

After visiting Spain and living there for 3 years I hate the way some americans act. It like so many people think they are so high and mighty off materialistic things that its almost as people frown down on the middle class and thats if we even have a middle class in the next couple of years.

I spent 5 years in the military and I still have my top secret clearance and eeing so many things helped me open my eyes on how corrupt this country really is and how stubborn a lot of us really are. We are so quick to sterotype and rate people off of bull that we never really give anyone the chance to change if they had a troubled past. Its sickening how some blame all their failures on everything but themselves.

I am happy to be American and I love this country but as a people we need to change we are years behind other countries in even the basic things as growing the **** up. I remember going to interviews where Im considered overqualified but they hire a high school drop out. Ive had jobs where My boss was a high school drop out and I have a freakin BA for christ sakes and he had no idea what he was doing I had to do his job for him and when I ask for a promotion over his job I dont get it but he does.

......oh let me stop just venting its just I have so much to say about things....

Hmmm, where were you stationed and what was your MOS?

Cause you stated you were 21.

Hmmm, where were you stationed and what was your MOS?

Cause you stated you were 21.

never once said i was 21 I was in the Navy I was a AT Im 27 will be 28 this year I was stationed as NAS North Island then NAS Rota Spain until the whole command was moved to Whidbey Island, WA My command was VQ-2 I worked on Aviation Electronic systems on P-3 aircraft. Anymore questions?

never once said i was 21 I was in the Navy I was a AT Im 27 will be 28 this year I was stationed as NAS North Island then NAS Rota Spain until the whole command was moved to Whidbey Island, WA My command was VQ-2 I worked on Aviation Electronic systems on P-3 aircraft. Anymore questions?

I was Security at Whidbey 2002-2005. My best friend is an AME2 at VP1.

When I was looking for a job a few months ago, one of the companies I applied at told me that I didn't get the job because I used very foul language in a status update on my Facebook page.

By foul language, do they mean you saying how you went "Ben Roethlisberger" on that passed out chick once?