UGA Cornerback Vance Cuff runs a 4.24 40

Des-pool

Just ask Bryan Evans...

Now now, Evans was just being polite. He was so fast, he wanted to make it fair to the receiver and gave them a head start. How else could you explain the receiver always being 5 yds down field ahead of him? :lol:

Now now, Evans was just being polite. He was so fast, he wanted to make it fair to the receiver and gave them a head start. How else could you explain the receiver always being 5 yds down field ahead of him? :lol:

I :lol: in front of the whole office on that!

Exactly!

Can't blame Evans completely. He was working with Willie ;) . Vance Cuff did not do much either in that time frame. I would lay a bet Evans would have had a much better career under Lakatos.

Edited by Dawgy

Does anything bad happen that's NOT Willie's fault?

Especially given that he was a pretty good defensive backs coach ;) Yeah he didn't adjust well but no excuse for a man 20 yards in front of you getting five yards behind you when he was your responsibility.

I think there's a small chance that he isn't somehow responsible for the busted pipe in the Gulf. Of course, it's hard to say for sure, given his close relationship with blown and busted ANYTHING at UGA.

Guys-- it was not just Brian Evans.. it was everyone. Remember how far Boykin was from the GT receiver on that last pass. Remember the UT game- Prince Millier etc were all out of position. It's easy to jump on a player. Vance Cuff did not do jack in his first 3 years. BE was probably not the most talented DB. but coaching makes a huge difference, as you are hearing from the practice reports.

And yes-- there was a Willie M. sighting near the Gulf of Mexico right before the leak. He did move to OK recently :P.

Edited by Dawgy

Guys-- it was not just Brian Evans.. it was everyone. Remember how far Boykin was from the GT receiver on that last pass. Remember the UT game- Prince Millier etc were all out of position. It's easy to jump on a player. Vance Cuff did not do jack in his first 3 years. BE was probably not the most talented DB. but coaching makes a huge difference, as you are hearing from the practice reports.

And yes-- there was a Willie M. sighting near the Gulf of Mexico right before the leak. He did move to OK recently :P.

You are right, it wasn't Brian Evans. It was Bryan Evans who was always getting beat. :P

Just kidding, and I know it wasn't just Evans. I thought our secondary as a whole was terrible, which inevitably goes back to coaching. For me, it just seemed like every time I saw someone out of place or getting beat, it was him. Which was just frustrating and disappointing, b/c I was so pumped when he signed with us; I thought he was going to be a major stud. Oh well, with the new coaching staff and young guys we have, I'm hoping that style of play is a thing of the past.

I have talked to a number of guys who have watched Cuff's progression and he has been amazing this spring. He has taken to Lakatos teaching and he is really and I mean really going to surprise uga fans. I was very very skeptical and still am some, but after what i heard about his improvement I really think he has a chance to be a guy who steps up and really helps us in the secondary. Regarding Willie yes he was a big problem. I think his DC responsibilities took away from him spending the time he needed with our secondary.

I hope that's true about Cuff. We could definitely use the depth, a senior leader, and another playmaker back there. Especially with new scheme, question marks at ILB, lack of depth at OLB, and a few unknowns on the d-line.

About Willie and the DC versus Secondary problem: What Sac says actually makes sense. As purely a secondary coach Willie did great things at UGA. But his secondaries seemed to suffer after his move to DC. What not sure of is how much that was due to drop-off in talent versus his dedication to coaching the secondary. Either way, something was definitely wrong.

As a Texas fan, I'm not especially excited about having Willie as a pure secondary coach at OU. I'd rather them promote him back to DC! He's a **** good secondary coach.

I have talked to a number of guys who have watched Cuff's progression and he has been amazing this spring. He has taken to Lakatos teaching and he is really and I mean really going to surprise uga fans. I was very very skeptical and still am some, but after what i heard about his improvement I really think he has a chance to be a guy who steps up and really helps us in the secondary. Regarding Willie yes he was a big problem. I think his DC responsibilities took away from him spending the time he needed with our secondary.

As a Texas fan, I'm not especially excited about having Willie as a pure secondary coach at OU. I'd rather them promote him back to DC! He's a **** good secondary coach.

That's funny. I was actually out in Oklahoma a few months ago visiting a client, and when they found out I graduated from UGA, they started complaining about Willie to me, talking about our defense recently, etc... I just told them that while he wasn't quite cut out to be a DC, he was a pretty dang good position coach.

Edited by tjb