OK I'm Convinced You Guys Are Clueless About Coleman

Warning: Long post.

Been watching tapes the last couple weeks. I am now totally convinced that the message boarders, Willy Mo huggers, PFF, media types and possibly even the Falcon coaches are flat out clueless about Coleman.

Let me start by saying the man is not average. Especially at tackling NFL football players. Not at all:

TACKLES AMONGST ALL NFL SAFETIES

2008 - 7th in total tackles, 5th in solo tackles

2009 - 2nd in total tackles, 5th in solo tackles

TACKLES AMONGST ALL ATLANTA FALCON DEFENDERS

2008 - 2nd in total tackles, 1st in solo tackles

2009 - 2nd in total tackles, 2nd in solo tackles

Dude plays both safety positions in BVG's bend but don't break system. How did he fare at FS and SS in the BBDB? Let's see:

BVG'S BBDB SSs

2008 - (LaMilloy) - 93 tackles, 76 solos, 0 sacks, 1 FF, 5 PDs, 1 INT, 0 FR

2009 - (Coleman) - 116 tackles, 82 solos, 0 sacks, 2 FF, 5 PDs, 0 INT, 0 FR

BVG'S BBDB FSs

2008 - (Coleman) - 95 tackles, 80 solos, 0 sacks, 2 FF, 6 PDs, 3 INT, 0 FR

2009 - (TDeCoud) - 68 tackles, 57 solos, 2 sacks, 2 FF, 7 PDs, 3 INT, 1 FR

INTANGIBLES

Leader of the secondary. Calls all the sets. Never missed a Falcon game. Even though he has many years of NFL experience he just turned 28 years old four weeks ago. Never really gives up deep passes. Ever.

COVERAGE SKILLS

Now for the PFF boys out there that might try to say he is rated low because of their bogus coverage score, watch the freakin tapes!!! They gave him 6 TDs in 2009 which brought him down. I just watched all six of em and they are flat out clueless. Trust me.

Two were DeCoud and they got the wrong freakin jersey number. One was lock down coverage where he knocked the ball out and the refs ripped him. One was when he missed a tackle on Lofton's man. One was when he couldn't catch up to Wire's man on a 8 second extended play cause Wire got in his way. Laughable just down right laughable. Coleman got beat on two TDs. MIA and NYG1. Both in goal line situations where he bit on a bad BVG call.

Good luck WillyMo and the WillyMo Nation. If you can sit Coleman down you either are a bad as or you get the Busterson draft pass.

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One was when he missed a tackle on Lofton's man. One was when he couldn't catch up to Wire's man on a 8 second extended play cause Wire got in his way. Laughable just down right laughable. Coleman got beat on two TDs. MIA and NYG1. Both in goal line situations where he bit on a bad BVG call.

Good luck WillyMo and the WillyMo Nation. If you can sit Coleman down you either are a bad as or you get the Busterson draft pass.

Once the receiver got past Lofton and Wire.. doesn't it become Coleman's responsibility? You know... as the safety?

May the best player win. Here's the scenarios of how it might go down IMO.

1.) Coleman outplays Willy Mo (most likely)

2.) Willy Mo outplays Coleman

3.) They are both even. If they are both even, then Willy Mo will start. The reasons why should be easily understood.

4.) Coleman slightly outplays Willy Mo. I think in the event that the difference between their play isn't that much, then Willy Mo will start. He would start for the same reasons as #3.

Of course this is discussing the beginning of the season. Anything can happen as the season goes.

Clearly the coaches want Willy Mo to start and it makes plenty of sense for them to want him to. He also has all the opportunity in the world to do so as well, but I don't see the coaches giving it to him. I don't see why you would call them clueless either. I see them as always looking for an opportunity to get better and TD always says this in his interviews.

Edited by ATLbound

I don't usually agree with you FFS, but in this I have to agree wholeheartedly. Coleman has been really good for us, and the idea that a rookie(yeah, he played some, but this is basically his rookie year) to come in and unseat a veteran leader on our team, while coming off injury is foolish. Willy MO might do it, but he would have to be Superman to do so. He will play in some situations to get experience and will probably take over next year IF he looks to progress and develop like he COULD. Coleman will have position this year, unless he just tanks, highly doubtful. If Willy MO can do it, then that is good for our team, but to expect it is drinking the cool-aid.

Once the receiver got past Lofton and Wire.. doesn't it become Coleman's responsibility? You know... as the safety?

Watch the dam tapes bro.

On the Lofton play Lofton didn't get the right drop and Coleman came off his man in the middle of the field and made a Keith Brooking type over run play. There was another defender that missed after that. Still this is one of the two I give to Coleman cause he looked like Brooking overrunning a play. Didn't have a dam thing to do with coverage though. Even the announcers roasted Lofton.

The Wire play was an 8-10 second extended play where the QB scrambled right and hit Wire's man. Coleman tried his damdest to get there but Wire got in his way. That's a Coy Wire play if not a sorry as pass rush play.

Coleman was a great run stopper, but we need a SS that can be a playmaker against the pass and run. We have gotten our money out of Coleman. It's not like he was some all star when he left the Jets, so I didn't expect him to be one here. Coleman has given us two good years, and probably has half a year left in him until Moore comes around.

Granted, there are a contingent of fans that always feel a guy on a bench who never played is better than the guy on the field. That being said, most people aren't just giving the job to Will Mo. He has a size of a LB with DB speed. He's explosive, hits hard, and has great ball skills. While Coleman may be a solid safety, Willy Mo may have the potential to be an impact safety. I think that's what people are excited about - the potential. I don't have any problem with Coleman & DeCoud are starters in 2010. Coleman has the experience to where he won't make as many mistakes as DeCoud or Moore. There is a something to be said about experience over raw talent. No matter what combination of safeties Atlanta trots out this year they will be solid.

Only available Willy Mo tapes are from his College days -

The best guy will win the job...

I like Erik Colman at FS... I think as a SS he was average (solid).. That leaves room for William Moore to win the job...If he can be a playmaker at the SS position... That would be huge.

But yea.. The job will not be given the Moore... Dude has to win it.

Granted, there are a contingent of fans that always feel a guy on a bench who never played is better than the guy on the field. That being said, most people aren't just giving the job to Will Mo. He has a size of a LB with DB speed. He's explosive, hits hard, and has great ball skills. While Coleman may be a solid safety, Willy Mo may have the potential to be an impact safety. I think that's what people are excited about - the potential. I don't have any problem with Coleman & DeCoud are starters in 2010. Coleman has the experience to where he won't make as many mistakes as DeCoud or Moore. There is a something to be said about experience over raw talent. No matter what combination of safeties Atlanta trots out this year they will be solid. Only available Willy Mo tapes are from his College days -

Please no NCAA tapes.

Most of the WillyMo Nation is comprised of Madden boys, NCAA fans and combine freaks that get hyped over size and speed.

I get hyped over NFL plays. Coleman is making em. Check the last three 2009 games when the defense was in shut down mode.

I would truly love for WillyMo to knock Coleman out of the box but he better step up even more than DeCoud did to take his spot. Good luck WillyMo. RISE UP!!!!!!!

Warning: Long post.

Been watching tapes the last couple weeks. I am now totally convinced that the message boarders, Willy Mo huggers, PFF, media types and possibly even the Falcon coaches are flat out clueless about Coleman.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide the Falcons coaches access to your "tapes." I mean, why should they be limited to just a warehouse of raw game film analyzed daily in their state-of-the-art film room?

Plus, that game film doesn't include those incredibly clever Coors Light coaches press conference commercials like your tapes do.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide the Falcons coaches access to your "tapes." I mean, why should they be limited to just a warehouse of raw game film analyzed daily in their state-of-the-art film room?

Plus, that game film doesn't include those incredibly clever Coors Light coaches press conference commercials like your tapes do.

LMAO.... that was funny

To be fair, you think we're clueless about everything...

Not everybody. Just a hand full.

I don't think you're clueless but I have heard a hit dog will holler. You hollerin?

Many are not watching the tapes. I'm watching them multiple times, usually in frame mode.

If I get some time I will try to find some internet tapes that prove my case. No promises though.

Two were DeCoud and they got the wrong freakin jersey number. One was lock down coverage where he knocked the ball out and the refs ripped him. One was when he missed a tackle on Lofton's man. One was when he couldn't catch up to Wire's man on a 8 second extended play cause Wire got in his way. Laughable just down right laughable. Coleman got beat on two TDs. MIA and NYG1. Both in goal line situations where he bit on a bad BVG call.

Actually the 59 yard TD by Austin in the Dallas game was on Coleman. The Falcons were playing deep thirds and Coleman didn't get deep enough.

Overall, I kind of agree with you. Coleman is a good player, and William Moore is going to have to take the job from him by doing something good.

Edited by Peyton

I definatly agree. Before last season Coleman was easily our best DB and maybe our MVP after abe of the previous season. Milloy leaves, Moore gets injured and so Decoud had to start. Decoud is not suited to SS and is a pure FS and so our best DB being versataile played SS. Decoud played lights out with coleman playing well and suddenly everyone wants willy mo.

When we drafted willymo i was as happy as anyone. I love how he played in college but at this moment and for the last 2 years ive been loving how coleman has been consistent.

I remember the days of chris crocker never having the range to get over when houston got burnt etc, coleman it seemed always made the tackle when our cb's messed up

I like Coleman a lot. He got beat simply due to our poor CB play from Houston and Grimes. Give him Robinson and Williams/Owens and he'll go back to his 2008 form.

Moore hopefully might be a bigger playmaker, but as it stands he can't stay healthy and that's a big reason I can't believe some want to just cut or trade Coleman.

Guest Gritz

Anytime any player on the Falcons agrees to play a position that isn't their natural position I am inclined to look the other way a bit if they aren't booking a trip to the Probowl after that given season.

Coleman was solid last year, if not spectacular. He was nowhere near the liability that some on here like to make out he was. I have even seen some threads that proclaim he won't even make the team.....Uhm, unless he's knocking boots with his position coach's wife and has the video posted on Youtube...he's making this team....and more than likely will be our starting strong safety when we tee it up against the Squealers.

A lot of posters (myself included) are very intrigued by the possibilities that a healthy and motivated Moore presents. If the William Moore Mizzou Tiger from 2007 is who we're going to get this year then I suspect he may be our starting SS before the season is over with. But he hasn't done anything yet. It's all just potential right now.

If Moore does beat out Coleman that won't be a bad situation either....Coleman for depth?....At both FS and SS? Win-win baby.......

Actually the 59 yard TD by Austin in the Dallas game was on Coleman. The Falcons were playing deep thirds and Coleman didn't get deep enough.

Come on bro, watch it again, that was DeCoud all the way. As a former FS, the number one rule is never let anyone get behind you. PFF didn't even give that one to Coleman.

Overall, I kind of agree with you. Coleman is a good player, and William Moore is going to have to take the job from him by doing something good.
I hope the job goes to the best man but I think this regime awards snaps to players based on draft status. I hate it.

That's the one thing I miss the most from the ole school coaches like Reeves, Glanville, Leeman and Van Brocklin. When they said we are gonna play the players that give us the best chance to win, they really meant it. I've seen Claude, Nobis, Jesse, Vick, Jam, Mathis, Chandler, Dunn and many more get benched. Rightfully so.

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

Come on bro, watch it again, that was DeCoud all the way. As a former FS, the number one rule is never let anyone get behind you.

I just disagree. The coverage was deep thirds. Coleman hesitated to get back because Witten stayed into block. Here, watch this piece from Greg Cosell and tell me where you disagree with him.

Anatomy of a Play

I just disagree. The coverage was deep thirds. Coleman hesitated to get back because Witten stayed into block. Here, watch this piece from Greg Cosell and tell me where you disagree with him.

Anatomy of a Play

By the way, it wasn't mentioned on the video, but it was also a very poor play for Lofton, who hesitated on the blitz, then ran into the back of his own guy.

Come on bro, watch it again, that was DeCoud all the way. As a former FS, the number one rule is never let anyone get behind you. PFF didn't even give that one to Coleman.

I hope the job goes to the best man but I think this regime awards snaps to players based on draft status. I hate it.

That's the one thing I miss the most from the ole school coaches like Reeves, Glanville, Leeman and Van Brocklin. When they said we are gonna play the players that give us the best chance to win, they really meant it. I've seen Claude, Nobis, Jesse, Vick, Jam, Mathis, Chandler, Dunn and many more get benched. Rightfully so.

Speaking of the Dallas game--burned a copy yet? :D

LMAO...................... :lol: Hey wait I love those commercials,especially the Jim Mora Sr edit omg.