My 1st rd choices for 2011

We all know that TD likes smart players with good character. I think OT will be our 1st pick. I like these 2 guys.

Matt Reynolds

Offensive Line

6-6, 329, Jr.

Provo, UT / Timpview HS

At BYU

SOPHOMORE - (2009): Named to the All-MWC first team ... College Football News All-Sophomore Team First Team .. earned letterman honors as a sophomore ... Academic All-MWC ... started all 13 games on the season, at left tackle ... played for an offensive unit that led the conference and ranked No. 17 nationally in passing per game (281.46) and No. 21 in total offense (427.15) ... part of a unit that averaged only 1.77 sacks per game ... vital part of an offensive line that helped BYU lead the nation with a 55.62 third-down conversion percentage on the season.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=3036

Anthony Castonzo

2009 Season

Started every game at left tackle for the second-straight year and has started every game since arriving on campus in 2007 (41 games)...SI.com All-America honorable mention...All-ACC first-team selection and named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic District 1 first team...BC ranked 39th in the country in sacks allowed (1.54)...blocked for RB Montel Harris who had the fourth-most carries in the country (308) and the 10th-most rushing yards (1,457)...the line helped Harris record eight 100-yard games...recipient of The Anne and Gerald B. Healy Scholarship for Academic Excellence...one of the team's top performers in the classroom, he hopes someday to conduct cancer research...recipient of the Anne and Gerald B. Healy Scholarship for Academics.

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/castonzo_anthony01.html

As a wild card candidate I will throw in CB Aaron Williams. He is probably a top 20 pick tho and won't be there.

Third-year defensive back who has appeared in 26 games, including 14 starts, at cornerback and on special teams ... posted 60 tackles (34 solo), two sacks, seven TFL, three pressures, four INTs, 11 PBU, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and four blocked punts for his career ... started 13 games at cornerback in 2009, missing the UCF game with an injury ... compiled 44 tackles (25 solo), two sacks, six TFL, three pressures, three INTs, eight PBU and two forced fumbles ... appeared in all 13 games, starting one, at cornerback and on special teams as a true freshman in 2008 ... recorded 16 tackles, three PBU, a pressure, a TFL, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble, four blocked punts (T-No. 1 on UT's single season list) and returned an INT 81 yards for a TD ... tied for second on the team with nine special-teams tackles ... a prep All-American and all-state selection who saw action on both sides of the ball ... named a Parade All-American ... also tabbed second-team All-USA by USA Today and a second-team EA Sports All-American ... played in the 2008 U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... blocked 12 kicks as prepster.

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_aaron00.html

Williams makes plays as you can see. He is just a good all around CB. With him and Dunta on the wings and pressure up front, it would be very hard on opposing QB's.

I think that I am disagreeing with you here, but agreeing with you from another post, but if I had to choose two possible OT's that we might take late in the first, it would be Pinkston and Castonzo.

TD only drafts juniors in very special cases. I would think that OT is a position where he would especially value experience and maturity.

I think that I am disagreeing with you here, but agreeing with you from another post, but if I had to choose two possible OT's that we might take late in the first, it would be Pinkston and Castonzo.

TD only drafts juniors in very special cases. I would think that OT is a position where he would especially value experience and maturity.

Bingo. Lofton was an exception that proves the rule in 2008, and he hasn't targeted them early or often since then either.

I don't think OT is going to be as serious of a need as we are making it out to be. I think we will have the luxury of going BPA with our first draft selection this year, and I think this may be the year TD slides down from a late 1st into the early 2nd round to pick up an additional pick like the Patriots always seem to do. That's just my own opinion though.

I wanted Pinkston too, but if you saw his Twitter then you would know why.

I think Johnson takes over for Blalock, Clabo will not get re-signed but Dahl will. And I think we draft one of

these OT. I think G. Reynolds is just depth. Our line should look like this.

LT Sam Baker

LG Mike Johnson

C Joe Hawley

RG Harvey Dahl

RT Matt Reynolds/Anthony Castonzo

I think Johnson takes over for Blalock, Clabo will not get re-signed but Dahl will. And I think we draft one of

these OT. I think G. Reynolds is just depth. Our line should look like this.

LT Sam Baker

LG Mike Johnson

C Joe Hawley

RG Harvey Dahl

RT Matt Reynolds/Anthony Castonzo

FYI it's Garrett Reynolds. I really shouldn't be talking since I accidentally called Dominique Franks "Dominique Foxworth" a few weeks ago, but I just thought I'd let you know.

And I am not sure what I think of Reynolds. He is a former Tar Heel so I would love to see him start for us as long as he is capable of doing so. When we drafted him I thought his ceiling was more or less a quality back-up and maybe a spot starter, and he got drafted in the range where that would make sense. But sometimes guys like him prove to develop better with NFL coaching than you might have expected (though TD probably could have guessed it) so I am not ready to write him off as a potential starter. Clabo has another year with us and he is a solid starting RT to me, but not much more. Reynolds could very well be capable of replicating that level of production from the RT spot which would mean Clabo would be allowed to leave, which you suggest. That wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me, however, if we were comfortable enough with Reynolds starting that we let Clabo leave and then drafted a 1st round pick to eventually replace him. Putting our faith in him to start by letting Clabo go and then replacing him with our 1st round pick doesn't seem like something TD would do. I think Reynolds will get a year as the starter if we let Clabo leave and allow Reynolds to move into the starting line-up. That's jmo though.

FYI it's Garrett Reynolds. I really shouldn't be talking since I accidentally called Dominique Franks "Dominique Foxworth" a few weeks ago, but I just thought I'd let you know.

And I am not sure what I think of Reynolds. He is a former Tar Heel so I would love to see him start for us as long as he is capable of doing so. When we drafted him I thought his ceiling was more or less a quality back-up and maybe a spot starter, and he got drafted in the range where that would make sense. But sometimes guys like him prove to develop better with NFL coaching than you might have expected (though TD probably could have guessed it) so I am not ready to write him off as a potential starter. Clabo has another year with us and he is a solid starting RT to me, but not much more. Reynolds could very well be capable of replicating that level of production from the RT spot which would mean Clabo would be allowed to leave, which you suggest. That wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me, however, if we were comfortable enough with Reynolds starting that we let Clabo leave and then drafted a 1st round pick to eventually replace him. Putting our faith in him to start by letting Clabo go and then replacing him with our 1st round pick doesn't seem like something TD would do. I think Reynolds will get a year as the starter if we let Clabo leave and allow Reynolds to move into the starting line-up. That's jmo though.

FYI I know his name is GARRETT Reynolds. But I don't think he is starting material. I'm talking about Matt Reynolds from BYU as the starter. Or either Castonzo if we drafted either one of them. Clabo is out after this

year.

2011 NFL Draft Watch #21: Aaron Williams

Written by NFL Draft Bible Tuesday, 01 June 2010 11:23

The countdown continues and our number twenty-one prospect in college football is...

Cornerback Aaron Williams, Texas (Junior):

The Skinny: NFL defensive coordinators that place as much emphasis on cornerbacks stopping the run as they do playing the pass will love Williams. Standing at 6’1” and 192 pounds, he puts as much pride on his tackling skills as he does his pass defense. What makes him such a fantastic prospect is that for such a young player (true junior in 2010) he has very refined technique—Williams keeps his head up when he tackles and has a smooth, efficient backpedal. Williams has prototypical length and good musculature, but he is still skinny. At 6’1” many NFL types would like to see the Texas product check in at closer to 205 pounds; Williams would be wise to hit the weight room in Austin and add a good 10 to 15 pounds of muscle weight over the next year or two. Considering his size, fluid hips and run-stuffing ability are what many defensive coaches dream of in their cornerbacks, Williams appears headed towards the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, should he declare.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/NFL-Insider-Insider-info/2011-nfl-draft-watch-21-aaron-williams.html

That sounds a lot like Owens, he's just bigger and a 1st rd talent. TD would love a corner like him. 4.4 speed too.

2011 NFL Draft Watch #21: Aaron Williams

Written by NFL Draft Bible Tuesday, 01 June 2010 11:23

The countdown continues and our number twenty-one prospect in college football is...

Cornerback Aaron Williams, Texas (Junior):

The Skinny: NFL defensive coordinators that place as much emphasis on cornerbacks stopping the run as they do playing the pass will love Williams. Standing at 6’1” and 192 pounds, he puts as much pride on his tackling skills as he does his pass defense. What makes him such a fantastic prospect is that for such a young player (true junior in 2010) he has very refined technique—Williams keeps his head up when he tackles and has a smooth, efficient backpedal. Williams has prototypical length and good musculature, but he is still skinny. At 6’1” many NFL types would like to see the Texas product check in at closer to 205 pounds; Williams would be wise to hit the weight room in Austin and add a good 10 to 15 pounds of muscle weight over the next year or two. Considering his size, fluid hips and run-stuffing ability are what many defensive coaches dream of in their cornerbacks, Williams appears headed towards the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, should he declare.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/NFL-Insider-Insider-info/2011-nfl-draft-watch-21-aaron-williams.html

That sounds a lot like Owens, he's just bigger and a 1st rd talent. TD would love a corner like him. 4.4 speed too.

If we draft on a biggest needs basis do we really need another CB in the first round? When will we allow the young talent currently on the roster to develop?

If we draft on a biggest needs basis do we really need another CB in the first round? When will we allow the young talent currently on the roster to develop?

If you look at every position on the roster we have starters and depth at all of them. Even if we decide to keep Clabo or plug in Reynolds we have a starter there. But right now CB is the only position that we really don't know who is starting. I think this season if we have to keep switching back and forth between CB's b/c their play is so inconsistent, then TD will definitely rectify that with a player like Williams/Amukamara who are probably a top 15-20 pick. Our CB's now are good, but you always hear the word consistency from Smitty. And if that doesn't happen I can see upgrading with a 1st rd pick.

Some ppl will look at DE but I think Kroy has that on lock. I think it's

definitely OT or CB.

Edited by hawkeye

FYI I know his name is GARRETT Reynolds. But I don't think he is starting material. I'm talking about Matt Reynolds from BYU as the starter. Or either Castonzo if we drafted either one of them. Clabo is out after this year.

lol **** it. I made an *** out of myself again. My bad man.

I agree that Clabo is likely gone after this year. Between Reynolds (who I think could be a solid starter, similar to Clabo) and a potential draft pick it doesn't make much sense to keep him around.

I love the look of that OL though. Baker, Johnson, Hawley and Dahl looks very nice to me. I wouldn't mind Garrett at RT there, but if we go OT in round 1 I will be perfectly happy. Just means better OT depth for us if Reynolds is a back-up.

And for what it's worth I liked what I saw from Owens last year. He didn't play great, mind you, but he played well and was fundamentally sound. Plus he supported the run really well. I know a lot of people here like Grimes, but Owens is my guy for the #2 spot opposite Dunta. I've been high on him since before we picked him, he is a good player. A lot of people seem to underrate him on here. For that reason I just don't think a CB is going to be high on our priority list at all.

I think Reynolds is more of a 2nd round pick.

I think there are 4 1st rd OT's. Carimi, Castonzo, Solder, and Reynolds.

Even if we went another position in the 1st, we still could get somebody like

Boling, Zeimba,(problems with penalties tho) Pinkston, Sherrod, or Potter in

the 2nd rd. WR is too big of a bust risk in the 1st. I think the 2 best WR's

in the 1st would be Green or Jones. And they won't last until the mid-late 20's. The others we won't touch b/c of off field issues.(Toliver, Baldwin, and Floyd)

I've even heard some say that Toliver is not even 1st rd b/c he can't beat the

press off the LOS. WR is a huge risk 1st rd.

Edited by hawkeye

Somebody agrees with me on NFLDraftCountDown in their early mock.

24.) Atlanta Falcons - OT Matt Reynolds, BYU

- Atlanta has the skill position players, when healthy, to compete with the elite teams of this league, but could use more strength in the trenches to allow their skill guys to flourish. Quick! Name one of Atlanta's starting o-lineman besides Sam Baker? If you're like me, you probably had to look it up...Reynolds could be good on either side of the line as a pro, and should give them an excellent RT.