Who is more important to the Steelers? Troy or Ben?

Catching a break in Pittsburgh?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather be out playing the Steelers?:

• Bad Boy Ben
    • Big Hair Boy Troy

Troy Palumalu is the best most complete safety I've seen play ever and would be on any team.

Big grope errr..Ben is an above average qb who benefits greatly by playing in Pittsburgh.

Very unusual for there to be a concensus that a defensive player would be more valuable than a probowl qb . . . but I agree.

Ugh... does nobody realize that troy is coming off an injury. I mean, I realize that he's a great safety but the injury should contain him to just average when we play them. I personally think that playing the steelers week 1 is the biggest gift of the schedule

I said Troy P but that is not meant to downplay their loss of Ben. They can't run the ball like they used to. They were #9 in passing last season and #19 in rushing. Losing Ben hurts them pretty bad, but I'm interested to see how well Leftwich will do with all of this time to prepare.

Pittsburgh has good coaches, they will find a way to minimize Leftwich's weaknesses and give us a competitive game 1. I would expect a lot of quick throws off of playaction to buy him some time on that windup and a lot of draws up the middle to keep our ends playing inside rather than around the edges.

He's had a whole off season to recover. Troy is by far the most valuable squeeler. It should be a struggle for both O's to move the ball. I think it's foolish for anyone to be be chalking this up as a guaranteed W.

Yeah, but I find it funny that everyone seems to think that Harry douglas and Peria Jerry will have a hard time coming back from their injuries but Troy will do perfectly. I doubt any player in NFL history has came back from an injured season and played to their full lever the first game back

Yeah, but I find it funny that everyone seems to think that Harry douglas and Peria Jerry will have a hard time coming back from their injuries but Troy will do perfectly. I doubt any player in NFL history has came back from an injured season and played to their full lever the first game back

I (and most) know much more about Troy P's workout ethic and the discipline that he has to stay in shape and on top of his game, than I do HD and PJ. This is not an illogical conclusion to draw.

Let's get this out of the way first: Ben Roethlisberger is a d*ck. That said...

To anyone with eyes, Roethlisberger was clearly the MVP of Superbowl XLIII (Even though they officially gave the award to the player who benefited most from Big Ben's uncanny ability to scramble out of trouble time after time and make plays.) On the other side of the ball, the Palumalu-led Steeler defense couldn't stop Warner and Co. from marching up and down the field at will. The only thing that stopped the Cardinals from winning that Superbowl was Roethlisberger. The same can't be said for Palumalu.

The following season, Roethlisberger's singular skills were even more on display as he - without the help of Palumalu - led a team with no offensive line and no running game to 9 wins on 4,300 yards passing and 26 TDs. Clearly, the loss of Troy P hurt in '09, as the Steelers' D went from being dominant to merely good. But the fact of the matter is that the Steelers don't finish with a winning record last season without Roethlisberger. The same can't be said for Palumalu.

I love Troy P, and think he is one of the most talented safties I have ever seen. He is definitely a difference maker. But he is not the game changer Roethlisberger is. Anyone who would rather face Big Ben over Palumalu needs to stop gulping so ravenoulsy from their "defense wins championships" Kool Aid glass. Ben is significantly more dangerous than Troy. He has proven that time and time again. We really got a gift when he was suspended.

Guest Gritz

Troy scares me a lot more than Roethlisberger does.......

Although I'm sure my opinion would be different if I was a coed trapped in a bathroom.

Polamalu is not as good as Ed Reed, Polamalu has just been more fortunate that his team has won 2 Super Bowls because the Ravens had a lesser offense. That is not going to be the case anymore since the Ravens got Boldin and Stallworth for thier new passing attack.

Either way, week one we are going to destroy Pittsburgh on the road to set the tone for our season. They have no idea what's in store for them. I'm gonna say right now, Falcons 35 Steelers 14

how many times have we seen batch and even leftwich come in and win games for them? polamalu's absence crippled them last year.

Leftwich has never won a game for Pittsburgh. He's never even started a game for Pittsburgh. He appeared late in two games in '08, both of which were blowouts orchestrated by Roethlisberger.

As for Batch, he's been fortunate in that he's never once had to face a good team. Every opponent he's faced as a starter for the Steelers finished their season with 6 wins or less. The Falcons are not that kind of team.

I'll take the Batch/Leftwich/Polumalu combo over Roethlisberger all week and twice on Sunday.

Polamalu. Not only is he a very great safety but the Pittsburgh defense is on another level when he's playing. I feel that the loss of Roethlisberger is a big one but he is the more easily replaceable piece of the puzzle than Polamalu.

Here is the great thing though.......

We get to play against a Troy that is coming off injury and will probably be a step down for first 1/4 season and no Big Ben. So in a way we get the best of both. Pitt is still a good team, and at home they are tough, but I believe the Falcons will show that good isn't enough against the Falcons this year.

We get to play against a Troy that is coming off injury and will probably be a step down for first 1/4 season and no Big Ben. So in a way we get the best of both. Pitt is still a good team, and at home they are tough, but I believe the Falcons will show that good isn't enough against the Falcons this year.

I have to say mcsupersport I definitely agree with you but never underestimate Troy!