Atlanta mayor wants new stadium

Mayor Reed said on 790 that he wants a new stadium as long as it is downtown, near the dome. He said the city would ante up 18 million every year to help Blank build it as long as it stayed downtown, that's what the hotel tax is for. He said the dome could still be used for other events, thus opening the way for an open air stadium. Two questions..where would they put it and where would we park ? Im still think a retractable roof stadium is the answer. Keep in mind, these plans would be for 4 or 5 years down the road.

It isn't critical to me where it is - but I'd prefer it either stay in Atlanta downtown - or get moved slightly South. I drive far enough - so I'm hoping it doesn't go too far North.

That being said - isn't this State talking about cutting school days back to "save" money and they've dropped the limit on number of students in one class from 32 to whatever you can cram in to the room. Isn't this the state that just required that all of the teachers in the state take a 3 day unpaid furlough to save money and that all public schools have to cut their already strained budget by 3 percent?

As much as I would like to see the City of Atlanta keep the Falcons in the city - I believe the funding should not come from the state or local government, which is basically taking it from our children and our educators - and from us.

I'd rather see them get private funding and move further away than public funding and stay put.

I'd like to see it stay downtown. Here in DC they put the stadium out in Maryland with nothing around it, it's awful. Why build an attraction that can bring nearly 100,000 visitors and put it in some suburban area that can't provide anything like restaurants, shopping, or other attractions nearby and take advantage of the revenue all those people bring in? A Downtown stadium, with a successful team, will bring in far more revenue to local businesses than a hotel tax would cost taxpayers.

Edited by paulitik

New Dome downtown brings huge revenue windfalls to the city, so of couse any mayor not asleep would want that for his constituents. The building has a huge price tag, but it is worth it in what it does to the local economy. Why else do you think these things keep getting built?

They can bulldoze a bunch of unoccupied office buildings. Seriously, I am not a huge fan of the Dome, but it serves for now, and I would not really like to see the ticket prices SKYROCKET because of PSLs (which it would).

Your sig makes me smile :)

It isn't critical to me where it is - but I'd prefer it either stay in Atlanta downtown - or get moved slightly South. I drive far enough - so I'm hoping it doesn't go too far North.

That being said - isn't this State talking about cutting school days back to "save" money and they've dropped the limit on number of students in one class from 32 to whatever you can cram in to the room. Isn't this the state that just required that all of the teachers in the state take a 3 day unpaid furlough to save money and that all public schools have to cut their already strained budget by 3 percent?

As much as I would like to see the City of Atlanta keep the Falcons in the city - I believe the funding should not come from the state or local government, which is basically taking it from our children and our educators - and from us.

I'd rather see them get private funding and move further away than public funding and stay put.

very good Tandy....... :unsure:

very good Tandy....... :unsure:

The money would not affect the schools or teachers, etc. The hotel tax was passed specifically for the downtown area, icluding the World Congress Center and the Dome. It cannot be used for anything else. Again, we are talking 4 or 5 years down the road when, hopefully, a new congress will have the economy in better shape.

The money would not affect the schools or teachers, etc. The hotel tax was passed specifically for the downtown area, icluding the World Congress Center and the Dome. It cannot be used for anything else. Again, we are talking 4 or 5 years down the road when, hopefully, a new congress will have the economy in better shape.

You have a point, but I still like Tandy's post. And I don't know why government can't change laws/rules like that to meet greater needs. It's like a struggling family having a vacation fund and no money to buy groceries or pay the light bill, but they can't touch the vacation fund. :wacko:

Priorities.... some are ridiculous....

You have a point, but I still like Tandy's post. And I don't know why government can't change laws/rules like that to meet greater needs. It's like a struggling family having a vacation fund and no money to buy groceries or pay the light bill, but they can't touch the vacation fund. :wacko:

Priorities.... some are ridiculous....

Amen.

Your correct Tandy, but it's even worse in Macon/Bibb and surrounding counties. 12 unpaid days in Jones Co and Bibb. Peach Co. elems. are going only 4 days a week !!! My wife and step-daughter are both teachers in Jones/Bibb

This economy sux !! And it's not getting any better any time soon. I'm getting by on Faith !!

Reed said the city of Atlanta would help out

Traffic is horrible. Parking is horrible. I don't like that I feel rushed to get to my car and out of dodge before the sun goes down because it's a shady area.

I am just wondering have you heard anything happening to Falcons Fans outside the dome. Dont fall victim to the stereotype, I have worked in the Downtown area for 3 years now and aside from an occassional bum asking for some money it aint that bad, maybe it is all in your head - real talk.