Atljbo's super early 2011 Mock Draft

1st round: 6'6 260lbs TE Kyle Rudolph

A complete TE.. All the TE's we have shown interest in are complete TE's (Jermaine Gresham and Brandon Pettigrew ) . We need a impact TE to learn from Tony G... Kyle Rudolph is our guy.

2nd round: 2nd round: 6'4 230lbs LB Michael Morgan

This dude can be an impact SLB in the NFL.... He should be bulked up some by the 2011 comebine... The guy is fast, great blitzer, long arms, and monte kiffins D will help him get even better in coverage... We would have the best LB group in the NFL with Morgan, Spoon, and Lofton.

3rd round: 6'3 210lbs WR Leonard Hankerson

The next big play WR coming out of miami... Dude has 1st round talent but he had a case of the drops early in his college career (so did harry douglas) ... Hankerson would go nicely with Roddy White.

4th round: 6'5 310lbs OT Rob McGill

A all-around good OT

5th round: 6'4 260lbs DE Christian Anthony

A pass rusher with potential.. Since i think Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury will have a good season... I think think this a guy we can develop an eventually work him in the rotation.

6th round: 5'11 210lbs RB Emmanuel Moody

7th round: 6'2 250lbs FB Shaun Chapas

Stash himon the PS... Our future FB.

I don't think we go TE in the 1st. Honestly, after Gonzalez, I kind of expect our Offense to kind of slowly revert back to where it was in Ryan's first year. Basically blocking TEs. I know Peek and Palmer were UDFAs, but I think those are the type guys we are going to be looking for in the future at TE.

Picking a LB in the 2nd would be too smart imo. I just don't really understand why so many people think Nicholas should be replaced. I thought he was our most consistent LB over the course of the year. I also wouldn't want a guy like Morgan who has proved very little.

Props for making a 7 round mock tho bruh. I can't even think about doing that now. lol

1st round: 6'6 260lbs TE Kyle Rudolph

A complete TE.. All the TE's we have shown interest in are complete TE's (Jermaine Gresham and Brandon Pettigrew ) . We need a impact TE to learn from Tony G... Kyle Rudolph is our guy.

2nd round: 2nd round: 6'4 230lbs LB Michael Morgan

This dude can be an impact SLB in the NFL.... He should be bulked up some by the 2011 comebine... The guy is fast, great blitzer, long arms, and monte kiffins D will help him get even better in coverage... We would have the best LB group in the NFL with Morgan, Spoon, and Lofton.

3rd round: 6'3 210lbs WR Leonard Hankerson

The next big play WR coming out of miami... Dude has 1st round talent but he had a case of the drops early in his college career (so did harry douglas) ... Hankerson would go nicely with Roddy White.

4th round: 6'5 310lbs OT Rob McGill

A all-around good OT

5th round: 6'4 260lbs DE Christian Anthony

A pass rusher with potential.. Since i think Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury will have a good season... I think think this a guy we can develop an eventually work him in the rotation.

6th round: 5'11 210lbs RB Emmanuel Moody

7th round: 6'2 250lbs FB Shaun Chapas

Stash himon the PS... Our future FB.

If Rudolph was a SR I would be all for it but TD & MS favor SR in early rounds. Morgan who I have as 220 LBS the whole body of work doesn't do it for me, not to mention his stats maybe down this year with new coach and scheme. Second seems pretty high on a guy you really don't know how good he is? WR in the third hmmm let's see how good our WR are, I think behind CB it might be the deepest and most competitive position on the team. I know it is earlier so I don't want to be "that guy" but those are the question I immediately had. All and all I can see the thought process.

Edited by head busta from augusta

If you guys go back the last 2 drafts... TE has been in our top 4 guys liked in the 1st round.... Even TD said Brandon Pettigrew would have been a guy we targeted if we didn't get Tony G....This year Jermaine Gresham was a guy TD took a hard look at (he was technically a jr) . We just needed Defensive help to bad.

I really think Kyle Rudolph will be a guy TD targets

Also i am thinking we will pick in the late 20's -32...

I disagree... I think Sidbury and Biermann play will determine what way we go in next year.

How so?

Here is my thinking. We already know what ability or lack there of JA98 and Davis have. Outside Abe they are the two most expensive DE we have yet the least productive. Once our DT rotation becomes solidified their value to play both position is diminished.

I have also noticed a patterning with TD draft philosophy, if you notice that in all of our drafts TD never address both of our biggest two needs. 2008 biggest two needs QB and DT drafts Ryan never draft DT in the entire draft. 2009 biggest two needs DT & OLB drafts Jerry never address OLB in draft. 2010 biggest two needs OLB & DE got Spoon no DE. I think you know where I am going.

Just look at the over all talent at each position which has the least amount of competition?

I feel like DE could be a need for us next year too, but if Kroy and Sid emerge as significant contributors I think we will grab another DE in the mid-rounds to develop. Someone with a high motor like Kroy has who can rush the passer while they develop behind a starter like Kroy and Sid have been doing.

Hopefully Kroy takes over the LE spot and does a good job, and hopefully Sidbury shows his stuff when he rotates with Abe. If so, DE won't be a need that requires a 1st rounder imo, but a 3rd or 4th round pick to add some depth to the position. That's just my opinion.

And jbo you brought up an interesting point talking about how we had Pettigrew on our radar and also looked at Gresham, so it seems we aren't content with just having an extension of our offensive line for our TE. I think Gonzo may have opened our eyes to how much a quality pass catching TE can do for an offense and a young QB. I haven't watched Rudolph play but I have heard good things obviously, so it will be interesting to see if we target him.

For what it's worth, I like Lance Kendricks from Wisconsin. I haven't scouted him enough to be really high on him, but he was a playmaker in their offense even behind Garrett Graham last year. They have handed the ball off to this kid on reverses just to get him the ball and he can move for a guy who is 6'4", 235 pounds. I want to see how he blocks, how well he catches with his hands and how he does as the main guy at TE, but right now he is a guy I like for us in the 2nd/3rd round range for sure.

I like the idea of getting a quality SLB in this draft, especially in that range, but I don't know if it will be Morgan. I'm sure a lot of us watched USC a lot last year to get a look at Griffen, Mays, etc. and I just never saw him making many plays. I saw him blitz regularly but I didn't often see him beat his man and create pressure. That is obviously just from memory while I was watching other players though, so I need to see more of him to form a more absolute opinion. Regardless, it's an interesting pick and I think Nicholas could be potentially upgraded.

I like the idea of adding a guy with big play ability at WR. I think we could end up going with one in the 1st round (right now at least, lol) but I like Hankerson. I haven't seen him enough to be high on him and I don't know enough about him to say that he could eventually be a complement to Roddy, but I definitely like the idea. One reason I might rather grab one in the 1st round is because Roddy will be 29 this November and Jenkins will be 28 this June. Jenkins isn't the ideal #2 and in a couple years would be replaceable in my opinion. So if we, theoretically, drafted a guy in the 1st round (Greg Little would be my top choice, I don't think we will go after Michael Floyd since he has something of an attitude even if he is a great WR) that has #1 potential like I think Little might, we could bring him along and develop him with Roddy, Jenkins, HD and probably Meier. He wouldn't be brought along too fast, he wouldn't be rushed to play early, and when he was ready (probably his 2nd or 3rd season like most receivers) he could step in and contribute like Roddy did in his 3rd season and like he has since. But by the time a WR we draft is ready to start and make a significant impact as a #2 or #3 I think Roddy will be getting a little on the old side to worry about tailoring our #2 WR to him. Getting a guy who is good on his own and who could potentially replace Roddy 4-5 years from now would be a better investment in my estimation. Depending on how Little does this year, I think he could be that guy.

Anyways, props for putting a mock together this early. I could probably do it but I don't think I would like it. lol

I am also very high on Greg Little... I had him as our 2nd round pick but changed it.... Dude makes Defenders miss like a Percy Harvey type (also played some RB) but dude is hard to bring down like Anquan Boldin.... He is not a burner but dude gets separation....

I'd really expect the first few picks to be OT, DE, WR. Even if Biermann and Sidbury step up some, we'll be losing Abe, and our other two DEs aren't pass rushers, so we'll need very good talent for the rotation. We'll be losing some of our OL, and a dominant RT who can swing to LT may be the top need. I agree with you that WR and TE are also clear needs.

I'd expect that direction, unless injuries change it.

Our LB corps is solid and has pretty good depth. Safeties solid with good depth. DTs solid with good depth (pending injuries). CBs solid with good depth.

That really only leaves DE on defense, or a very very good player. I'd say DT and SLB would be next on that list, but feel they're very low.

On offense, we need a 2 WR. We need a TE. We'll need an OL player or two, as a couple will leave in FA. We'll likely need RB depth, as Norwood and/or Snelling could be gone.

It seems the draft is really set up to be offensive heavy next year, as we need depth or starters (or future starters) at multiple positions, while the defense is very young.

I'd really expect the first few picks to be OT, DE, WR. Even if Biermann and Sidbury step up some, we'll be losing Abe, and our other two DEs aren't pass rushers, so we'll need very good talent for the rotation. We'll be losing some of our OL, and a dominant RT who can swing to LT may be the top need. I agree with you that WR and TE are also clear needs.

Our LB corps is solid and has pretty good depth. Safeties solid with good depth. DTs solid with good depth (pending injuries). CBs solid with good depth.

That really only leaves DE on defense, or a very very good player. I'd say DT and SLB would be next on that list, but feel they're very low.

On offense, we need a 2 WR. We need a TE. We'll need an OL player or two, as a couple will leave in FA. We'll likely need RB depth, as Norwood and/or Snelling could be gone.

It seems the draft is really set up to be offensive heavy next year, as we need depth or starters (or future starters) at multiple positions, while the defense is very young.

X2

I will stand by the fact that I really don't believe that we will draft a DE in the top 2 rounds next year. We could potentially end up dropping two huge contracts in Abe and Gonzo so we should have plenty of room to make a play for a proven DE.

Every year TD has made some sort of significant splash and with a little extra room opening up, I don't see why he won't do it again next year.

I am with Draft Fan and jbo on Greg Little. I wouldn't use a 1st on him because I think one of the "big 4" would be available. Ultimately, I think he will end up as a 2nd round guy anyway, but I would LOVE to snatch him up. He just plays mean and abuses CBs.

My early prediction is that we go WR and OT with our first two picks. But I would also have to agree with what Draft Fan said in another post. This could be the year that TD decides to move around a little and pick up extra picks.

Edited by hakim24

Thomas Dimitroff, GM, Atlanta: "I think free agency in general throws a lot of things off. When you look at it from a business perspective and you look at our cap, ultimately that's not how we want to personally build. We want to stress the draft. To throw double-digit millions in guaranteed money and a high average-per-year money into a player who is not a part of your system and coming from another situation, that really has me back on my heels a little bit to be honest with you. We would have to do a lot of work when evaluating that. Again, I think there are some fine football players in the draft that you can continue to develop. Ray Hamilton, in my mind, is a top defensive line coach. I think he gets the most out of those guys. Let's let him coach football. Let him coach the young players. That's my position."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/tag/_/name/thomas-dimitroff

I am also very high on Greg Little... I had him as our 2nd round pick but changed it.... Dude makes Defenders miss like a Percy Harvey type (also played some RB) but dude is hard to bring down like Anquan Boldin.... He is not a burner but dude gets separation....

Not to mention he attacks the ball in the air. I love to see that from WR's. They don't just let the ball come to them, but they go up, high point it and bring it down. Little is really good at that. And you are right, he's very physical and he runs hard after the catch. He won't be the best vertical threat in the NFL by any means, but he can get downfield and because of his ability to go up and get the ball in jump ball situations he can make plays downfield.

I would love to get him in the 2nd round.

I agree with a lot of this. I just think that Garrett Reynolds may be a dark horse for the RT position next year. Would I be opposed to grabbing a stud RT in the 1st next year? Absolutely not. If we go in that direction I would be perfectly fine with it because I was very frustrated by our attempts to give Matt quality pass protection last year. I think it had something to do with Blalock, Baker being hurt and the other various injuries we had (like Dahl, etc.). However, Clabo isn't an ideal RT for us, but he is solid. I think we will keep Dahl around before we keep Clabo, even though I love Clabo as OG and RT depth. That likely isn't realistic to keep him here.

My point is, Reynolds has been waiting in the wings for two years now, so if he continues to develop and looks alright in preseason and in any playing time he gets this year he could end up being the guy we pick as the front runner for the RT job. There's no guarantee that happens, but Reynolds isn't a bad player. I don't think he'd be more than a solid starter (hence my openness to drafting an OT high) but I don't think he'd be much better or worse than Clabo. So I think Clabo is probably out this year regardless. The question is whether or not we draft his replacement or use Reynolds.

I agree we could use a nice WR to develop. I think Roddy, Jenkins and HD will be our top 3 for the next two years even if we draft a WR this year. After that... we could have a guy ascending the ranks. Little would be my favorite choice as it stands right now, and if we got him in the 2nd it would be fantastic. Personally I think we will be picking late in round 1, which makes me wonder if we will be able to pick him (however I believe TD will take a page out of the Patriots' book this year and trade down now that we have depth on the defensive side, especially if the draft is deep on offense).

But drafting a WR high, developing him for a year or two and then giving him more playing time in year 3 (similar to what we did with Roddy, what the Vikings did with Sidney Rice, etc.) could pay huge dividends for us. We'd have Roddy, Little, HD, Jenkins and Meier at our disposal. Of course that is a ways off, but that is what I think our plan of attack should be. We can't seek to replace Jenkins immediately, we need to develop our new WR to make sure he becomes an impact player and doesn't get used too early. Plus Jenkins won't be an easy guy to release for a year or two anyways, so we may as well attempt to get our money's worth.

I also like the idea of grabbing a TE in this draft. I don't know much about the majority of the TE class this year, but in the early stages I like what Lance Kendricks brings to the table a whole lot. If we, say, went OT, WR, DE and then TE I would be more than pleased. Kendricks is a quality weapon and made plays even while being the #2 guy behind Garrett Graham last season. I think Gonzo would be a great mentor for him, and I think Kendricks reminds me a bit of JerMichael Finley, the GB TE who I think is on the brink of a breakout season.

I will stand by the fact that I really don't believe that we will draft a DE in the top 2 rounds next year. We could potentially end up dropping two huge contracts in Abe and Gonzo so we should have plenty of room to make a play for a proven DE.

Every year TD has made some sort of significant splash and with a little extra room opening up, I don't see why he won't do it again next year.

I am with Draft Fan and jbo on Greg Little. I wouldn't use a 1st on him because I think one of the "big 4" would be available. Ultimately, I think he will end up as a 2nd round guy anyway, but I would LOVE to snatch him up. He just plays mean and abuses CBs.

My early prediction is that we go WR and OT with our first two picks. But I would also have to agree with what Draft Fan said in another post. This could be the year that TD decides to move around a little and pick up extra picks.

I think that OT and WR are likely picks early, but I won't rule out DE either. I don't know if I am on the 1st round DE boat yet, but it all depends on how Biermann and Sidbury do. I personally think Abe will stay around for one more year after this one, since Sidbury won't be ready for the starting lineup after just one year of consistent PT off the bench. That gives us some time to evaluate our options as far as that goes.

But if we want a quality LE to rotate with Biermann I think Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue would be ideal. He's quick off the ball, has a good motor and is a quality pass rusher. He could learn a lot from Biermann, but he has good size at 6'3", 263 pounds, so he could definitely gain some more weight to help him improve versus the run. Kerrigan just screams "TD player" to me, so I think we could really target him in round 3 if he's around.

And it seems logical to assume that TD will go after another quality FA player, but I am not sold on him doing that just yet. I think we will go after depth/rotational guys in FA this year, not necessarily a quality starter. We could use depth at DE (depending on JA98, Abe and Chauncey obviously), LB, along the OL, RB and maybe TE depending on how our young guys do this year.

We'll see, it's obviously very early to be predicting this stuff. However I am glad that other people on here like Little. I'm a big Tar Heels fan so it is great to see him excelling and getting some NFL Draft love.

**** it. Im gonna go ahead and say it. Kroy will be a breast this year. Im just gonna put myself out on a limb. I know thats probably one of the most homer statements one can make. I dont give a ****. I know I dont have an extremely large amount to base this off of, but it's just a hunch. People are saying he bulked up, we all know he has a helluva motor. I think our DTs will be slightly better this year to free up the ends. I think we all want to see Spoon excel, and if he does he will take away the QB dump offs, giving the ends more time to get in the back field. Quote me, I dont give a ****.

**** it. Im gonna go ahead and say it. Kroy will be a breast this year. Im just gonna put myself out on a limb. I know thats probably one of the most homer statements one can make. I dont give a ****. I know I dont have an extremely large amount to base this off of, but it's just a hunch. People are saying he bulked up, we all know he has a helluva motor. I think our DTs will be slightly better this year to free up the ends. I think we all want to see Spoon excel, and if he does he will take away the QB dump offs, giving the ends more time to get in the back field. Quote me, I dont give a ****.

congratulations, you're like the 756th person to say that.