Vacation philosophy

Rambler

Lets say you have X amount of dollars to spend on vacation(s) a year. You could decide to take that one nice vacation, or 2 decent vacations, or 4 limited mini-vacations. Or you could just go camping, hiking, and other less expensive ventures several times. What do you do? Get out more often or build up expectations for the "big one".

I would have answered this differently when I was a bit younger, but I think the answer for each of us really depends upon how much education, professional success and financial stability we've been able to achieve in our lives up to this point and how lucky we might have become. I have also noticed, coincidentally, that the amount of luck you receive is usually proportional to how hard you work.

There was a time not that many years ago, when I'd say to just drive to the nearest lake to camp out for a couple of days, or drive down to the FL panhandle and enjoy the beach, while spending the minimum dollars possible.

I'm older now, having completed a couple of college degrees, earned assorted professional designations and having been in positions of increasing corporate responsibilities over the years. I retired at a relatively young age (54) and made some fairly good investment/savings decisions over the years, so my response today is this:

While on their death bed, NOBODY ever says "I wish I hadn't gone on that last big vacation".

On the contrary, most people admit to regret for the adventures they didn't take because they were too busy hustling to make a living to smell the roses and enjoy the time with their families. I've watched too many family members and friends experience these regrets and I'm not going to make the same mistake.

This year is our 25Th wedding anniversary and although we've had a history of doing a modest amount of travel each year, we've decided to 'kick it up a notch' and really enjoy some extra travel as our presents to one another. So far we've been to Napa/Sonoma for a week of super food and wine, we stayed at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas for a week, visited some good friends in Louisville, KY, spent 4 days in Savannah, GA, and we just returned from a 3 week vacation in Italy where we visited Rome, Florence, Siena, the Italian Riviera and Venice. Over the next 7 months we'll visit San Diego, Seattle, visit some family in Ohio and Louisiana, and then head back to Europe where we'll visit the UK and probably Italy once again.

Not bad for a kid who grew up in a welfare family from the projects of NY.

I would have answered this differently when I was a bit younger, but I think the answer for each of us really depends upon how much education, professional success and financial stability we've been able to achieve in our lives up to this point and how lucky we might have become. I have also noticed, coincidentally, that the amount of luck you receive is usually proportional to how hard you work.

There was a time not that many years ago, when I'd say to just drive to the nearest lake to camp out for a couple of days, or drive down to the FL panhandle and enjoy the beach, while spending the minimum dollars possible.

I'm older now, having completed a couple of college degrees, earned assorted professional designations and having been in positions of increasing corporate responsibilities over the years. I retired at a relatively young age (54) and made some fairly good investment/savings decisions over the years, so my response today is this:

I`ll put you down for (D), all of the above.

While on their death bed, NOBODY ever says "I wish I hadn't gone on that last big vacation".

On the contrary, most people admit to regret for the adventures they didn't take because they were too busy hustling to make a living to smell the roses and enjoy the time with their families. I've watched too many family members and friends experience these regrets and I'm not going to make the same mistake.

This year is our 25Th wedding anniversary and although we've had a history of doing a modest amount of travel each year, we've decided to 'kick it up a notch' and really enjoy some extra travel as our presents to one another. So far we've been to Napa/Sonoma for a week of super food and wine, we stayed at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas for a week, visited some good friends in Louisville, KY, spent 4 days in Savannah, GA, and we just returned from a 3 week vacation in Italy where we visited Rome, Florence, Siena, the Italian Riviera and Venice. Over the next 7 months we'll visit San Diego, Seattle, visit some family in Ohio and Louisiana, and then head back to Europe where we'll visit the UK and probably Italy once again.

Not bad for a kid who grew up in a welfare family from the projects of NY.

I`m going to put you down for (D), all of the above.

Edited by daroadrambler

I would rather go on one good long one like 7 days like a cruise. I can go on a 7 day cruise, 3-4 days cruises are not worth it, Spend the money take 7 days, because if you take a 3-4 day cruise by the time you learn the layout of the boat, its time to get off. :(

But I like a couple of small vacations too, like going to the beach, the mountains or a event, music, sports, etc.... in in Georgia. ;)