trade options abound

a lot depends on who steps up and where, but there will be many position battles that will determine whether we are looking to trade players of positions of strength for positions of weakness or simply for draft picks.

chevis jackson could be on the block if williams is back. even if jackson shows signs of taking the next step, it may only enhance his trade value.

justin blalock and/or quinn ojinakka could be of interest to former OL coaches if johnson and even valdez step up.

trey lewis, thomas johnson, and jamal anderson could all be fighting for one spot. none may have any trade value or even win the job of keeping jerry's spot warm until he is back to 100%. this is one area we may be looking for other teams to have excess to offer in trade for a CB or OG. it would be great if trey bryant were the surprise of camp and backed up walker until jerry was ready. gaining another pick or two via trade would be another step closer to that patriot model we envisioned when TD took over.

i'm very happy with our team, and while a do see atleast one area of concern, there are enough bodies here now to hopefully see someone step up and fill the void.

a lot depends on who steps up and where, but there will be many position battles that will determine whether we are looking to trade players of positions of strength for positions of weakness or simply for draft picks.

chevis jackson could be on the block if williams is back. even if jackson shows signs of taking the next step, it may only enhance his trade value.

justin blalock and/or quinn ojinakka could be of interest to former OL coaches if johnson and even valdez step up.

trey lewis, thomas johnson, and jamal anderson could all be fighting for one spot. none may have any trade value or even win the job of keeping jerry's spot warm until he is back to 100%. this is one area we may be looking for other teams to have excess to offer in trade for a CB or OG. it would be great if trey bryant were the surprise of camp and backed up walker until jerry was ready. gaining another pick or two via trade would be another step closer to that patriot model we envisioned when TD took over.

i'm very happy with our team, and while a do see atleast one area of concern, there are enough bodies here now to hopefully see someone step up and fill the void.

Any trades in mind? Yes, we do have a few positions that could use an upgrade. It will interesting to see what happens.

There are three possible reasons why a trade involving any of the players listed in the OP is highly unlikely:

1) The players listed are quality players, in which case it would be extremely foolish for the FO to trade away such valuable depth. Especially when the team is poised for a playoff run and the only thing you're gonna get for them are late round draft picks.

or

2) That the players listed are not quality players, in which case they have zero trade value.

or

3) That the players listed are quality players who simply have no place on the team due to the limited number of roster spots, in which case they have zero trade value because every GM in in the league knows that they are just going to get released when cut time comes around.

Any way you look at it, the "trade options abound" premise doesn't really fly.

blalock has probably the most trade value and is ALSO a F/A next year which is why if johnson shines like so many rookie OG's and OC's did last year, he could make blalock expendable. a team like the bears might very much like him. a 4th or 5th rder is all i had in mind, and a 7th rder for chevis would be fine too. he was a 3rd rder like foxworth.

blalock has probably the most trade value and is ALSO a F/A next year which is why if johnson shines like so many rookie OG's and OC's did last year, he could make blalock expendable. a team like the bears might very much like him. a 4th or 5th rder is all i had in mind, and a 7th rder for chevis would be fine too. he was a 3rd rder like foxworth.

A more likely scenario is to keep Blalock and put Johnson on

the other side for the next 4 or 5 years. Dahl and Clabo will

have to re-find their nasty in order to keep their jobs. Johnson

and Reynolds on that right side would look pretty strong. They

would be huge and young and could grow up together with Matt Ryan.

Reynolds has had a year to watch and I don't think Johnson would miss

a beat coming in from Alabama after a stellar career.

So as long as we are engaging in mental exercise think about a

wholesale change of our offensive front...this year.

A more likely scenario is to keep Blalock and put Johnson on

the other side for the next 4 or 5 years. Dahl and Clabo will

have to re-find their nasty in order to keep their jobs. Johnson

and Reynolds on that right side would look pretty strong. They

would be huge and young and could grow up together with Matt Ryan.

Reynolds has had a year to watch and I don't think Johnson would miss

a beat coming in from Alabama after a stellar career.

So as long as we are engaging in mental exercise think about a

wholesale change of our offensive front...this year.

This. If we can get a decent deal on a contract I think Blalock is locked in at LG. Dahl and Clabo were the weak links last year, nastiness only gets you so far before talent and power set in.

So why would they give up a 4th or 5th round pick when they could get him in FA without losing anything?

Chevis Jackson hasn't started one game on the outside. He has absolutely zero trade value.

So why would they give up a 4th or 5th round pick when they could get him in FA without losing anything?

Chevis Jackson hasn't started one game on the outside. He has absolutely zero trade value.

a team with a hole to fill for 2010 could have their eye on blalock for 2011 but unless they trade for him or somebody else, they will have to fill that spot with table scraps this year. he has been a starter.

we will see with chevis. all i was saying with him is that he is entering his 3rd year which is supposed to be the year, and he has been dedicated this off season. he may be very impressive in pre-season. if he is he has trade value. if not then he will likely be cut as long as williams is pushing to start.

all i'm saying is that we have generally been looking at other teams for excess talent to fill our holes, and this year WE potentially have excess talent that others will covet. blalock and jackson and maybe even anderson are all still young and on rookie contracts. they will have trade value unlike a veteran such as brian williams last year and even several high priced vets that have been cut this year. we may only get a 7th rd pick that could escalate into a 6th or 5th, but that is what the patriots do. the saints currently owe them a pick that just escalated up a rd for TE david thomas who had not worked out in NE but was pretty good for the saints. trading a guy to a team where he is likely to flourish when the return is a CONDITIONAL pick is mastery. jackson going to the giants or even steve spanuola's rams may be along those lines.

Chevis won't get us anything. Hill was a 1st round pick with serious speed and we got him for a 6th. Houston was a second rounder with some experience and physical talent and we swapped 6ths.

Chevis will just be cut I think this offseason.

Absolutly andy teams interested in him will simply wait until we cut him.

Chevis for 2 1st rounders from 2 different teams in a 3 way deal.

If you can pull that off I will get you a job application from Mr. Blank personaly.