NCAA looking into Eric Bledsoe

WTA

I guess with all these violations at Oklahoma and UCONN taking the mainstage, the NCAA couldn't let Kentucky go an offseason without bringing them into the spotlight...

Article

Basically alleging another Derrick Rose type situation.

Step 1 - NCAA says everything's A-OK and clears the player to play in college.

Step 2 - Investigate the player's high school academics after he leaves the university.

Seems to me they've got things backwards yet again... We'll see how this all ends up... All I know is it'll bring the "Cal's a cheater" crowd out in full force once again, even though he had absolutely nothing to do with this situation...

So did Bledsoe's coach get the money he was asking for to pay for their rent? Also not surprised at all this is coming out. Should be interesting to see where this goes. It will be even more interesting to see if the ncaa actually deals harshly with other programs who have major violations known..

So WTA if Eric took improper benefits then he was not eligible to play last year correct? What have you heard.

So did Bledsoe's coach get the money he was asking for to pay for their rent?

Way too early to tell at this point... Right now it's just a couple people from Bledsoe's past talking to the New York Times...

As of this moment, 10pm Friday the 28th, the NCAA hasn't even contacted UK about anything yet...

Also not surprised at all this is coming out. Should be interesting to see where this goes. It will be even more interesting to see if the ncaa actually deals harshly with other programs who have major violations known..

I agree, very interested to see how this plays out, and not just because I'm a UK fan... Could turn out to be nothing, could turn out to be "bye-bye 2000 wins."

All I know is Kansas, Oklahoma, and UCONN are probably smiling right now and thanking the NYT for turning the media onto UK... It's gonna be a firestorm... Just watch how many responses this thread gets compared to the UCONN and Oklahoma threads and that'll be analogous to what's gonna happen nationally...

Way too early to tell at this point... Right now it's just a couple people from Bledsoe's past talking to the New York Times...

As of this moment, 10pm Friday the 28th, the NCAA hasn't even contacted UK about anything yet...

I agree, very interested to see how this plays out, and not just because I'm a UK fan... Could turn out to be nothing, could turn out to be "bye-bye 2000 wins."

All I know is Kansas, Oklahoma, and UCONN are probably smiling right now and thanking the NYT for turning the media onto UK... It's gonna be a firestorm... Just watch how many responses this thread gets compared to the UCONN and Oklahoma threads and that'll be analogous to what's gonna happen nationally...

Well on this board I would expect more comments on this thread because none of the teams mentioned are in the SEC even though the other team's issues are much bigger than this. I also think it seems the NCAA is tougher on SEC teams than they are on other conferences. I personally think if what happened at oklahoma, usc, or uconn happened at a kentucky, uga, or alabama we would have seen a quicker jump to penalties. I also think due to calipari's history of issues whether he was involved or not gives this even more juice for the media and that firestorm you mentioned. It's very early and as you said it could be nothing or could cause you guys to lose this past season of wins. I hope it's nothing since I don't want any SEC team having to deal with this junk.

I also have to say this kind of situation stinks for the team, coaches, and fans. If Eric did receive any improper benefits even in high school it would affect his amateur status which means they would most likely forfeit the season's wins.. So no one person knew about this, but yet would still be screwed over (again not saying it's truth or not, but that the situation just would stink for any team out there).

I also have to say this kind of situation stinks for the team, coaches, and fans. If Eric did receive any improper benefits even in high school it would affect his amateur status which means they would most likely forfeit the season's wins.. So no one person knew about this, but yet would still be screwed over (again not saying it's truth or not, but that the situation just would stink for any team out there).

Yep... just depends on how the NCAA wants to handle it...

Either they go the Kansas-Darrell Arthur/Duke-Corey Maggette route and turn their heads, or they go the Memphis-Derrick Rose route and punish the school harshly...

I don't see the NCAA in any kind of middle ground... IMO it's either one side of the spectrum or the other...

Here's UK's official response to the article:

Often high profile student-athletes are selected for an extensive prospective student-athlete (PSA) review. Eric Bledsoe participated in the normal academic review process and also an extensive PSA review by the NCAA Eligibility Center and was cleared academically.

So that takes care of the academic side of it. The rent issue could still pose a problem if there's proof that the Bledsoe family actually took money from the coach. Whether it actually happened is still up for debate.

Frankly, if UK gets punished for that, so be it. Bledsoe and his mother were literally living in their car during parts of his junior year of high school. I will not get upset about a poor family receiving help to stay in their $400 a month apartment.

Good for them. Too bad they're looking the other way when it comes to football though, and particularly USC.

That may change come Friday for USC, as the NCAA is set to release their findings. It will be interesting to see what comes out in both their situation and Kentucky's..

cecil hurt said the media down in bama has been working on this for a number of months now.. they knew about the grade situation and his coach asking for money, but they had to do their due diligence before this got out.. he said he was at an event and guys were talking about this. he had more to say on this, but basically this wasn't something that wasn't known by guys months ago..

cecil hurt said the media down in bama has been working on this for a number of months now.. they knew about the grade situation and his coach asking for money, but they had to do their due diligence before this got out.. he said he was at an event and guys were talking about this. he had more to say on this, but basically this wasn't something that wasn't known by guys months ago..

Yeah, the NYT has been working on this for quite some time as well... Basically the Thamel guy who wrote the story was told to find what he could on Calipari. He dug and dug for about nine months and this is all he came up with. Pat Forde was involved as well. The NCAA did their investigation on this months ago as well, came up with nothing, and there is NO ongoing investigation happening at the moment.

Also, Bledsoe is looking into suing whomever leaked his transcripts to the media. Word is it was an assistant coach of one of the teams recruiting him. The only schools that had the transcripts at the time were UK, Memphis, and Florida. Rick Pitino, Jr. is high on the list of UK fans' possible suspects...

I hope he sues, because if he does, he'll win. People need to be held accountable.