Robinson enjoying 'smooth' transition to Falcons

atljbo

link

Robinson enjoying 'smooth' transition to Falcons

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 9:58 a.m. ET

By Dan Parr

Atlanta recently wrapped up its second round of OTAs and CB Dunta Robinson, who signed with the Falcons on the opening weekend of free agency, said the transition to a new team has been smooth thus far. He admitted to PFW that he still is getting used to playing off the line of scrimmage after playing at the line in Houston.

"I come from a man-press defense where we're always up in the receiver's face," he said. "Here it's a little more off (the line of scrimmage). There's a little bit more backpedaling. Those are the different things. Sometimes my backpedal, since I'm so used to shuffling, will turn into a shuffle instead of staying in my backpedal, but every day I'm coming out and working on that and I'm feeling a lot better."

After six seasons with the Texans, Robinson became one of the league's highest-paid cornerbacks when the Falcons signed him to a six-year contract that reportedly included $25.5 million guaranteed.

It's no surprise that expectations are high for Robinson. Secondary coach Tim Lewis didn't have a bad word to say about Robinson when asked about his star pupil.

"He's very coachable," Lewis told PFW. "… His natural defensive back ability is fantastic. We're thrilled and fortunate to have him. The leadership that he brings is fantastic."

Robinson is the No. 1 corner Atlanta has badly needed, and the media began inquiring as to whether he would shadow the opposition's No. 1 receiver at his introductory press conference. After getting a few months to observe his fellow corners, Robinson said he doesn't expect that to be one of his tasks.

"I think we have good enough corners to the point where we don't need that," he said. "We can lock the right side and the left side down and that makes it a lot of fun. If it calls for it, I'll definitely go shadow whoever they want me to shadow. Right now I'm just trying to be a team player and buy into this system and learn the way they do things around here."

The Falcons are expected to hold a competition in training camp for the starting job at right cornerback, but Robinson said one contender has caught his eye already.

"Actually, Brent Grimes has been very impressive," Robinson said. "He's doing a great job. He's making a lot of plays."

Nice article. And I loved reading that final line. Grimes is a player. So many have him pegged for the nickel spot and that could very well be where he ends up ... but good to see him in the thick of the competition for #2. Last season, he earned his chance to be considered there.

Edited by BCEaGleATLFaLcOn

"I think we have good enough corners to the point where we don't need that," he said. "We can lock the right side and the left side down and that makes it a lot of fun. If it calls for it, I'll definitely go shadow whoever they want me to shadow. Right now I'm just trying to be a team player and buy into this system and learn the way they do things around here."

Locking down both sides would be a wet dream! LOL! I cant wait to see how our defense is going to punish opponents this season. I hope Grimes wins the spot opposite of Robinson.

I think we will mix in some press man to complement his skillset, similar to how chris owens. Owens is a better press corner than off man, which he is not bad at if I must say so..I think Robinson will be a great player for us. I just do not want to hear how we overpaid for him when he gives up a big play....

I am going to go on record, but next year Grimes is going to get paid, probably not buy the Falcons, Grimes has alot at stake this year, he is going to be a Free Agent going into the 2011 season and needs to start and have a productive Season to have any type of nice payday, and he strikes me as a very hungry player.

I think we will mix in some press man to complement his skillset, similar to how chris owens. Owens is a better press corner than off man, which he is not bad at if I must say so..I think Robinson will be a great player for us. I just do not want to hear how we overpaid for him when he gives up a big play....

Although I have been probably the person most critical of the signing, the fact that the Falcons paid a lot won't matter if the Falcons win.

If Robinson gives up plays, it won't matter if the Falcons are winning.

If Robinson gives up a bunch of plays and the Falcons are losing, he is going to get crushed on this board. Message Boarders will turn on you in a hurry.

I am going to go on record, but next year Grimes is going to get paid, probably not buy the Falcons, Grimes has alot at stake this year, he is going to be a Free Agent going into the 2011 season and needs to start and have a productive Season to have any type of nice payday, and he strikes me as a very hungry player.

Hopefully we'll resign him before the season starts. ...otherwise I agree with you, although I think he might not get what you're expecting. He seems to be going unnoticed around the league.

If the guy is playing well this season I think TD will try and lock him up in the middle of the year, so he doesn't get to test the market.

Hopefully we'll resign him before the season starts. ...otherwise I agree with you, although I think he might not get what you're expecting. He seems to be going unnoticed around the league.

I think he will get Foxworth type of Money, maybe not Robinson, but Foxworth year because Foxworth had one decent season and got overpaid from Baltimore, and IMO Grimes play has shown to be better than Foxworth. I think more people notice Grimes than we think, especially after that amazing interception of Drew Brees.

If the guy is playing well this season I think TD will try and lock him up in the middle of the year, so he doesn't get to test the market.

I think that truly depends on the play of the other young players like Franks and especially Owens, if they play well also then I think it will be less likelyhood we resign Grimes and Grimes will probably want to test the market.

I think that truly depends on the play of the other young players like Franks and especially Owens, if they play well also then I think it will be less likelyhood we resign Grimes and Grimes will probably want to test the market.

A lot of teams would have never given Grimes the chance he has had in Atlanta. Mike Smith loves the guy, and I think Brent Grimes loves playing for the Falcons. The guy has less than a full season of starting experience, so I don't know how much of a market for him there is.

I think if he is offered a reasonable deal, he'll take it, just like Chauncey, Jenkins, and Babs did, although I kinda wish a couple of those guys had tested the market.

JMO, but I prefer the press type coverage. I thought that Houston would have been more successful playing the receiver right off the line. Seems like it's that little cushion that kept causing problems. I will defer to the powers that be, but I am a fan of the full press. Just sayin'

A lot of teams would have never given Grimes the chance he has had in Atlanta. Mike Smith loves the guy, and I think Brent Grimes loves playing for the Falcons. The guy has less than a full season of starting experience, so I don't know how much of a market for him there is.

I think if he is offered a reasonable deal, he'll take it, just like Chauncey, Jenkins, and Babs did, although I kinda wish a couple of those guys had tested the market.

Look at what happened with Foxworth, he didnt even start the entire season here in Atlanta, and didnt get alot of playing time in Denver yet he got paid after having a good but overrated season in 08

Hmmmmm.... let me gues His name starts with a J and ends with a S LOL

Hmmmmm.... let me gues His name starts with a J and ends with a S LOL

I'm not sure Chauncey would have been that big of a loss either.

You might be right about Grimes, but I hope your wrong. I love the improvement that guy is showing and the way he plays. Those people who believe that his late season play means nothing because of the QBs he was playing, well, I just disagree.

Man ... IDK.... I can see him getting a Cortland Finnegan type contract.... I mean... Leigh Bodden a #1 CB only got 5.5 a year... Grimes has proven that he is not a #1 CB.... I do think he is a #2 tho.

But yea.. I see what you are saying... If he has another 6 int season.... Thats 12 ints in 2 years.

Man it just feels good to have young talented CB's

Dominique Franks- 22 years old

Brent Grimes- 26 years old

Chevis Jackson- 24 years old

Christopher Owens- 23 years old

Dunta Robinson- 28 years old

Maybe to you...

But even if we are winning, the defense is still struggling, and I'm expecting a much improved defense on all levels this year.

Keep in mind that I already think the guy is an average player, so he'd have to do pretty badly to surprise me in anyway. I just want the team to win. If the Falcons are winning and Dunta is average, I am OK with that.

Just like in every year, the performance of the secondary will depend largely on the pass rush.

Edited by Peyton

Grimes has gotten better every year, He played pretty well at the end of the year. I think if you factor in a new Position coach, Veteran help in Robinson and think Grimes will get even better. I would love him at the nickle position, or at the right corner back spot he played in place of Houston. Grimes only weakness is his tackling right now. He needs to get stronger in upper body.

Edited by bighurt

Just like in every year, the performance of the secondary will depend largely on the pass rush.

IMO, I think they go hand in hand, but to each his own.

And I don't expect Robinson to be a total shutdown corner either, but I do expect to see our opponents' struggle to convert 3rd downs when they face our defense. We gave up too many big plays last year, some on early downs, some on 3rd downs due to the pass...but all I want to see is improvement. B)

The Falcons are expected to hold a competition in training camp for the starting job at right cornerback, but Robinson said one contender has caught his eye already.

"Actually, Brent Grimes has been very impressive," Robinson said. "He's doing a great job. He's making a lot of plays."

Suck on that, Knight of God. B);)

:lol: