What's up with the WR position?

hawkeye

This week we have worked out Brett Hamlin and Jayson Foster. We drafted Meiers and we have 2 players in Brandyn

Harvey and Ryan Wolfe who look like they might stick around at least on the PS. Why are we still working out

WR's? What's really up?

This week we have worked out Brett Hamlin and Jayson Foster. We drafted Meiers and we have 2 players in Brandyn

Harvey and Ryan Wolfe who look like they might stick around at least on the PS. Why are we still working out

WR's? What's really up?

I was wondering that also.... IDK

It might be something just as simple as doing due diligence. There's no real harm trying players out, you might find something special.

It may be that we're looking to upgrade our depth throughout, Finneran and Weems need to be careful.

I really do hope Finneran makes the team though, but if he doesn't, I hope he stays on the staff as a coach for all these young guys.

For the same reason we worked out n+1 draft prospects.... Doing our due diligence, which is actually what the FO is paid to do so I got absolute no problem with it.

Is there really any doubt that White, Jenks, HD, & Meier, at the very least, will make the 53? No. And we're going to certainly keep at least 5 WR's like we did last year, & more than likely 6 if they refuse to release Finn. PLUS, more than anything IMO, we're finding quality backups for if/when someone gets injured. Maybe they didn't do this so well last year & it bit us (ie, Booker??? LOL!). So they might be going the extra mile to ensure that doesn't happen again.

Well, besides due diligence...maybe everyone's love affair with Ryan Wolfe and other UDFA company isnt exactly felt by the coaching staff.

No sweat in working people out if we are looking for something in particular to help this team.

Foster has spec teams potential, and I could see us bringing him to camp if he fields the ball well enough.

The way I see it, we only have 3 guarantees to make the roster with White, Jenkins, and Douglas. We need 2 more (possibly 3 more).

I have always liked Finn, he's a great story and a great team guy, but he is a year older and has slowed down a lot with both of those injuries. He only had 11 catches last season, so I'm pretty sure the coaching staff is hoping a younger guy can step up and fill that role.

Weems is in the same boat in my opinion. He doesn't offer much by way of the receiving game. A 5'9" 184lb target rarely does. He's young and he's good on special teams, which helps his chances to make our roster. He might make it as the 5th or 6th because of his KR/PR/gunner ability.

I am thinking Meier is direct competition for Finneran. He's 6'2" and 224lbs and he's projected as a possession receiver, does not project well as a starter. His strengths are listed as a high-character prospect. Excels reading coverages and converting routes to find the open spaces. Displays good hands, plucks and quickly tucks away. Uses his frame and wide catch radius to make plays in traffic.

I also wonder if we'll be seeing any 5 WR sets this season. I can't imagine we would, because that would mean sitting Tony Gonzalez, and he's our second best receiver.

WR's? What's really up?

sign jayson foster that man is a fasttt he won the walter payton award at georgia southern and he went to my high school and helps out still

1st off it's most likely Finn is through he's time is up, and 2nd Harry might not be ready. So with these probabilities, TD/Smith will not be caught off guard like they did last yr when Harry went down, and as with our secondary late into training camp. For the Falcons to win it all it will take the best players they can get in camp so that they field the best team in 2010.