Who are your top three....

kschreck

Who are the top three guys that you feel have to be successful this year and why?

Ryan - Yes I'm going obvious with this one. It's his third year and I look for him to show the NFL that he truly is the next great NFL QB.

Bierman - It's no secret we need a pash rush. The FO decided not to pick up a starting caliber DE this off-season. It's very important that JA55 returns to old form, also that our DTs stay healthy, but as we all know we need some consistency out of the LDE position.

Nicholas - There are plenty of guys I could have put in my top three, I went with Nicholas for two reasons.

1st - sentimental, after all he's been through I want to see him succeed.

2nd - he's the youngster and Peterson is the old man. It is much better for the future of the franchise if Nicholas can step up and earn the ability to keep his starting spot. I want to see Nicholas and Spoon on the field together, otherwise we'll be looking for another starting LB next year.

Bierrman - He had a good year last year and with some added muscle could turn into an 8-10 sack guy

Blalock - He is already our best run blocker and a stout pass blocker, but a contract year and more experience and he'll be holding the fort with a new contract

Owens - depending on how Williams is handled and his health, Owens will probably finish the season as starting CB with Williams at NB

Matt Ryan - He has to prove he can carry the load when the running game is not working, which he struggled to do last year at times.

Kroy Bierman - The Falcons have to get more pressure on the QB, and consistently.

Dunta Robinson - You spend that much money on a guy to shore up the secondary, it's important that he performs, because he probably isn't coming out of the game regardless. So I hope he plays well.

Edited by Peyton

Bierrman - He had a good year last year and with some added muscle could turn into an 8-10 sack guy

Blalock - He is already our best run blocker and a stout pass blocker, but a contract year and more experience and he'll be holding the fort with a new contract

Owens - depending on how Williams is handled and his health, Owens will probably finish the season as starting CB with Williams at NB

interesting, personally I think Grimes will be ahead of Williams but I definitely want to see Owens start opposite Robinson and only because he's earned it.

Matt Ryan - He already showed us he can lead the team - I just want to see smarter decision from him! - And don't be so fast to run out of the pocket!

Dunta Robinson - OK he's paid now! -So no reason for him to come out and give us a disappointing season! - I think he should succeed this year and give the DB's a boost in the backfield!

John Abraham - He has to have another year like he had in 08 - Because without him the Defense is out of it! - He has to come up big in 10!

The 3 most obvious ones are...

Abraham - If we don't get sacks and pressure from him, we'll struggle on defense all season

Baker - If we don't have protection for Ryan's blindside, our entire offense can fall apart

Ryan - If he's not successful, we all suffer

In reality, we need 22 to be successful this season. But here are some honorable mentions.

Michael Turner

Dunta Robinson

Kroy Biermann

Sean Weatherspoon

Peria Jerry

1. Michael Turner - if he doesn't show up and perform as he did in '08 - then our running game - which is what the Falcons are built on - suffers greatly - as do our rushing TD's - the goal line stands - and our game in general. The Falcons have always been a power running team. Our O-Line is built for the run - not the pass - and it's evident by the lack of pocket development. What we have are players than can pull for the run and stay with the play til the whistle blows - (and beyond *cough * Dahl *cough* ). This O-line is not built for the pass - and unless we change our entire style of play - Turner is still the key to success for us.

2. William Moore - He really needs to show up this year and be successful. We need him in there at strong safety - and I'd like to see him and DeCoud lined up in that spot - going to be a critical year for him. If he doesn't come through this year - not sure how much more time they will give him to make it to the field.

3. Peria Jerry - We need that push in the middle to give our ends some chance to make pass rush plays. Jerry showed in the game and a half he played for us last year that he can handle 2 guys at once and free up Abe and Bierman to make the plays on the QB. We need him in that lineup to shore up our pash rush - this is a critical piece of our defense.

I would also like to mention that we need to see a breakout year from Jamaal this year. I liked what they did with him last year - moving him in and out and I like what he does for the run. But, if they are going to keep him in the DE position - he needs to make the pass rush more viable - or they need to only have him in for the run plays. He's just not quick enough to make that sack - he pressures and he's great with the run - but we need him to follow through and finish the play. I believe Abraham will show up if the middle of the line is handled - and we need Jamaal to do the same thing.

Nicholas - There are plenty of guys I could have put in my top three, I went with Nicholas for two reasons.

1st - sentimental, after all he's been through I want to see him succeed.

2nd - he's the youngster and Peterson is the old man. It is much better for the future of the franchise if Nicholas can step up and earn the ability to keep his starting spot. I want to see Nicholas and Spoon on the field together, otherwise we'll be looking for another starting LB next year.

I too want to see Nicholas succeed. Peterson showed in those first two games that he can play, but after that he disappeared and I think Nicholas was our best OLB.

I. Pass Rush

Peria Jerry

II. Run Game

Michael Turner

III. Pass Coverage

Christopher Owens

Simply put...our keys to success lie within the problem areas we experienced last year. Turner has to come back and start being a factor week in and week out while also remaining healthy. It's vital that Jerry can come back and contribute at a high level too. He created a huge push that freed up Abraham and Biermann to wreak havoc on QBs - just ask "The Chad". It's vital he comes back healthy. Our secondary showed signs of improvement at the end of the season and while I think you could put Grimes in place of Owens also, I think Owens' maturation is more important due to Grimes being in his 3rd year. Also, an honorable mention would be Harry Douglas. He makes our passing attack that much deadly when he's on the field. If he can come back and play to the potential he showed his rookie season, our offense will be much more explosive than it did in '08.