Friday Night Lights-N Gwinnett

Linkon

Falcons announce third annual Friday Night Lights

by Atlanta Falcons , Staff Reports Share | Print | Font:

« Back To News | More News:News » Press Releases » All-Access » Training Camp » Fans »

Flowery Branch -- The Atlanta Falcons will hold its third annual “Friday Night Lights” team scrimmage this year at North Gwinnett High School in Suwanee, Georgia during Allstate All-Access Weekend starting on Friday, August 6. Head Coach Mike Smith and his team will take the field that night at 7:30 p.m.

“Friday Night Lights” is open to the public and admission is free. This grass roots event includes a fan fest with interactive inflatable games, face painting, sponsor activation, a post event autograph session and a spectacular fireworks show. During the live scrimmage, Coach Smith, Falcons quarterbacks, and certain position players will be mic’d so fans can get an in depth look “inside the huddle” during the scrimmage. WXIA-TV also will be broadcasting live from the event.

The Falcons have traveled from their Flowery Branch facility during training camp to conduct “Friday Night Lights” scrimmages at Brookwood High School in 2009 and Mill Creek High School in 2008. Each scrimmage has been played in front of capacity crowds the past two years.

“This is a special event for not only our fans, but for our players as well,” said Smith. “Our guys love going back to their roots and playing under the lights at a high school field every year. This event provides us the opportunity to reach out to the community and give our fans a chance to get up close and personal with our team as we prepare for the 2010 season.”

“The Allstate All-Access Weekend is a great way for our 300-plus Allstate agencies in Atlanta and the surrounding neighborhoods to connect with the community,” said John O’Donnell, Allstate’s Southeast Assistant Field Vice President. “We live here, we work here, and we help put Falcons fans in Good Hands®. This event also provides an opportunity to encourage fans to join Allstate's effort to help reduce teen deaths and other distracted driver injuries by downloading the Allstate Family Texting Pledge (available at www.allstate.com/teen) pledging not to text and drive. We look forward to another great partnership with the Falcons in August.”

PHOTOS: Photos from 2009 Friday Night Lights (Flickr)

ugh...i guess no more being around "the hood"....

Did you ever consider it might be because the majority of the players live in Sugarloaf, Chateau Elan, or I know of certain other subdivisions in Suwanee that players and personnel live which is also very close to the training facility? I believe it also is because they have an earlier practice at Flowery Branch and then go to nearby high schools.

When has it ever been around "the hood" LOL. Last time it was a little closer to me but I am definitely going to be there this year, I love Friday Night Lights.

guess your forgetting about grady high school..it couldnt get no better than that..I guess changing the culture was meant in more ways then one.

Did you ever consider it might be because the majority of the players live in Sugarloaf, Chateau Elan, or I know of certain other subdivisions in Suwanee that players and personnel live which is also very close to the training facility? I believe it also is because they have an earlier practice at Flowery Branch and then go to nearby high schools.

their place of residents has nothing to do with it. You already know what it is. dont kid yourself..

guess your forgetting about grady high school..it couldnt get no better than that..I guess changing the culture was meant in more ways then one.

Since Coach smith and Co have been here it has never been at Grady High School, maybe that was pre Smitty, which i never went too, but I think that as long as the school is nice and has there own field that can hold a large amount of guests then I dont think it will matter to the Falcons, but at the same time I woouls like to see them consider a school in Atlanta at some point in the future as long as it has nice accomendations.

Since Coach smith and Co have been here it has never been at Grady High School, maybe that was pre Smitty, which i never went too, but I think that as long as the school is nice and has there own field that can hold a large amount of guests then I dont think it will matter to the Falcons, but at the same time I woouls like to see them consider a school in Atlanta at some point in the future as long as it has nice accomendations.

i believe it was the first ever friday night lights, after the midtown touchdown at piedmont park, they had the scrimmage over at grady stadium.

i believe it was the first ever friday night lights, after the midtown touchdown at piedmont park, they had the scrimmage over at grady stadium.

Oh I remember what you are talking about it, yeah i didnt go to that one, I dont think the FAlcons are discriminating man LOL, stop starting stuff crank before i create a Trade MIchael Jenkins Thread LOL

Oh I remember what you are talking about it, yeah i didnt go to that one, I dont think the FAlcons are discriminating man LOL, stop starting stuff crank before i create a Trade MIchael Jenkins Thread LOL

come on now jay, why u gotta play with my emotions like that and start a thread like that.. :D but i mean the proof is in the pudding...2008 it was at mill creek, 2009 it was brookwood, and now gwinnett...you tell me...

come on now jay, why u gotta play with my emotions like that and start a thread like that.. :D but i mean the proof is in the pudding...2008 it was at mill creek, 2009 it was brookwood, and now gwinnett...you tell me...

Trust me dude I think that the Falcons are well aware of the situation they could create if they discriminate, I dont think they want to deal with that Publicity and I think they will have it at a variety of destinations that make sense and Schools in Atlanta make sense, so it will be back in the rotation.

This is the 3rd annual Friday Night Lights -

1st year - Mill Creek High School - in Hoschton - about 12 miles from the TC Facility.

2nd year - Brookwood High School - in Snellville - about 25 miles from the TC Facility.

This year - North Gwinnett HS - in Suwanee - about 14 miles from the TC Facility

Since the guys are staying at the facility during TC - it make sense.

I'm not sure what goes into determining the school - but I know they weren't releasing it during the state of the franchise meeting - and it still seemed to be in the works.

However, I think you're thinking of the football festival in '06 (I think)- which probably led to the whole "Friday Night Lights" deal anyway. That was a full practice at the high school not a scrimmage game. I think Arthur Blank put that together because he wanted to give back to the fans.

1st year - Mill Creek High School - in Hoschton - about 12 miles from the TC Facility.

2nd year - Brookwood High School - in Snellville - about 25 miles from the TC Facility.

This year - North Gwinnett HS - in Suwanee - about 14 miles from the TC Facility

I'm not sure what goes into determining the school - but I know they weren't releasing it during the state of the franchise meeting - and it still seemed to be in the works.

However, I think you're thinking of the football festival in '06 (I think)- which probably led to the whole "Friday Night Lights" deal anyway. That was a full practice at the high school not a scrimmage game. I think Arthur Blank put that together because he wanted to give back to the fans.

Yeah i figured the event at Grady wasnt a Friday night light event because they didnt start until 08, but I wasnt 100% sure so I just went along.

ummmmmmm...

Falcons scrimmage at Brookwood High School

ShareThisPrint E-mail By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Falcons, in an attempt to connect with their fans, took training camp on the road Friday night.

Billed as the Allstate All-Access weekend, the Falcons held an intrasquad scrimmage at Brookwood Community Stadium in Snellville.

“This is all about the fans,” Falcons owner Arthur Blank said. “I remind our players that without these fans we’ve got 11 guys playing sandlot football. The fans are really the ones who bring the franchise to life, whether if it’s in the Dome or on TV.”

The parking lots around the Brookwood High School were full more than two hours before the event, with cars lined up on Webb Gin House Road like it was the Brookwood vs. Parkview game.

Brookwood, a perennial Class AAAAA football powerhouse was proud to host the Falcons.

“Perhaps there is a spinoff from the exposure,” said Dave Hunter, the school’s legendary former football coach and athletics director. “It’s definitely a feather in our cap.”

When the gates opened, the fans stormed through the gates and packed the stands on both sides of the field and nearly filled-in the standing areas in the end zone. A crowd of 12,316 saw the offense prevail over the defense 37-34 in the scrimmage.

“The organization and myself have a real passion for high school football,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “We had our coach-of-the-year banquet that we started, and we want to have a good relationship with the high schools.”

This is the fourth year the Falcons have held a scrimmage at an area high school. The held it at Grady for two seasons and then at Mill Creek last season.

“It’s very important for us to have a connection because if young kids aren’t playing midget football, Pop Warner football, junior high football, or high school football, then you’re not going to have the interest that the NFL has,” Smith said.

The Falcons will take their show to the Georgia Dome today for an event called “Roam the Dome” in which fans will be allowed to take part in skill sessions, get autographs and watch a “mock game.”

The Friday event was the first look at the Falcons this season for some fans.

“I came out to see Tony Gonzalez and see how looks,” said Ernest Spraggins, 19, of Lawrenceville. “It was pretty intense.”

One fan yelled from the stands in Blank’s direction, “Pay Roddy [White] some money.”

But White, the Pro Bowl receiver who is holding out, didn’t have universal fan support.

“I think actually he should play until his contract is up and then talk about a contract extension,” said Anterance Roberts, 20, of Lawrenceville. “If you signed a contact, don’t hold out. He not Randy Moss yet.”

keyword being scrimmage...yes their was a "festival" at piedmont park..I remember some players or the coach being mic'd up during the "srimmage" as stated in the article.

The article is typical AJC reporting - and it's not accurate. I went to both those years - and I remember what it was and why it was.

When the Falcons moved from Furman back to Suwanee it was because of Blank - he really has a heart for Atlanta - and wanted the fans to feel like it was their team. Period.

They set up one full practice at Grady the next year - and they had the Midtown Touchdown the year from **** ('07) with another full practice.

I went to those - it was a full practice. We even got to go on the field.

Bottom line - we don't know what goes into setting these up - but if you are accusing Blank of being racist then you obviously haven't learned a thing about the man since he's owned the Falcons.

their place of residents has nothing to do with it. You already know what it is. dont kid yourself..

Oh fer cryin out loud. One small bone thrown to the folks in Gwinnett county and you're gonna act like that. For shame man...for shame.

Oh woe is me....why don't the falcons come to McCeachern...that stadium is bigger than Brookwood...oh wait...they'll draw more folks in Gwinnett than Cobb or Fulton...

And there you go...

The article is typical AJC reporting - and it's not accurate. I went to both those years - and I remember what it was and why it was.

When the Falcons moved from Furman back to Suwanee it was because of Blank - he really has a heart for Atlanta - and wanted the fans to feel like it was their team. Period.

They set up one full practice at Grady the next year - and they had the Midtown Touchdown the year from **** ('07) with another full practice.

I went to those - it was a full practice. We even got to go on the field.

Bottom line - we don't know what goes into setting these up - but if you are accusing Blank of being racist then you obviously haven't learned a thing about the man since he's owned the Falcons.

Thanks for the breakdown on the previous scrimmage locations. I was about to post the same thing. That is why I made that point related to players who either live near Flowery Branch or there are quite a few trying to make the team who stay at the facilities. Someone trying to turn this into a racist argument is ridiculous. They need to check out the Arthur Blank Foundation and all of the Falcons sponsored events that cater to inner city kids and show up to their local schools and donate money and the players who spend time with those kids. I understand when events are not held near someone's location but it's just sad to turn something positive into a negative without the first clue.

Thanks for the breakdown on the previous scrimmage locations. I was about to post the same thing. That is why I made that point related to players who either live near Flowery Branch or there are quite a few trying to make the team who stay at the facilities. Someone trying to turn this into a racist argument is ridiculous. They need to check out the Arthur Blank Foundation and all of the Falcons sponsored events that cater to inner city kids and show up to their local schools and donate money and the players who spend time with those kids. I understand when events are not held near someone's location but it's just sad to turn something positive into a negative without the first clue.

who's being racists here??who brought the word racists up?? YOU!!! im just telling it like it is. The midtown "festival, "scrimmage" whatever yall want to call it was a success in my opinion, yet the past couple of years, they have held nothing near that same area. Showing up and giving money is one thing to inner city kids is one thing, but putting on a live game like experience to those people who arent financially able to attend a game is a whole different conversation. This is nothing about being held near "my location" as you say it, its about being in a location where "everybody" could get too, somewhere in the middle.

Oh fer cryin out loud. One small bone thrown to the folks in Gwinnett county and you're gonna act like that. For shame man...for shame.

Oh woe is me....why don't the falcons come to McCeachern...that stadium is bigger than Brookwood...oh wait...they'll draw more folks in Gwinnett than Cobb or Fulton...

And there you go...

dont u mean "MCEACHERN"...and yea u are right, that stadium is bigger than brookwood, and much more better but thats not really a "centered" location..

When did Grady High School move to the hood? The last time I checked homes around Piedmont Park range between $4 million and $60k for a condo. If you think that area is the hood you haven't been in a hood. :lol: