Obama press conference...thoughts?

Mostly disappointing. He was too detached and academic in response to an emotional topic. He didn't come across as being in charge--contrast this with Bush's "bullhorn moment" after 9/11--even though he said all the right things. Best moment was at the end when he said that he takes responsibility and will do what needs to be done to stop the spill and manage the cleanup.

Not sure he bought himself any goodwill or leniency with the public with this one. Looks like he'll stop taking a hit politically when he can show results on the ground.

He's just another powerking that won't turn down the flow of cash from the lobbyist, and take a stand for us Americans. He's riding the presidential gravy train, and is loving every minute of it.......

Take a look at our government.........we spend billions allegedly fighting the drug war.....but we have thousands of troops in Afghanistan that maneuver around the acres of poppy fields that produce the majority of the world's heroin, and turn a blind eye.

What happens to the world economy if we stop that trade?

I was particularly disappointed in the way Obama dodged the question that challenged him about 'doing everything possible', especially when the reporter used very specific examples. I know that early on in this crisis--around May 11, the LA governor wanted to immediately build temporary sand barrier islands to protect many of the wetlands and make oil clean up easier, but the Feds wouldn't approve them. Now some of these wetlands have been seriously damaged (possibly permanently damaged according to LA officials) and the Feds are giving the OK on parts of the barrier islands construction. Way to lock the barn door after the horse is already gone.

Proposed Sand Barrier Islands to protect wetlands

I'm actually empathetic to the President's dilemma here, but struck by the irony, and I don't think I can be confused with a cheerleader for him. The failure to allow action by the state because of Federal Permit hold ups will prove to be the biggest blunder. However, the most competent and capable people to handle this situation work for the oil companies, including BP one of the world's largest. The solution will come from them, and it will require their input to put in place disaster plans for situations like this in the future.

My empathy comes from him being stung by the same pervasive feeling (emotional vs logical) across our country that the government can and should be able to solve our problems. What it seems is that our collective consciousness, spurred on by media frenzy, wants to "feel" like everything is being done, when in reality it is the same people who created this problem who will be fixing it.

The problem is that because it has become an emotionally charged public issue, we aren't just interested in fair and effective resolution, this "public collective" wants retribution, which will assuage the current and future blame game that will result, and will materialize in further relying upon/expecting government for the answer.

The irony is at two levels. First, it is any number of Obama's policies that encourage and expand this misguided belief within our society as a whole. Second, it is the very involvement of government that has helped prevent solutions initiated by others (preventing/delaying LA. barriers).

I'm actually empathetic to the President's dilemma here, but struck by the irony, and I don't think I can be confused with a cheerleader for him. The failure to allow action by the state because of Federal Permit hold ups will prove to be the biggest blunder. However, the most competent and capable people to handle this situation work for the oil companies, including BP one of the world's largest. The solution will come from them, and it will require their input to put in place disaster plans for situations like this in the future.

My empathy comes from him being stung by the same pervasive feeling (emotional vs logical) across our country that the government can and should be able to solve our problems. What it seems is that our collective consciousness, spurred on by media frenzy, wants to "feel" like everything is being done, when in reality it is the same people who created this problem who will be fixing it.

The problem is that because it has become an emotionally charged public issue, we aren't just interested in fair and effective resolution, this "public collective" wants retribution, which will assuage the current and future blame game that will result, and will materialize in further relying upon/expecting government for the answer.

The irony is at two levels. First, it is any number of Obama's policies that encourage and expand this misguided belief within our society as a whole. Second, it is the very involvement of government that has helped prevent solutions initiated by others (preventing/delaying LA. barriers).

I would say the irony there is delicious, but it actually tastes a little like dead marine life.

It's the size of the state of SC now. As usual, response on all fronts seems to be too little, too late. First action for BP was damage control, guaranteed. And I'm not talking environmental damage control, I'm talking business reputation damage control.

He didn't let me down. He was able to blame this on Bush.

The policies and appointees of the Bush Administration did help set the stage for this incident.

Of course, the policies of the Obama administration, i.e. continuing the policies of the Bush Administration, also helped set the stage for this incident.

He's just another powerking that won't turn down the flow of cash from the lobbyist, and take a stand for us Americans. He's riding the presidential gravy train, and is loving every minute of it.......

Take a look at our government.........we spend billions allegedly fighting the drug war.....but we have thousands of troops in Afghanistan that maneuver around the acres of poppy fields that produce the majority of the world's heroin, and turn a blind eye.

What happens to the world economy if we stop that trade?

Our Government is a do as I say not as a do Government. If they find out an American company is bribing another company they fine the **** out of them, but at the same time it's ok for our Government officials to get bribed by special interest.

Government politicians simply tell the people what they want to hear to get elected, then do what special interest (AKA Lobbyist) pay them to do.

Edited by Brehus