Bleacher Report : Ten NFL Players Who Aren't Who We Thought They Were.

Michael Jenkins, WR—Atlanta Falcons

I never profess to be one who knows how to evaluate and determine the overall value of a player to his team. I admit from the start that my expertise isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, so save the insults for someone who actually does think a lot of him/herself. Even still, I’ve watched enough of Michael Jenkins to know that he’s no team's No. 2.

He’s prone to drops in key situations and if Roddy White goes down and Jenkins becomes the first option—pray.

If he were relegated to being the third or fourth receiver in a specific package, he might have some value but as a starter, he has little. Last season, in nine starts, he gained 635 yards.

Not bad, right?

After all, the Falcons offense is built around the legs of Michael Turner and complimented by the arm of Matt Ryan—for now—so Jenkins doesn’t necessarily have to be Anquan Boldin or Wes Welker—635 yards is decent.

That is until you consider San Francisco receiver, Michael Crabtree—appearing in fewer games, and minus any real time to sync with the offense—had 625 yards and double the touchdowns of Jenkins in 2010.

Jenkins is not now, nor will he ever be, capable of being a solid No. 2 option. So, why keep looking for him to?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396582-the-nfls-top-10-players-who-arent-who-we-thought-they-were#page/3

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked jenkins ever since we drafted him. Hes not elusive or puts up big numbers but think about it..if we didnt have jenkins and douglas still went down last year..who would be our number 2.

Norwood! :D Jenkins really do need to be more consistant at catching the ball. Really.

Michael Jenkins, WR—Atlanta Falcons

I never profess to be one who knows how to evaluate and determine the overall value of a player to his team. I admit from the start that my expertise isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, so save the insults for someone who actually does think a lot of him/herself. Even still, I’ve watched enough of Michael Jenkins to know that he’s no team's No. 2.

He’s prone to drops in key situations and if Roddy White goes down and Jenkins becomes the first option—pray.

If he were relegated to being the third or fourth receiver in a specific package, he might have some value but as a starter, he has little. Last season, in nine starts, he gained 635 yards.

Not bad, right?

After all, the Falcons offense is built around the legs of Michael Turner and complimented by the arm of Matt Ryan—for now—so Jenkins doesn’t necessarily have to be Anquan Boldin or Wes Welker—635 yards is decent.

That is until you consider San Francisco receiver, Michael Crabtree—appearing in fewer games, and minus any real time to sync with the offense—had 625 yards and double the touchdowns of Jenkins in 2010.

Jenkins is not now, nor will he ever be, capable of being a solid No. 2 option. So, why keep looking for him to?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396582-the-nfls-top-10-players-who-arent-who-we-thought-they-were#page/3

Ok I totally agree that Jenkins does honestly drop way to many balls! I know one play shouldn't determine the outcome of a game but Jenkins dropped a 3rd and 2 shuffle pass against the Saints that would of solidified the win for us against the Saints, and he also dropped a WIDE open rainbow pass in the endzone when we lost to the Giants, if he would of made those catches we would of had 2 more wins and made the playoffs! Although Jenkins does drop easy balls he is a NASTY blocker, probably one of the best in the NFL, he also runs great routes and is a huge redzone threat. I think we can do much better than Jenkins in terms of a pass catching WR but he is our #2 because we are a run first team and he is an amazing blocker. If he can cut out the drops he is a perfect compliment to Roddy, and with HD83 coming back to be our burner in the slot, we will be lethal on Offense!

I don't think Jenkins will ever cut out the drops completely, and he did have 7 drops last year which in only 9 starts is not a good number, especially since he didn't get thrown to as often as guys like Brandon Marshall, who had the same number of drops.

But the guy referenced Jenkins dropping passes in key situations, and I personally think that was something he just pulled out of his backside. Jenkins is one of our more reliable players late in games. My opinion of Jenkins was that he dropped easier passes that he should come down with, but comes up with tougher catches that require more concentration. That is why he's kind of a frustrating player, since theoretically he could bring in all the other easy passes if he concentrated on them like he does the tougher passes.

He won't ever be more than a solid #2, but I think he still has value for us. If we drafted a WR high next year to develop into an eventual #2 or #1 option for us I would not complain though.

I don't think Jenkins will ever cut out the drops completely, and he did have 7 drops last year which in only 9 starts is not a good number, especially since he didn't get thrown to as often as guys like Brandon Marshall, who had the same number of drops.

But the guy referenced Jenkins dropping passes in key situations, and I personally think that was something he just pulled out of his backside. Jenkins is one of our more reliable players late in games. My opinion of Jenkins was that he dropped easier passes that he should come down with, but comes up with tougher catches that require more concentration. That is why he's kind of a frustrating player, since theoretically he could bring in all the other easy passes if he concentrated on them like he does the tougher passes.

He won't ever be more than a solid #2, but I think he still has value for us. If we drafted a WR high next year to develop into an eventual #2 or #1 option for us I would not complain though.

My thoughts exactly. I must say that I was a tad surprised that he didnt step up his game last season after a great 2008. Imo he took a step back in 09, but that still doesnt make him as bad as some make him out to be.

Jenkins is within the league average of 50 receptions for the #2. His YAC is horrible because he all but broadcast his route and sits down on it. He's certainly not a wow factor and it's time for a spark at the #2 slot. When White and Gonzo were covered up Ryan had no where to go. Here's hoping for a healthy Douglas to open things up and possibly one of the rookie's for the future.

But the guy referenced Jenkins dropping passes in key situations, and I personally think that was something he just pulled out of his backside.

That easy TD catch he should've caught against the Giants this past season doesn't stand out to you?

Really?

Jenkins is mediocre at best when it comes to his overall game.

That easy TD catch he should've caught against the Giants this past season doesn't stand out to you?

Really?

Jenkins is mediocre at best when it comes to his overall game.

Of course he doesn't come down with every clutch catch that he could, no one does. And I'm not trying to say he is an elite, clutch WR either. I'm simply refuting the idea that he drops passes in key situations regularly.

He was the guy who hauled down the miracle catch to give us a chance to kick the game winning FG against the Bears, so we have now both mentioned extremist examples that have no real relevance to the conversation.

To be fair to Jenkins he's more like a #3 receiver because we all know that Roddy and TG are our two biggest targets.

Add that to the fact that he's an asset to our running game.

Is he a great #2, no but there is a reason why he's still on the field.

Who was it again who caught Matt Ryan's very FIRST pass in his NFL career and sprinted untouched 63 yards for a TD, shocking the Falcons, the Lions, and the ENTIRE NFL ???

Hmmmmmm.

One play doesn't justify an entire body of work. Besides, every receiver torched Detroit's secondary in 2008 & 2009. Falcons made a big financial commitment to Jenkins so better or worse Jenkins is our #2 at least this year unless one of the rookies step up. There is also a chance Jenkins can come in this year much improved.

You would think if a player with all the physical tools struggles in 1 or 2 technical aspect of the game he would dedicated his off season improving upon it so he can come in a play at a much higher level in the new season.

i go back and forth when i think about jenkins, he is by no means a elite or close to top tier reciver but he isnt bad either... i dont think he should be a #2 reciver either too,(im probly gonna get flames for this) when i think of jenkins i cant help but think of how he could do as a TE :ph34r: because the guy is a great run blocker and he has above average hands and good speed i think if he could bulk up more and keep his speed he would be better off at a TE spot the guy is 6-4 217 he isnt small by any means, but i know it wont ever happen i just cant help but wonder what he could do if it happend

Edited by hookem falcons