Bleacher Report: Top 10 College Players Who Should Have Stayed 1 more year.

At one time, Dominique Franks was thought to be a sure first rounder. The Oklahoma cornerback, with his good size (5’11”, 195 lbs.), and athleticism, left school early thinking he would be a high round draft choice.

Bad move, Dom.

When Franks was finally selected in the fifth round by the Atlanta Falcons, the only bright side to his early departure was that the Falcons were abysmal in the secondary last year.

Because of this, he might be able to shine right away, which may result in a better contract down the road than the one he will have to sign right away.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396076-ten-college-football-players-who-should-have-stayed-another-year-2010#page/2

I know our secondary was bad last year, but it wasnt bad enought that Franks is going to beat out Robinson, Grimes or Owens, he is truly competing for the 4th/5th CB spot, and I dont know if that is enough for him to shine right away. The abysmal part of our Secondary was traded to Detroit.

I know our secondary was bad last year, but it wasnt bad enought that Franks is going to beat out Robinson, Grimes or Owens, he is truly competing for the 4th/5th CB spot, and I dont know if that is enough for him to shine right away. The abysmal part of our Secondary was traded to Detroit.

Great point. I was thinking same thing this will give Franks a year or to to mature and be ready when one of our CB's gets hurt or leaves. decoudhit3.gif

Edited by FalconsSavant

Chris Houston was not the only person playin corner for us last year.......IMO

+1

I agree. To think he's going to beat out the three you just mentioned, or even the latter two with ease is far fetched. I'm not saying it can't happen, but Robinson is on a big money deal, Grimes led the team in INT's and is a great player in campe, and Owens played very well near the end. Most people just don't understand how hard it is to beat out established veterans at a position (Especially when you're drafted in the 5th round or lower). When it does happen, it is the exception not the rule.

Chris Houston was not the only person playin corner for us last year.......IMO

He was consistently the worst CB on our team who got the most snaps, Tye Hill wasnt good either but he didnt really get any snaps. YOu see what happened when Houston was out of the lineup.

He was consistently the worst CB on our team who got the most snaps, Tye Hill wasnt good either but he didnt really get any snaps. YOu see what happened when Houston was out of the lineup.

And every time someone caught the ball on Brent he refused to tackle them.

Brent improved throughout the year. Houston got worse with almost every game he played, at least it seemed like. I have said it numerous times, I am so glad that he and Tye Hill are gone. I really believe if McKay were still in charge both of these guys would still be here.

And every time someone caught the ball on Brent he refused to tackle them

Overstatement - Grimes missed a few tackles as did other players on the team, but Grimes did improves his tackling as the season progressed, but Houston never improved.

I never once saw Brent Grimes shy away from a tackle, i dont know where people get that from. I remember one of the games he missed a tackle then chased the guy down before he could score (SF game i think?). Hes not a big guy so its hard for him to tackle people, but im sure its being worked on

I never once saw Brent Grimes shy away from a tackle, i dont know where people get that from. I remember one of the games he missed a tackle then chased the guy down before he could score (SF game i think?). Hes not a big guy so its hard for him to tackle people, but im sure its being worked on

That was actually Brian Williams because Grimes did miss the tackle, but Grimes has improved and even made a few key tackles in the Chicago game.

Its not just Chris Houston who failed to make plays, Chevis Jackson was just awful everytime he hit the field. I remember Jason Witten abusing him.

Chevis Jackson didnt actaully get many snaps until Williams got hurt as was used in the Nickel Role, but EVen Jackson improved as the season went out and played better the last few games, but again HOuston actually got worse throughout the year and IMO this was his worst year as a Falcon CB.

Chevis Jackson didnt actaully get many snaps until Williams got hurt as was used in the Nickel Role, but EVen Jackson improved as the season went out and played better the last few games, but again HOuston actually got worse throughout the year and IMO this was his worst year as a Falcon CB.

Wen did Jackson get better..... Please clue me in.

Edited by T.Mays

Granted our team played better, but you can't put that all on Houston. Our entire defense played better. We were getting more pressure on the QB and then throw in the fact we played Brohm, Sanchez, Freeman then that is a huge factor.

I think its pretty obvious that Franks won't beat out D-Rob. I doubt he will beat out Owens for NO.2, but i think he has a chance to beat Grimes, but that is unlikely as well.

Franks might get a chance to shine as our punt returner. He averaged 17 yards per punt return last season for Oklahoma! By all reports, he is 6' tall and ran a 4.48 at the Combine. I'm not sure why he didn't go earlier than the 5th.

Brent improved throughout the year. Houston got worse with almost every game he played, at least it seemed like. I have said it numerous times, I am so glad that he and Tye Hill are gone. I really believe if McKay were still in charge both of these guys would still be here.

I too am beyond happy Houston and Hill are gone, but I don't understand what McKay has to do with Hill. TD and Smitty are the ones who brought him here...

I too am beyond happy Houston and Hill are gone, but I don't understand what McKay has to do with Hill. TD and Smitty are the ones who brought him here...

Sorry I should have been more clear. During the McKay era, especially under Mora, we had a tendency to hold on to guys who were terrible much longer than we should. Jason Webster and Alan Rossum come to mind. So I meant, if McKay was still in charge I think both of them would still be here.

One thing I like about TD/Smitty is that they aren't shy about getting rid of people. It doesn't matter if they are fan favorites (Crumpler, Brooking, Dunn, Milloy) or if they brought the person in (Hill and Ben Hartsock). They make sure the best players are on the squad and don't care about anything else.