Five NFL pass rushers on the rise

atljbo

link

Five NFL pass rushers on the rise

Kroy Biermann, DE, Falcons: After putting up five sacks as a part-time player in '09, he has a good chance to beat out Lawrence Sidbury for the starting job at left end. He will benefit from John Abraham's disruptive presence on the other edge.

Everette Brown, DE, Panthers: He flashed pass-rush ability as a rookie backup, collecting 2 1/2 sacks. Now bulked up to replace Julius Peppers, he has an opportunity for a big breakthrough.

Calais Campbell, DE, Cardinals: With Campbell lining up opposite Darnell Dockett, Arizona has the best pair of pass-rushing 3-4 ends in the league. Still developing, Campbell has room to improve on his seven sacks last season.

Larry English, OLB, Chargers: If San Diego trades Shawne Merriman, it would pave the way for English to get regular reps. Even if Merriman stays, English should get many pure pass-rush chances out of the team's 3-4 scheme.

Trevor Scott, OLB, Raiders: He collected 12 sacks his first two seasons, including seven while starting only six games in '09. If he beats out Thomas Howard for the weakside spot, he'll get a lot more upfield opportunities.

Love it. Although it's funny to keep seeing sports writers assuming Biermann & Sid are in competition for the left side when they aren't. The FO has made it very clear that Sid will be taking snaps behind Abe on the right & they are grooming him to eventually take over that position when Abe is done.

If anyone is in competition with Biermann it's Davis. Either way it's moot. The Beer Man is our starting LDE. Everything I've seen & read says he's in great shape & did a lot of extra work this off season to get prepared to be the starter & make an impact. I've even seen comments from some OL who faced him in minicamp that said he's in incredible shape & going to be crazy good this year.

Biermann is a no brainer to have a breakout season. I didn't need some guy on sportingnews.com to tell me that. He has an unbelievable motor and I've liked him since we drafted him and I saw that youtube video of him destroying O-linemen and QB's at montana. All he needed was to gain a little weight and now that he has done that he will be the next Patrick Kerney.

It's so sick that when we drafted him everyone was like "Kroy Biermann? Who the **** is that what a waste of a pick" and Now the 5th round FBS player is a far superior player to McKay's 1st round waste of JA98 (not total waste but for a Top 10 big time)... Just shows TD's amazing due diligence.

I'll admit I was very skeptical of Biermann continuing to add weight so that he could start at LE and not get bullied by bigger, more powerful offensive tackles. I worried that he would continue to pack on weight and lose some of his explosiveness and not be as effective from a pass rushing standpoint. It sure sounds like I was wrong, and boy is that an exciting prospect. I am very excited to see how he does this year. Abe will have help from the opposite side, which will make him more dangerous. Plus we should have some ability to collapse the pocket from the middle with Babs, Jerry, Peters and Vance Walker.

This is very exciting. And good for Biermann for proving me wrong.