Looking ahead

hawkeye

I like to plan ahead like the pro scouts, but this is just my opinion as an amateur(sp) the more I think about

it. The only position that doesn't have a real starter locked in is CB. If you look on both sides of the ball

we have starters and depth at every position except CB. And let's just keep it real we will not be drafting a

DE 1st rd. I'm pretty sure they are set on letting Kroy/Sid develop into being the future at the ends. It's a

possibility we won't have Chevis or B. Will back next year, so I think it would be wise to get a real #2 on the

other side of Dunta. Don't get me wrong I like Owens, Grimes, and Franks, but I think if we could get a player

like Aaron Williams it would really put us in there at both corner spots. Once again Franks fell all the way to

the 5th for a reason, and Grimes/Owens were really our last resorts last year. But if we could get Williams or

even Amukamara I think we would be set. I prefer Williams first tho.

One more thought. The Jets still drafted Wilson #1 even tho they got Revis

and Cromartie. So I think we still need a true #2.

Edited by hawkeye

IMO, the only positions lacking depth are safety and WR. If Douglas returns, we have two wideouts and a slot position taken care of, but not much more. Even if Moore returns, he's the only natural strong safety. Maybe Coleman is going to be better with a year under his belt, though and can switch between SS and FS.

I'm actually okay with CB.

IMO, the only positions lacking depth are safety and WR. If Douglas returns, we have two wideouts and a slot position taken care of, but not much more. Even if Moore returns, he's the only natural strong safety. Maybe Coleman is going to be better with a year under his belt, though and can switch between SS and FS.

I somewhat agree with you on WR, but I was looking at White, Jenks, and HD with the hopes of Meiers and either

Harvey or Wolfe on the PS.

I would say in order of priority.

RB with Norwood & Snelling being FA the running back position will be address earlier.

OLB with Peterson moving on and Nicholas being a FA next

OL possibility of losing as many as 5 olinemen might be a starting OG.

DE I would rule the idea out. Look at the model of the G-Men probably have the best DE rotation but still stack talent for future development. I can see a situation where both C. Davis & JA98 are not on the roster next year.

I would say in order of priority.

RB with Norwood & Snelling being FA the running back position will be address earlier.

OLB with Peterson moving on and Nicholas being a FA next

OL possibility of losing as many as 5 olinemen might be a starting OG.

DE I would rule the idea out. Look at the model of the G-Men probably have the best DE rotation but still stack talent for future development. I can see a situation where both C. Davis & JA98 are not on the roster next year.

I wanna say that I'm only talking about our 1st rd pick. We will re-sign Norwood or Snelling, and have Smith

or Nance as backup. Probably re-sign Nicholas and go with Adkins or Wire and OL has good depth. There is a

possibility of another O-Lineman in the 1st tho. Also look at where we might be picking and are those players

worth taking at that spot. The only one I could see is OT b/c the other true #1's will go early.

I am looking ahead also... I think CB is not our 1st round pick... Since we got Dunta Robinson as our #1 CB.. Ive always felt we had multiple #2 CB's.

But yea.. the 4 positions i am looking at

TE: We have to get Tony G's replacement.... Kyle Rudolph ?

LB: Some may call me crazy for having LB but think about it... From what i am hearing/seeing (articles) ..Spoon will be on the field for Nicholas more then Peterson (IDK Why)... If that happens ... That means they are not totally sold on Nicholas... Adkins can always be ready to step in 2011 but that year's draft will have some really talented LB's

DE: TD wanted either Spoon, Derrick Morgan, or Brandon Graham... If all 3 was on the board Derrick Morgan would be on this team....By TD wanting Robert Ayers in 09 (or either Peria Jerry) and Morgan (or Spoon) in 2010... That tells me DE is on his mind... It looks like TD wants the right DE (not just any talented DE)... Kroy or Sid has to step up big time this year... This is thier year to prove themselves.. Also lets remember... TD likes to think ahead... Abe only have 2 years left on his contract (2010 and 2011) ....

WR: We didnt go after a WR high in this draft but i think its mainly because we didnt have a 2nd round pick... I dont care what anyone says ... We didn't go after Boldin for no reason ... Next year WR class is going to be really good up top (1st and early 2nd round) ... Drafting a young impact WR opposite of Roddy (with Harry in the slot) will be Huge.

IMO, the only positions lacking depth are safety and WR. If Douglas returns, we have two wideouts and a slot position taken care of, but not much more.

Call me crazy but I was rather impressed by Weems' play last year as a backup WR.

I am looking ahead also... I think CB is not our 1st round pick... Since we got Dunta Robinson as our #1 CB.. Ive always felt we had multiple #2 CB's.

But yea.. the 4 positions i am looking at

TE: We have to get Tony G's replacement.... Kyle Rudolph ?

LB: Some may call me crazy for having LB but think about it... From what i am hearing/seeing (articles) ..Spoon will be on the field for Nicholas more then Peterson (IDK Why)... If that happens ... That means they are not totally sold on Nicholas... Adkins can always be ready to step in 2011 but that year's draft will have some really talented LB's

DE: TD wanted either Spoon, Derrick Morgan, or Brandon Graham... If all 3 was on the board Derrick Morgan would be on this team....By TD wanting Robert Ayers in 09 (or either Peria Jerry) and Morgan (or Spoon) in 2010... That tells me DE is on his mind... It looks like TD wants the right DE (not just any talented DE)... Kroy or Sid has to step up big time this year... This is thier year to prove themselves.. Also lets remember... TD likes to think ahead... Abe only have 2 years left on his contract (2010 and 2011) ....

WR: We didnt go after a WR high in this draft but i think its mainly because we didnt have a 2nd round pick... I dont care what anyone says ... We didn't go after Boldin for no reason ... Next year WR class is going to be really good up top (1st and early 2nd round) ... Drafting a young impact WR opposite of Roddy (with Harry in the slot) will be Huge.

Like I said if we are picking anywhere in the 20's I think the best value player and probably player of need

will be CB with OT a strong second. Those are the only 2 positions I see us going with our 1st rd pick. From

your list of positions the only one I can see is WR. And I think that could possibly be 2nd rd. I would like

to have Armon Binns 2nd rd, but he'll be gone early 2nd rd so I could settle for Jerrel Jernigan.

Like I said if we are picking anywhere in the 20's I think the best value player and probably player of need

will be CB with OT a strong second. Those are the only 2 positions I see us going with our 1st rd pick. From

your list of positions the only one I can see is WR. And I think that could possibly be 2nd rd. I would like

to have Armon Binns 2nd rd, but he'll be gone early 2nd rd so I could settle for Jerrel Jernigan.

I agree.. I think wwe will pick in the late 20's - 32 ... I think you can find a good RT in the 2nd round... Thats if Garrett Reynolds does not develop into a starting...

I think TE and WR is the best value as late 1st rounders in next year's draft (if the jrs enter the draft...

I just dont see the need for CB right now (in the 1st round)... You just got a 2nd round talent in the 5th round plus a boatload of young good CB's.

I do like the big CB's in next year's draft tho... Just dont see the need for one in the 1st round right now tho.

I think the Falcons will definitely be looking DE in the first round next year. Maybe Kroy is going to be a star, and maybe Lawrence Sidbury is going to be a player, but it's quite possible only one of the two is going to break out big time, and it's even possible that neither will. Abe is about done. I think it will probably be the position that the Falcons go into the draft feeling like they need to fill with an impact player.

I think the Falcons will definitely be looking DE in the first round next year. Maybe Kroy is going to be a star, and maybe Lawrence Sidbury is going to be a player, but it's quite possible only one of the two is going to break out big time, and it's even possible that neither will. Abe is about done. I think it will probably be the position that the Falcons go into the draft feeling like they need to fill with an impact player.

I just don't see this class as a good class for DE's. I don't think they have that high motor and most are too

big IMO for DE. They are more suited for DT. The only 2 I really like and they will go early are Quinn and

Clayborn. I think Romeus will probably be a bust if you take him 1st rd.

I just don't see this class as a good class for DE's. I don't think they have that high motor and most are too

big IMO for DE. They are more suited for DT. The only 2 I really like and they will go early are Quinn and

2011 DE class is much deeper than last year. In the addition to the three you mention Sam Acho, Jeremy Beal, Cliff Matthews, Ryan Winterswyk & Ryan Kerrigan and those are just the senior of the class all of which have 1st or second round grades.

Drafting a CB in the first round would inhibit the growth of all the young talent we already have. The question one would have to ask and is similar to the reason I was not in favor of a drafting a DE this year is. Can a rookie come in and beat out Grimes, Owens, Franks, Robinson and Jackson for playing time most of which have two or more years in our system?

Edited by head busta from augusta

I agree and disagree with you.

I agree that i dont think we will use a 1st round pick on DE.... TD seems to want high-in DE's in the 1st round... I dont see those type DE's being on the board when we pick.. Guys like Quinn, Romeus, and Clayborn is going to be gone.. I dont think Clayborn will be on our board anyway (off the field stuff)

I will say this..... Watch out for Nick Perry (beast for USC) and Aldon Smith ... Those are the only 2 guys that could be there and worth getting in the 1st round.

I could see us using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a DE tho.

I agree and disagree with you.

I agree that i dont think we will use a 1st round pick on DE.... TD seems to want high-in DE's in the 1st round... I dont see those type DE's being on the board when we pick.. Guys like Quinn, Romeus, and Clayborn is going to be gone.. I dont think Clayborn will be on our board anyway (off the field stuff)

I will say this..... Watch out for Nick Perry (beast for USC) and Aldon Smith ... Those are the only 2 guys that could be there and worth getting in the 1st round.

I could see us using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a DE tho.

Honestly, watch out for Ryan Kerrigan. I scouted him last year in two games and I like his game, but obviously he has some things he needs to improve on. He is a team leader, he is all hustle and he flies off the line. If he got a little stronger and added some weight to get up to 270-275 he would remind me some of Patrick Kerney to be honest. I don't think he will end up in round 1 since he won't put up 10 sacks and won't be a workout warrior, but he looks good when you watch him on film and from what I know he is a team leader and a hard worker. That is the kind of guy TD targets, and if he has another good season this year for Purdue I would not be surprised at all if we picked him in the top 2 rounds.

2011 DE class is much deeper than last year. In the addition to the three you mention Sam Acho, Jeremy Beal, Cliff Matthews, Ryan Winterswyk & Ryan Kerrigan and those are just the senior of the class all of which have 1st or second round grades.

Drafting a CB in the first round would inhibit the growth of all the young talent we already have. The question one would have to ask and is similar to the reason I was not in favor of a drafting a DE this year is. Can a rookie come in and beat out Grimes, Owens, Franks, Robinson and Jackson for playing time most of which have two or more years in our system?

Jeremy Beal is the only possible 1st rounder on that list (to me) unless they just have amazing years... They are good 2nd round talent tho.

I agree with the CB statement... I like Prince Amukamara... I dont even think he will make it into the 20's tho...

I Feel like Chris Owens is a true #2.. I think Franks can grow into a 1 or 2 in a could of years... Also to the OP... We will blitz more but the Jets are totally different from us... They blitz so much.... They need 3 CB's that can man cover all most all game... So i dont think we can use the Jets as an example.

I just dont see the need for a 1st round CB.... Atleast not right now

Honestly, watch out for Ryan Kerrigan. I scouted him last year in two games and I like his game, but obviously he has some things he needs to improve on. He is a team leader, he is all hustle and he flies off the line. If he got a little stronger and added some weight to get up to 270-275 he would remind me some of Patrick Kerney to be honest. I don't think he will end up in round 1 since he won't put up 10 sacks and won't be a workout warrior, but he looks good when you watch him on film and from what I know he is a team leader and a hard worker. That is the kind of guy TD targets, and if he has another good season this year for Purdue I would not be surprised at all if we picked him in the top 2 rounds.

I agree that Kerrigan is the type of guy TD likes... I also think he is not a 1st rounder... Ryan Kerrigan is that high motor guy... That 2nd/3rd rounder type guy (2nd round most likely) ... He is a guy that is just a football player... He is not going to test well.... I agree that he is a TD type guy.

(I saw the Purdue vs Ohio State game.. Kerrigan balled out that game)

I agree that Kerrigan is the type of guy TD likes... I also think he is not a 1st rounder... Ryan Kerrigan is that high motor guy... That 2nd/3rd rounder type guy (2nd round most likely) ... He is a guy that is just a football player... He is not going to test well.... I agree that he is a TD type guy.

(I saw the Purdue vs Ohio State game.. Kerrigan balled out that game)

I'd be surprised if he went in round 1 at this point considering the potential depth of the DE class. But that just means we could get a deal picking him in the 2nd in my opinion. I have been high on him for quite a while, and you are right about him balling in the Ohio State game. He made Pryor look like a 3rd string QB.

But he is definitely a TD type guy, so it will be interesting to see if we express interest in him.

I think it depends on how the folks who will be FA's after this year play this season & if they re-sign or not.

If Snelling does really well, he'll look to be the #1 on some other team. We won't pay him what he'll want & he'll be gone leaving a huge depth hole for an all-purpose back behind Turner.

If Norwood does well, we'll probably re-sign him. If he gets hurt again or bombs & Snelling doesn't re-sign, we will 100% be looking for a RB as our first pick. We can't have Turner by himself with no depth & no CoP back to take some snaps. If Norwood doesn't re-sign with us for whatever reason, but Smith or Nance step up as the change-of-pace back, then RB moves to a late round pick.

We're not going to re-sign all 3 FA OL's. Likely only Dahl, hopefully also Clabo but possibly not since Reynolds might step up & Clabo might ask for too much. If we lose only Blalock, we'll draft an OG in top 4 picks to play behind Johnson. If we lost Clabo, we'll draft a RT in the top 4 to play behind Reynolds. And I think one of our top 3 picks will definitely be a LT no matter what. It wouldn't make sense that we drafted OL for depth this year only to lose almost all that depth next year because of FA & go back to Svitek & Ojinnaka as backups. Although some of this does depend on if Valdez steps up as well, which I hope he does, the guy is huge & looked pretty good at minicamp.

Either way, OL at LT & at least one OG is a very high priority next year.

Peterson's contract is up & Nicholas is a FA next year too, so I think JBO is right, LB might be a top 4 pick as well.

Also, depending on what happens at RB, TE could be the #1 pick. Unless Peek or Palmer turns out to be a gem. But I have a feeling we go after the top TE in round 1.

We may not even draft a DE at all if Abe blows it up with 13+ sacks & proves he's got plenty in the tank & Biermann+Davis combine for 10+ on the left & Sid gets 5+ with 400 or so snaps behind Abe. If it's anything like that, which is what we're hoping for this year, DE isn't a priority. If it's much worse than that, then yes, depending on how much worse is what determines where the DE is picked IMO.

As for receiver, baring any injuries, I think we're set for a while. Especially if Meier, Harvey, and/or Wolfe turn out to be special. WR is certainly not a priority if White, HD, & Jenkins perform well this year. And if even one of the rookies looks to be exceptional depth, WR won't even be a draft pick.

CB isn't a priority at all either, neither is safety. Again, this is depending on everyone staying healthy & playing to expectations. As it is right now, we have a bona fide #1 under a huge contract & we have 3-4 quality CB's competing for #2, which also means our depth is outstanding. And between DeCoud, Coleman, Moore, Giordano, & possibly Schillinger, there's no way we even think about a safety unless someone like DeCoud goes down with an injury.

Of course, none of this is realistic at this moment, just pure speculation. One of more people in important positions will likely get injured. It's inevitable. And that's going to change the entire makup of our draft. If by some freak chance nobody gets injured this is the way I see it.

1. TE or RB

2. OT or OG

3. DT or DE

4. LB or OL

5. RB or OL

6. depth somewhere

7. depth somewhere

Edited by Beef Jerky

I think it depends on how the folks who will be FA's after this year play this season & if they re-sign or not.

If Snelling does really well, he'll look to be the #1 on some other team. We won't pay him what he'll want & he'll be gone leaving a huge depth hole for an all-purpose back behind Turner.

If Norwood does well, we'll probably re-sign him. If he gets hurt again or bombs & Snelling doesn't re-sign, we will 100% be looking for a RB as our first pick. We can't have Turner by himself with no depth & no CoP back to take some snaps. If Norwood doesn't re-sign with us for whatever reason, but Smith or Nance step up as the change-of-pace back, then RB moves to a late round pick.

We're not going to re-sign all 3 FA OL's. Likely only Dahl, hopefully also Clabo but possibly not since Reynolds might step up & Clabo might ask for too much. If we lose only Blalock, we'll draft an OG in top 4 picks to play behind Johnson. If we lost Clabo, we'll draft a RT in the top 4 to play behind Reynolds. And I think one of our top 3 picks will definitely be a LT no matter what. It wouldn't make sense that we drafted OL for depth this year only to lose almost all that depth next year because of FA & go back to Svitek & Ojinnaka as backups. Although some of this does depend on if Valdez steps up as well, which I hope he does, the guy is huge & looked pretty good at minicamp.

Either way, OL at LT & at least one OG is a very high priority next year.

Peterson's contract is up & Nicholas is a FA next year too, so I think JBO is right, LB might be a top 4 pick as well.

Also, depending on what happens at RB, TE could be the #1 pick. Unless Peek or Palmer turns out to be a gem. But I have a feeling we go after the top TE in round 1.

We may not even draft a DE at all if Abe blows it up with 13+ sacks & proves he's got plenty in the tank & Biermann+Davis combine for 10+ on the left & Sid gets 5+ with 400 or so snaps behind Abe. If it's anything like that, which is what we're hoping for this year, DE isn't a priority. If it's much worse than that, then yes, depending on how much worse is what determines where the DE is picked IMO.

As for receiver, baring any injuries, I think we're set for a while. Especially if Meier, Harvey, and/or Wolfe turn out to be special. WR is certainly not a priority if White, HD, & Jenkins perform well this year. And if even one of the rookies looks to be exceptional depth, WR won't even be a draft pick.

CB isn't a priority at all either, neither is safety. Again, this is depending on everyone staying healthy & playing to expectations. As it is right now, we have a bona fide #1 under a huge contract & we have 3-4 quality CB's competing for #2, which also means our depth is outstanding. And between DeCoud, Coleman, Moore, Giordano, & possibly Schillinger, there's no way we even think about a safety unless someone like DeCoud goes down with an injury.

Of course, none of this is realistic at this moment, just pure speculation. One of more people in important positions will likely get injured. It's inevitable. And that's going to change the entire makup of our draft. If by some freak chance nobody gets injured this is the way I see it.

1. TE or RB

2. OT or OG

3. DT or DE

4. LB or OL

5. RB or OL

6. depth somewhere

7. depth somewhere

Snelling is a good backup but no way in **** is he a #1 RB... I love Snelling but the guy is not a #1... I dont think Snelling will cost allot to resign

I think Garrett Reynolds is key to determining what we need... If he can be a starting RT... We dont need a O-Lineman early in next years draft.. It looks like Dahl may be the guy returning... I do love the identity Dahl gave our O-Line.

We will see... I only see ussigning 1 of the 3 O-Lineman (Dahl, Clabo, or Blalock)

Snelling is a good backup but no way in **** is he a #1 RB... I love Snelling but the guy is not a #1... I dont think Snelling will cost allot to resign

I think Garrett Reynolds is key to determining what we need... If he can be a starting RT... We dont need a O-Lineman early in next years draft.. It looks like Dahl may be the guy returning... I do love the identity Dahl gave our O-Line.

We will see... I only see ussigning 1 of the 3 O-Lineman (Dahl, Clabo, or Blalock)

Oh I agree about Snelling not being a #1, but you know he & his agent are going to argue that #2 RB's don't run for 147 yards in 1 game (even though we all know that was against TB), so they'll use that as a platform for pushing him as "Obviously if given the chance he can perform like a #1 RB, just look at the TB game."

We've got quite a few FA's plus losing Peterson & likely Gonzo. To re-sign some & fill those holes is going to be expensive. Some might not re-sign simply because of money, no matter how valuable they are to us, we may just not be able to give them what they're asking for because there's so many.

It's so crazy to even try to speculate about this stuff right now anyways. Injuries & performance are going to change it all come year end.

The good news right now though with what we do know, is that the only glaring holes after this season, IMO, are TE (unless Gonzo doesn't retire & re-signs, which actually is still possible), depth behind Baker at LT, & maybe depth behind Babs at DT (although i'm confident Walker will step up in that role, just my feeling though). Honestly, other than that, which isn't much, I feel we look outstanding for #1 & #2 talent at every other position at this moment.

I think the RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, and CB positions are all going to be on the "hot-spot" this year and depending on how those positions perform is how we will probably be drafting. If Turner/Norwood/Snelling can't produce this year, or are inflicted with injuries again, I think that will be a possible first round consideration. The same goes for the WR position. I think we will opt out of taking a 1st round TE, unless there is someone who stands out and honestly, as it stands right now I can't think of a "great" TE in college football. If everything is looking great, I think we would consider some O-Line depth in the first. The defensive line, however, is going to be our biggest hole going into the season, but with our young DE's that could very well change based on their performance. I don't think we'll take another LB in the first, I just don't see it happening. Which leaves us with the dreaded CB position that Atlanta is always lacking. If Grimes/Owens/Robinson can't step up, I think we'll be strongly considering that in the first.

The good news right now though with what we do know, is that the only glaring holes after this season, IMO, are TE (unless Gonzo doesn't retire & re-signs, which actually is still possible), depth behind Baker at LT, & maybe depth behind Babs at DT (although i'm confident Walker will step up in that role, just my feeling though). Honestly, other than that, which isn't much, I feel we look outstanding for #1 & #2 talent at every other position at this moment.

According to Rotoworld Gonzo doesn't become a FA until 2012.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=ATL

I agree with most of what you saying but the thing about RB but the way I see it is we will only re-sign Norwood if he can remain health. And I think even if we do or don't re-sign Norwood, Snelling is gone. Love him as a back but he is the same kinda back as Turner with better hand and slower feet. We would need a change of pace type of back one who could run outside the hash marks versus inside like Turner does. He also will be at least looking for 2nd string money which he deserves for a 3rd string spot could be expensive (think Chester Taylor).

I don't see us draft a number two running back in the first same goes for TE which I like RB Saine OU, Locke UK & TE Grantt MSU) which neither are first round grades.

Edited by head busta from augusta