Seven Reasons to Be Excited in 2010

Peyton

Ok, so I've recently been accused of being too negative. Well, I'm not, but I have posted on things that I am skeptical about lately, so I wanted to try and get the focus back on the positives.

Seven Reasons to be very excited about the Falcons in 2010-

1. Depth on the Offensive Line - Last year Falcons fans were praying that nobody on the O-Line got hurt, and the coaches could not address performance issues because of a lack of faith in the guys backing up the starters. With Garrett Reynolds having a year under his belt and the Falcons spending two mid round picks on guys with long and distinguished college careers, they have gone a long way toward not only insuring themselves against injuries, but they will also have the option of making performance related changes to the lineup if need be. This would not have been possible in 2009.

2. Unprecedented depth at cornerback - I have been famously skeptical about Robinbson's ability to come in and be an elite type number 1 corner, but there is no question that he helps the depth of the secondary. With the development of Grimes and Owens and the drafting of Franks, the future is bright for the Falcons secondary for years to come.

3. The Return of the ACL brothers - There is no question that losing Douglas, Jerry, and Williams to knee injuries hurt the Falcons last year. If those guys are close to 100% this year, they will make a big contribution to the team's success in 2010. If Moore can stay healthy for a minute, that will be an additional bonus.

4. The schedule is much easier this year - Obviously, the Falcons still have to give 100% to win these games, but the number of almost impossible road games has gone down dramtically this year.

5. The Falcons are scarred but smarter. Adverse situations are better learning opportunties than success, so the Falcons should have learned plenty last year. Matt Ryan and Mike Smith and everyone else on the team is going to look back at the what could have been done differently, and the Falcons will be better for it.

6. Sean Weatherspoon - I was slow to warm up to this pick, but I think he is going to be a dramatic updgrade for the Falcons in coverage at either OLB position. That is really the aspect of the LB play that needs to be upgraded.

7. The Saints have a ton of distractions. Without the distractions, it might be very hard for the Falcons to win the division and get the first round bye or home field advantage. In the past, reigning SB champs that get the knds of distractions the Saints have come upon have bombed. Let's hope the same happens with the Saints.

So, plenty of reasons to be excited about the Falcons in 2010, the season can't get here fast enough.

Edited by Peyton

5. The Falcons are scarred but smarter. Adverse situations are better learning opportunties than success, so the Falcons should have learned plenty last year. Matt Ryan and Mike Smith and everyone else on the team is going to look back at the what could have been done differently, and the Falcons will be better for it.

I think this started happening when Ryan got back last year, he started taking more shots down the field in those last 3 games. During his time off I think he looked at how he was playing different from '08 and saw he was playing a little scared and came out and looked like Ryan of '08, just not fully healthy. I think it may have been some Mularkey as well.

I couldnt agree with you more on points 1 and 2. They really made those positions the deepest on our team by far imo.

Regarding the return of our "ACL brothers" (I love that expression ^^), its probably gonna feel like getting an entire draft class all over again, at least when talking bout Jerry and Moore.

Great post, Peyton.

All points are good ones, and since most people have already noted number 5, I will mention that number 1 not only makes this team much better this year, and much more capable of withstanding injuries to the OL, but I think they got two future starters in this draft. They will have a lot more flexibility next year with the Dahl/Clabo situation, and they won't necessarily HAVE to sign both if the price isn't right. I think they may sign one of the two, with other playing RG. Starting OL in 2011:

LT - Baker

LG - Johnson

C - McClure/Hawley

RG - Dahl/Clabo

RT - Reynolds

Another good post Peyton although instead of "famous" you may be infamous with some pansy posters about your view on Dunta.

I have another reason to be excited: I think the D line will be much improved. I see Biermann becoming a complete LDE this year. He should be stronger and bigger than last year and remember last year he went from 243lbs as a rookie to 260. Sidbury will be much more involved and will make plays for us (sacks and tackles for losses). Babs, Peria and Peters are going to be forces on the interior particuliarly in passing downs. I believe with our improved secondary our line will get a few more seconds which will give Abe the split second he needs to again put up ProBowl numbers. Notice I did not mention Busterson, at this point he has almost become irrelevent.

#8- I have season tickets. The falcons have never lost a regular or post-season game that I have attended in the Georgia Dome.

True, season tickets are mainly a reason for ME to get excited, but the numbers don't lie.

I think I've only attended one loss - Feeley missing a 39 yarder to win in the second game of 2002. That game was about as frustrating as they come, and I had a 500 mile drive home afterward.

I think I've only attended one loss - Feeley missing a 39 yarder to win in the second game of 2002. That game was about as frustrating as they come, and I had a 500 mile drive home afterward.

My record wasn't looking to good last November at the Falcons-Buccaneers game. But we were sitting in the end zone that Roddy caught the game winner in.

Lets add a few things. One, Robinson is going to make all our WRs and QBs better. With the imrpoved competition in camp, Ryan is going to progress as a QB while Jenkins Douglas and the other WRs will be having to practice against Robinson and Williams. This makes all of them better players.

You can extend that to our rookies coming in too. Peters and Johnson will certainly help our lines become more competitive in camp, while Franks seems to have some talent.

Our nickel and dime packages figure to be VASTLY improved over last year, with Weatherspoon staying on the field as a pass rush/protect LB. Compare our CBs and Safeties with last years, its not even close talent wise. With all the new talent and the depth it brings, we should have good rotations at every position on the team.

Plus here is an intangible...its an even year. Falcons teams tend to do well during even years.

Good news all the way around.

Edited by egoprime II

dope post, agree with all the posts with the added fact we are starting to see that blue-collar, true football player type chemistry come together. There are very few players on the roster I can think of that haven't been playing their position for over 7 years, which just adds to the movement we're creating here in Atlanta. great time to be a Falcons fan if I say so myself.

#8- I have season tickets. The falcons have never lost a regular or post-season game that I have attended in the Georgia Dome.

True, season tickets are mainly a reason for ME to get excited, but the numbers don't lie.

In that case maybe you should travel with the team.

Great points and I'd like to add a #8

#8 Michael Turner coming into training camp and the season healthier and stronger than last season. He admitted himself that he didn't go into last season in excellent shape. As the season went on and before his injury I think we were seeing sparks of the 08 Turner. This year I believe he will explode on the field and once again be a top 5 RB.

The biggest thing to me is the schedule. I think last year's team could have won 11 or 12 with this schedule. This year's team will surely manage that.

Every difficult (as projected) team we play out of our division is in the Dome. In-division games are a wash as usual, with one home, one away. I think 11 wins will likely be enough to win our division. I have a feeling the mighty Saints will be a 9 or 10 win team this year, and probably split the 2 game series with us.

Just think, if we can manage 12 wins, I would guess we would have home field advantage in the playoffs up until the NFCCG. If we catch a couple breaks and finish with 13, there's a good chance we'd have home field throughout (That's all it took for the Saints last year).