The 2009 Season - Success or Not?

Peyton

Was the 2009 Season a Success?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Using your own definition of "Success", was the 2009 season a "Success" for the Falcons?

Based on the injury situtation and how the team played at the end of the year when out of the playoffs turning in first back to back winning seasons in eternity...then Yes. Missing the PO was a disapointment. But a sucessful year all together. And even though they didn't make the PO I can see the building of this team into a sucessful franchise.

Well, it wasn't a failure.

Considering the adversity they faced between injuries and a fairly difficult schedule, finishing with a record that usually gets a playoff berth wasn't bad.

Edit: It's berth, not birth you idiot.

Edited by trickworm

When I think of "success", I think of John Wooden's definition - "Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

That's the definition I like to use. Based on that criteria, I do not think the Falcons season was quite a success, because I do not think that everybody in the organization did thier best at all times.

I guess some might argue that success in the NFL = Lombardi trophy, and to a extent

they're probably right. Personally I consider 2009 to be a successful year, if for no

other reason that we finally achieved BTB winning seasons. Furthermore, we continued

to lay the foundation for a long term winning experience. I'm happy :)

Those last 3 games, after we were eliminated from the playoffs, showed that we have the character and determination to become a champion. Especially when we beat NYJ, in the snow, in their house. Especially with our best players playing through injuries, and our reserves stepping up to fill in. And as a lifetime fan, having back to back winning seasons was important to me. Backing up the stated goal of being a consistent contender, even if we missed the playoffs, was a success in my eyes.

There are many levels of success and failure. The Colts failed to win the Superbowl. The Jets had a hugely successful season and didn't get to the big dance. One's judgment of success or failure often says more about the person doing the judging than anything else.

When I think of "success", I think of John Wooden's definition - "Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

That's the definition I like to use. Based on that criteria, I do not think the Falcons season was quite a success, because I do not think that everybody in the organization did thier best at all times.

Do you think the other athletes that race against Usain Bolt think they are successes even though they train their entire life to get beaten by a guy running 3/4 speed? Under Wooden's definition yes they are.

Do you think the other athletes that race against Usain Bolt think they are successes even though they train their entire life to get beaten by a guy running 3/4 speed? Under Wooden's definition yes they are.

Well that is for them to decide. They all know they are going to lose to Usain Bolt. I am sure they go into the races thinking they are capable of racing a certain time, and they make thier own determination on if they were successful or not. I'm not a big fan of track and field, so I'm not educated on whether or not these unnamed athletes are successful.

Those last 3 games, after we were eliminated from the playoffs, showed that we have the character and determination to become a champion. Especially when we beat NYJ, in the snow, in their house. Especially with our best players playing through injuries, and our reserves stepping up to fill in. And as a lifetime fan, having back to back winning seasons was important to me. Backing up the stated goal of being a consistent contender, even if we missed the playoffs, was a success in my eyes.

There are many levels of success and failure. The Colts failed to win the Superbowl. The Jets had a hugely successful season and didn't get to the big dance. One's judgment of success or failure often says more about the person doing the judging than anything else.

Well I don't think Matt Ryan, Mike Smith, or Thomas Dimitroff consider last year a successs. And I think that says something good about them.

Well that is for them to decide. They all know they are going to lose to Usain Bolt. I am sure they go into the races thinking they are capable of racing a certain time, and they make thier own determination on if they were successful or not. I'm not a big fan of track and field, so I'm not educated on whether or not these unnamed athletes are successful.

How can that be for them to decide? You decided the Falcons wern't succesful because you "felt" they didn't give their all. You're not educated to no whether the Falcons players were successful by that standard or not. You're not in the film room. You're not in the weight room, you're not on the practice field. you're not in the meetings, you're not their dietician, you don't know their faiths. You don't know what they're thinking about. You know about as much about the Falcons organization as you know about track and field. Nothing. You're a fan of the team and thats as far as you can go about knowing what the team and each individual person does. Unless you have some sort of super inside scoop.

How can that be for them to decide? You decided the Falcons wern't succesful because you "felt" they didn't give their all. You're not educated to no whether the Falcons players were successful by that standard or not. You're not in the film room. You're not in the weight room, you're not on the practice field. you're not in the meetings, you're not their dietician, you don't know their faiths. You don't know what they're thinking about. You know about as much about the Falcons organization as you know about track and field. Nothing. You're a fan of the team and thats as far as you can go about knowing what the team and each individual person does. Unless you have some sort of super inside scoop.

Sure, but I have an opinion of the Falcons. I don't have an opinion track and field.

What would make them consider a season a success?

I think if the front office did everything they could to get the right players in the right place, the coaches did everything to get the players prepared with the fewest amount of mistakes possible, and the players played as well as they possibly could with the fewest mistakes possible, then I think everybody would consider that a success.

Why are you trying so hard to prove me wrong on my opinion?

I thought the Falcons were capable of more. You disagree. Let's just agree to disagree, it's all good.

The 2009 season was a disappointment, to be sure, since a team that at the beginning of the season had every expectation to make the post-season didn't do so. However, there were so many positives that shown through that makes the prospects of the upcoming 2010 season so tantalizing.

Perhaps the greatest positive is this is a Falcons team that showed the world – and themselves – that just because, for whatever reasons, the play-off games were out of reach was no reason to quit. The goal of having back-to-back winning seasons may not be all that important in the grand scheme, but the Falcons decided that it was a goal worthy of effort – and they did it! Winning the last three games, especially the one against the Jets, and attaining that goal showed a fortitude that will pay off enormously in the upcoming seasons.

Contrast that with what happened to the 2005 Falcons. That team towards the end of that season did visibly quit on their coaches, their fans, and themselves. In retrospect, the debacles of the next two seasons shouldn't have been surprising.

So yes, I would count the 2009 Falcons season as a success. The Falcons played most of the season at, as best, 80% efficiency and still had a winning season. This is a team that has something to prove - and I think they will.

I don't believe there are several levels of success or failure and I don't believe that those are the only two determinations that can describe effort and conclusion. On one hand, we balled perhaps as well as we could have given the injury situation and schedule bombs. The team didn't devolve into poor chemistry and on-field embarrassments.

However, the lowest rung of "success", IMO, is at least making the playoffs and we didn't do that. T

herefore, if the choices available are "success", "failure", or "meh", last season was definitely "meh". There's reasons for optimism and a lot of areas of opportunity.

I voted that I think 2009 was a succes.

- Back to back winning season (makes you wonder what angle the reporters and commentators will have on us next year).

- We still had a chance (statistical, but still) to go to the playoffs at week 15. Given the flurry of injuries at key positions as the season progressed, thats impressive.

This topic is stupid.

If we didn't have half the team go down with injuries & the worst schedule in existence, then it would be prudent to guage the season based on success or failure.

What is the point of this topic? What will it prove?

Oh yeah, it gives you the ability to take subtle jabs at the team & organization again.

This topic is stupid.

If we didn't have half the team go down with injuries & the worst schedule in existence, then it would be prudent to guage the season based on success or failure.

Oh yeah, it gives you the ability to take subtle jabs at the team & organization again.

Sorry you feel that way.

I love the team, love Thomas Dimitroff, love Mike Smith, love Matt Ryan, I love most all the guys on the team except JA98 and Dunta Robinson.

I disagree that the topic is stupid. Have a nice day.

This topic is stupid.

I bet you feel better now that you used all of your daily negatives on me. I feel properly punished for starting this thread.

Sorry you feel that way.

I love the team, love Thomas Dimitroff, love Mike Smith, love Matt Ryan, I love most all the guys on the team except JA98 and Dunta Robinson.

I disagree that the topic is stupid. Have a nice day.

So answer my question then. What does declaring 2009 a success or not accomplish? What point were you trying to make?

The way it comes across, you're basically trying to say that even though we had 10 people injured & a rediculously hard schedule, we still should have done much better. Which is selfish & moronic.

So answer my question then. What does declaring 2009 a success or not accomplish? What point were you trying to make?

The way it comes across, you're basically trying to say that even though we had 10 people injured & a rediculously hard schedule, we still should have done much better. Which is selfish & moronic.

It's making discussion. It's a message board, that is what we do here.

Selfish? Dude, it's all good.