Rewatching 09 Season

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I hate to blame it on injuries but the biggest injury in my mind was Harry. Becaue we have that smash mouth run game but Harry will open un the Defense and spread the D out and thats when we would have see Tony be effective but be effective the way we wanted him to be.

I dont think we ever really wanted for Tony to be the play maker he was last year I think we wanted him to be the guy on 2nd and 6, 1st down, 3rd and 5, 1st down underneath is where he can truly kill, in the redzone TD Tony stuff it Tony. It takes 2 to cover him but it takes a saftey and sometimes a corner to take care of Harry and with 1 safety on Harry or a corner on Harry, who will you double team? Roddy and have Tony beat you or TOny and have Roddy beat you? oh and by the way while your thinking about that heres comes turner up the A Gap behind Ovie, have fun.

So to me Harry was the biggest injury becasue of what we could have done to teams but when Turner and Ryan went down during the season that just locked us up even more.

Edited by 84White32wood

Rewatching all the games from 09 and injuries ruined this team... I think our O will be alot better. When we threw more often out of 3 WR sets, we were moving the ball at will..I think

The injuries just exposed the lack of quality depth at Receiver, RB, DB, OL and DL. It is interesting that there seems to be LOTS of potential in all of those positions this year. I know the front office is paying attention. If you throw in the injury to the kicker (or whatever happened to Elam) you can easily see 2 games that could have been wins.

I believe Matt Ryan will have a much better year with healthy RB’s, Time to throw and someone besides Roddy and TG available on 3rd down.

I am so excited about this pre-season.

Injuries are a part of the game. Teams that can overcome them or not have too many injuries can compete week in and week out.

Injuries are a part of the game, we had enough for our offense to be a slug. Luck have it, Snelling has the heart of a lion. He was running like Turner did in 08.

That was the foucus of this years draft. Older drafts they went for starters and guys to fill in holes. This year other than Spoon, all the picks were directed at building a foundation of good backups who in time can become starters. Because injuries are part of the game. And NO they could not provide picks at every position in the draft.

well the cowboys didnt have too many injuries. What happened to them then?

what do you mean man, they stomped on us, had a better record, and made it into the playoffs...they did better than us :wacko: while I don't believe a "great" team would be able to lose their starting QB for significant playing time in last year's NFC(especially the NFC South) and make it to the playoffs, I think we've added quality depth at all positions, so the injury bug won't be as fatal as last year.

Even with the injuries, I think the Falcons were "competitive" in 4 of those 7 losses.

NYG loss by 3 in OT

NO#2 loss by 3

Car#1 loss by 9 but it was close late in the 4th Qtr.

NO#1 loss by 8 but again it was close late in the game.

only big losses were

NE, Dallas, Philly

And I agree that the additions this year will help

BUT do not forget that everyone else also added players this year!

Edited by delaigle

Injuries, Kicking, and CB play were the 3 biggest problems we had last year. Not to say we couldn't improve in lots of areas (like pass rush), but those 3 is what caused us to lose games more than anything else.

We won the last 3 games, with a new kicker & inspired CB play from Grimes & Owens. Considering we added Dunta, kept Bryant, and are getting healthy, we should be significantly improved. This latest draft may have been for depth, but rookie back ups will make their share of mistakes. I will say that the schedule last year was unreasonable and it appears we've been assigned a much better one. That can only help.

Yea I hate to blame it on injuries but the biggest injury in my mind was Harry. Becaue we have that smash mouth run game but Harry will open un the Defense and spread the D out and thats when we would have see Tony be effective but be effective the way we wanted him to be.

I dont think we ever really wanted for Tony to be the play maker he was last year I think we wanted him to be the guy on 2nd and 6, 1st down, 3rd and 5, 1st down underneath is where he can truly kill, in the redzone TD Tony stuff it Tony. It takes 2 to cover him but it takes a saftey and sometimes a corner to take care of Harry and with 1 safety on Harry or a corner on Harry, who will you double team? Roddy and have Tony beat you or TOny and have Roddy beat you? oh and by the way while your thinking about that heres comes turner up the A Gap behind Ovie, have fun.

So to me Harry was the biggest injury becasue of what we could have done to teams but when Turner and Ryan went down during the season that just locked us up even more.

I believe this as well! This basically what killed the offense. Snelling averaged almost 5 yds per carry, so the run game was there. We had problems spreading the field.

The Defensive injuries became a monster of their own.

How is the injury thing bogus when your starting qb, rb. wr, dt, db are out

What starting WR was hurt?

Quality teams overcome injuries. The Saints had tons of injuries last year, but still started 13-0 and won the Super Bowl.

The injury stuff is lame. The Falcons didn't get it done. This is a new year.

Quality teams overcome injuries. The Saints had tons of injuries last year, but still started 13-0 and won the Super Bowl.

I concur completely, my point was that the Falcons are getting close.

With a little more depth (or a little more luck) they could have

won 4 of those losses last year.

I included Douglas

I wasn't aware that the Saints lost Brees, or Thomas last year. The Saints did not have injuries like the Falcons did.

I included Douglas

I wasn't aware that the Saints lost Brees, or Thomas last year. The Saints did not have injuries like the Falcons did.

Oh dude, come on.

The Saints top 3 running backs lost games because of injury.

The Saints started 5 difference cornerbacks in games last year because of injury. They were signing every washed up veteran that was available and immediately putting them out on the field.

Shockey missed 4 games.

Fujita was injured.

Ellis was injured.

Lance Moore missed more than half the season and was never right.

Darren Sharper missed two games due to injury and had to have his knee worked on in the offseason.

Jon Stinchcomb missed several games.

And a bunch more.

The Saints actually had more injuries than the Falcons. It's just that they kept winning so nobody felt it necessary to feel sorry for them.

I concur completely, my point was that the Falcons are getting close.

With a little more depth (or a little more luck) they could have

won 4 of those losses last year.

It's true, the Falcons didn't have depth. Right now, I would agree that it looks like we've got more this year, particularly in the secondary and at the WR position.

The injuries just exposed the lack of quality depth at Receiver, RB, DB, OL and DL. It is interesting that there seems to be LOTS of potential in all of those positions this year. I know the front office is paying attention. If you throw in the injury to the kicker (or whatever happened to Elam) you can easily see 2 games that could have been wins.

I believe Matt Ryan will have a much better year with healthy RB’s, Time to throw and someone besides Roddy and TG available on 3rd down.

I am so excited about this pre-season.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh dude, come on.

The Saints top 3 running backs lost games because of injury.

The Saints started 5 difference cornerbacks in games last year because of injury. They were signing every washed up veteran that was available and immediately putting them out on the field.

Shockey missed 4 games.

Fujita was injured.

Ellis was injured.

Lance Moore missed more than half the season and was never right.

Darren Sharper missed two games due to injury and had to have his knee worked on in the offseason.

Jon Stinchcomb missed several games.

And a bunch more.

The Saints actually had more injuries than the Falcons. It's just that they kept winning so nobody felt it necessary to feel sorry for them.

Your saying the injury situation in ATL is bogus, yet you got Matt Ryan saying that weren't for the injuries he feels we were closer to 12-13 wins. So i'm not going to say that we just weren't as good a team. I'll go with Ryan, thanks

The injuries hampered our success, you can deny if you want, I'm not

Edited by JKH5785

Your saying the injury situation in ATL is bogus, yet you got Matt Ryan saying that weren't for the injuries he feels we were closer to 12-13 wins. So i'm not going to say that we just weren't as good a team. I'll go with Ryan, thanks

The injuries hampered our success, you can deny if you want, I'm not

Well I didn't hear that Ryan was playing the injury card, that's too bad.

Your saying the injury situation in ATL is bogus, yet you got Matt Ryan saying that weren't for the injuries he feels we were closer to 12-13 wins.

Can you point me to that dude, because I just read an entire article on Ryan saying the team is close to "12 or 13 wins", and I can't find where he mentions injuries at all. Thanks.

Using the Saints as an example is a bit of a stretch. They had everything else go their way and even a Saints fan will tell you this is true.

Ok, let me be more blunt. Even without the injuries, the team didn't play as well as I thought that it would, and I think the players themselves, particularly Ryan and Gonzales, have expressed this exact same sentiment.