The problem with the past two decades of Mexican immigrants.

I AM 51

Previous groups of immigrants, which all of us have descended from, became Americans, pure and simple. Yes, we held on to some cultural things, but in the end we became Americans. I mean, the founding fathers ancestory was surely British, but by the time of the Revolution came around not many had the British accent. Mexicans are the only ones to ever come to America and expect America to change to suit them, and they are doing it. The examples are numerous, but besides all the spanish everywhere, the point was never brung home as well as when five students are sent home from a school in America for wearing American flags on thier shirts. Yet,the very next day mexicans were proudly waving the mexican flag in a protest march. Pray be.

I'm not taking sides in the California case, but did those kids wear their flag shirts to school on any other days? The problem, as I understand, was not their attire, but the reason they wore it when they did. If somebody waited until Martin Luther King Day or Juneteenth to wear tee shirts with a confederate flag on them to school, I'd be part of the crew that would have a problem with it. It wouldn't be nearly an issue for me if one or some of them wore the same shirts any other day of the year.

Those kids were looking for a reason to call the press and should not be lifted as "patriots". True to form, people have found themselves outraged about the issue and they are being played for fools.

Oh, and there are Irish, Italian, Greek, and Chinese festivals and celebrations all over the US, so Mexicans are not the only ones holding on to their old countries and heritage, so a Cinco de Mayo celebration is as American as apple pie.

Oh, and there are Irish, Italian, Greek, and Chinese festivals and celebrations all over the US, so Mexicans are not the only ones holding on to their old countries and heritage

The Irish, the Greeks, and the Chinese all speak our language and don't expect the rest of the population to cater to their unwillingness to conform to the nation in which they are living.

so a Cinco de Mayo celebration is as American as apple pie.

Do you even know what is celebrated on May 5th (other than drinking Corona)?!? It is IMPOSSIBLE for Cinco De Mayo to be as American as apple pie!!

I'm not taking sides in the California case, but did those kids wear their flag shirts to school on any other days? The problem, as I understand, was not their attire, but the reason they wore it when they did. If somebody waited until Martin Luther King Day or Juneteenth to wear tee shirts with a confederate flag on them to school, I'd be part of the crew that would have a problem with it. It wouldn't be nearly an issue for me if one or some of them wore the same shirts any other day of the year.

Those kids were looking for a reason to call the press and should not be lifted as "patriots". True to form, people have found themselves outraged about the issue and they are being played for fools.

Oh, and there are Irish, Italian, Greek, and Chinese festivals and celebrations all over the US, so Mexicans are not the only ones holding on to their old countries and heritage, so a Cinco de Mayo celebration is as American as apple pie.

I have no problem with Cinco de Mayo and I have no problem with those kids wearing the American flag on May 5th regardless of the reason. Sure they are jerks, but that isn't against the law.

I also wouldn't have a problem with someone wearing a shirt with the Mexican flag on it on the 4th of July. Like I said, no matter what the kids intended, it should NEVER be wrong to wear the symbols of your country.

It does not matter what day it is in America to wear a shirt with the flag on it. Were in America. Go to some other country, we are ther only nation where showing patriotism is a crime.

It does not matter what day it is in America to wear a shirt with the flag on it. Were in America. Go to some other country, we are ther only nation where showing patriotism is a crime.

Really? We're in America? Are you saying there aren't people in Chinatown (New York and San Francisco) that don't speak English? And again, if you pick Cinco de Mayo to become patriotic, I submit that you aren't at all. Patriotism is not a crime. Neither is ethnic pride.

Really? We're in America? Are you saying there aren't people in Chinatown (New York and San Francisco) that don't speak English? And again, if you pick Cinco de Mayo to become patriotic, I submit that you aren't at all. Patriotism is not a crime. Neither is ethnic pride.

This whole thing make no sense.

They want to be free, just like anybody. And want to live in America, just like anybody. You can't blame them for that, now can you?

Everyone does not want to live in America. Everyone does not want to be an American citizen. But if you do, go through the system legally.

I have no problem with any of those three sentences.

Edited by TeamPlayer1

REally??

were the kids arrested?

detained?

read Miranda rights?

Nope........... its not a crime here either.

REally??

were the kids arrested?

detained?

read Miranda rights?

Nope........... its not a crime here either.

they were detained and sent home. not by law enforcement, but still their freedom of speech/expression was violated.

Previous groups of immigrants, which all of us have descended from, became Americans, pure and simple. Yes, we held on to some cultural things, but in the end we became Americans. I mean, the founding fathers ancestory was surely British, but by the time of the Revolution came around not many had the British accent. Mexicans are the only ones to ever come to America and expect America to change to suit them, and they are doing it. The examples are numerous, but besides all the spanish everywhere, the point was never brung home as well as when five students are sent home from a school in America for wearing American flags on thier shirts. Yet,the very next day mexicans were proudly waving the mexican flag in a protest march. Pray be.

I think your analogy would make more sense if the British came to America and spoke Ojibwe....

I'm pretty sure that in the past immigrants weren't able to intergrate themselves fully into the society of the US(whatever that was, if it existed at the time) within 20 years. But there's no doubt that the US has gone further to accomodate the Mexican immigrants than it did it the old days. But that's not totally a bad thing either. Maybe you need to brush up on your Spanish based on the projected population demagraphics of this country.