Glenn Beck Gets Slammed Over Gold Ads

Statick

Glenn Beck Gets Slammed Over Gold Ads

By: Steven James Snyder

TIME

Forget fast-forwarding through the commercials. New York Congressman Anthony Weiner clearly watches his news broadcasts live, because hes seen some ads that have really ticked him off.

Weiner is calling for an investigation into precious metals seller Goldline, a company Weiner claims employs conservative broadcast talkers to scare viewers into investing in gold - at grossly inflated prices.

On numerous occasions, Glenn Beck has dedicated entire segments of his program to explaining why the U.S. money supply is destined for hyperinflation with Barack Obama as president. He will often promote the purchase of gold as the only safe investment alternative for consumers who want to safeguard their livelihoods. When the show cuts to commercial break, viewers are treated to an advertisement from Goldline, Weiner says in a report released Wednesday.

Also mentioned by name in the report: Fred Thompson, Dennis Miller, Mark Levin, Laura Ingraham, Lars Larson, Michael Smerconish, Monica Crowley and Mike Huckabee. All paid Goldline spokespeople, all taking to the airwaves to tell people to invest in gold and fast.

Weiner says Goldlines most egregious, misleading sales tactic has involved the standard pricing of its gold which he claims is 90 percent above melt value. That means the value of gold would have to double for the buyer to simply break even on the purchase. Beyond that, Weiner says, Goldline representatives present themselves as financial advisors even though they have no license to do so.

Goldline has already caused something of an ethical stir over at Fox News. Beck was a paid spokesperson for the company, until he was forced to step down in order to conform to network ethics policies. Even after that mini-scandal, however, Goldline remains a major sponsor of Becks show. If Weiner has his way, those ads will change quite a bit and fast.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is JUST NOW coming out? Really?

I figured out that operation after 4-5 of his shows. Of course, I didn't know the depth of it.

I had no idea, especially since I stopped paying any attention to Beck after he started crying on the air and characterizing everyone as Hitler.

Sadly though, I wish Weiner wasn't behind this case.

Democrat

BIG supporter of healthcare bill, and pushed hardly for the single payer system.

For partial birth abortions, and abortions of any kind.

Major supporter of Israel.

Seems like hackery swinging at hackery.

I hope a weiner isnt behind my "case" either

One problem as it relates to Beck and others "pushing gold" is that in the past when economies began to behave like ours is, gold was just about the best possible investment opportunity because it sky rockets in price when the dollar sinks and inflation raises its' head.

However, the part where they say that Beck is shilling for a company that charges a 90% premium for the gold, is a problem. If I understand it correctly, the company should be able to charge some premium over the melt price, because it they didn't, they would be operating as a non-profit. Does this company charge more than the price of gold on the commodity markets?

Does this company charge more than the price of gold on the commodity markets?

And if so, why are people actually buying from them? Common sense would suggest you shop around... and preferably through a broker you've at least heard of outside of a single radio ad.

Why are 3 Presidential advisors and a Congressman attacking a show on Fox?

You would think they had better things to do huh?

People should go after him about his Hitler and Satan crap.

He's such an idiot. And people actually listen to him....

That's why. Too many people are willing to swallow just about everything that guy has to say without question and that makes him dangerous to whatever aspirations they have.

That's why. Too many people are willing to swallow just about everything that guy has to say without question and that makes him dangerous to whatever aspirations they have.

and yet our government is fine with evangelists bilking people out of millions and having nothing to show for it and they are fine with not doing any testing or regulating of 'health supplements' which is a billion dollar industry proven to be causing health problems

I would be more concerned about Congressional authority being used to bully a private enterprise. Obviously no one else on radio or TV is pushing overpriced bad products. :rolleyes:

Seriously ask yourself, why does this matter?

misrepresenting themselves as financial advisors when they have no license to do so sounds like something the government should get involved with.

I would be more concerned about Congressional authority being used to bully a private enterprise. Obviously no one else on radio or TV is pushing overpriced bad products. :rolleyes:

Seriously ask yourself, why does this matter?

If what they are saying is true about Beck and the others then this is very different. The product being pushed by Beck, and the reasons they use to support the idea of buying gold is based on convincing citizens that our economy is certain to implode and that hyperinflation is assured. This could have the effect of helping to push our economy over the edge.

Maybe I'm being naive or just hopefull.. But I seriously doubt millions of Americans are taking economic and invesment advice from a clown like Glen Beck..For those that foolishly are.. It's not the government jobs to keep idiots from making dumb investments..

Don't knock the hustle...

If what they are saying is true about Beck and the others then this is very different. The product being pushed by Beck, and the reasons they use to support the idea of buying gold is based on convincing citizens that our economy is certain to implode and that hyperinflation is assured. This could have the effect of helping to push our economy over the edge.

I don't get it, are you implying that if I buy gold I will help destroy the economy?

misrepresenting themselves as financial advisors when they have no license to do so sounds like something the government should get involved with.

Yes, if that was actually the case. Inference from a Congressman doesn't represent a formal complaint by legal authorities.

People are capable of making their own decisions, and market forces will bear out inflation regardless of pundits schlepping inferior products.